Reappraisal Game

18in32

Petard Hoister
Wow, a lot happened today to justify a reappraisal of the staff...

(a) CDP finally put together a game plan that really seemed to work. Our RB corp is obviously the strength of the team, yet who would've thought we could run the ball so effectively against such a strong run defense? Yet once we saw it would work, we went back to it time and time again. Good job by CDP IMHO, the first time this year he's given me some hope for his future.

(b) What's up with the OL? Seems like the CJP hangover is in full effect... could barely stop a guy on a drop back, but could open up lanes here and there for 6-8 rushing gains. Were we doing a lot of cut blocking? It didn't seem like it to me, but I have an untutored eye.

(c) The second half improvement was again so very marked today – but that means so much more in a competitive game. Don't know what kind of juice we're feeding those guys at the half, but we need to start giving it to them before the game.

(d) Really impressed with the execution on the fake punt. Granted that the Miami guy covering Nate took a down off at the very best moment, but it was a great pass, too. I'm reminded of the 2pt conversion against UNC that was perfectly executed. Good to see that we're able to do the trick plays well.

(e) I'm getting kinda concerned about the discipline/mental aspect of the game. We were playing such clean (penalty-free) ball initially, but over the past couple of games we've had a number of dumb plays that have had a pretty big impact on the game. Today the procedure call when they roughed Pressley Harvin was huge, as was the false start on Brenton King's FG. We were lucky to overcome both of those in the end.

(f) Speaking of kickers, a pretty strong game from both of them, and Wells actually got us a touchback I believe. Obviously we were incredibly fortunate that 2 Miami kickers missed 3 FG's between them, but that kind of stuff cuts both ways and in the end we did what we needed to do to win.

Acknowledging that Miami isn't real good, nevertheless, this was all in the all by far the best game of the CGC era. Miami's not real well coached but they have some real talent and some good playmakers and we battled them as equals.

Let's hope an off week full of the groovy vibes of victory heals us up and gets us ready to finish strong. While I still think beating UGA is a highly unlikely, I don't think any of the remaining ACC teams has looked unbeatable. I realized we're still a pretty bad team, but we showed definitely signs of improvement today.

For the first time since the start of the season, I've got some tangible (non-juice, post-game) hope for the our future under CGC.

Last edited:

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Lots of good in that post. Sort of feel we kept ourselves in the game through a dirty game. Not meaning playing dirty but scoring a TD on the fumble scoring on special teams. Finally we started moving the ball through the run. Still can’t defend the off tackle type plays. I’m glad we found a way to make plays early not necessarily by the O. It kept us in the game long enough to begin getting the wheels turning. This will be what we need moving forward imo.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
This team showed today who they are. Can’t be happier with them. They aren’t the best team in the world but they are solid, with work can punch hard and find a way to win in the end.

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
One thing that really helped the D today was the O actually moving the ball early. At half there was only a 2 min diff in TOS and as the second half wore on, at the 10 min mark of the 4th qtr, we had a 30-20 lead in TOS. In that heat & humidity that really makes a diff for our D being able to stay fresh.

Too many dumb penalties, but that;'s correctable.

It's a W, an ACC W, and maybe the critics will relax til Pitt comes to town in a coupla weeks, a respite our kids need.

ThomsonJacket

I don't know
Very good running backs, wideouts, defensive backs, young but good QB. Need linemen, Tight ends, and both linemen, but I see improvement in the play of those needed positions, have to give it to the coaches there.

Killick

“The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
Good coaching doesn't allow two #2's on the field at the same time your kicker hits a 52 yarder that would have won it in regulation.

On the illegal formation with the Harvin roughing the kicker penalty, I went back to look and it was a BS call. He was lined up the same as the other OL. We either had 5 in the backfield or 9 in the backfield.

I think that sometime during the week, the coaching staff decided that if they want to win another game they should run the ball.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
I think that sometime during the week, the coaching staff decided that if they want to win another game they should run the ball.
Wouldn't surprise me if Patenaude simply stole some plays from Duke but I don't care we beat da U

18in32

Petard Hoister
Good coaching doesn't allow two #2's on the field at the same time your kicker hits a 52 yarder that would have won it in regulation.
Pretty sure that the penalty that undid Brenton King's FG was a false start. The identical numbers were Miami players, I think. One of them put on a different number.

cincyjacket

Dodd-Like
If we can consistently get scores from our D and Special Teams, we have a chance.

RussianOffense

НЕТ ВОЙНЕ
I didn't think it was as ugly as some of you guys are making it out to be. We had some penalties but penalties happen in every game, even with great teams. The first celebration penalty, Collins took the blame for it because he told the players to have fun & the first celebration penalty was on him.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
Pretty sure that the penalty that undid Brenton King's FG was a false start. The identical numbers were Miami players, I think. One of them put on a different number.
You are correct. Killick was wrong. They called false start on 93.

KrazieJacket

Dodd-Like
Maybe my insinuating this as an ugly game early confused some of you. I’m sorry and take it back. We won and damn it was great.

texstinger

Dodd-Like
Too much thinking.

This season was, and is, about a system & culture change as much as W & L.

Theses players have not stopped fighting like hell in every game. And they won’t.

Any casual observer knows that it would be near impossible to gauge W & L on a team with Sr injuries, the death of a team leader, a move to finally manage a roster, so many frosh minutes of play time, O & D system changes. And all combined at once.

The season isn’t over and we may win more than expected last week or lose more than expected tonite.

The key is the culture of never stop fighting on every down. We will succeed in that regard no matter what.

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
a) This was probably our worst offensive game since Temple, but we did a better job of possessing the ball and killing clock in the second half which was our formula to win this game with how things were going. Have to be more effective passing, but not at the expense of hamstringing the defense. Good job of reading the rhythm of the game.
b) our OL is not the best. Way way way too many blockers facing our backfield at the end of the play. Passing, running, doesn't really matter. The difference in effectiveness is margin of error.
c) see a.

I told y'all we were going to win at least one more game. It's disappointing that this is the first time so many of y'all are seeing the improvement the team is making. We'll keep taking positive steps, we're going in the right direction.