"Reasonable" Expectations?

GT3000

Damn Good Rat
I'm curious - what does everyone "reasonably" (in parenthesis because I understand that logic and reason does not always accompany college football) expect for Georgia Tech football each year?

We (I guess I can say that as an Alum) have tremendous history and tradition associated with college football. Nobody needs to be reminded that we recently won a BCS bowl against an SEC team who lost by 5 that year to eventual National Champion runner-up Alabama at Bryant-Denny in Tuscaloosa. We have a National Championship (only 26 years ago!) which is a decade more recent than anyone else in the state.

That being said, should we expect to contend for National Championships ? Conference Championships? Bowl games each year?

I have tempered my expectations (getting older) but still watch every game and try to get to as many as possible to view in person. Should it be reasonable to expect 10, 11, 12 win seasons?

I know we have limitations that other schools don't face and it would be naïve to suggest that they don't factor immediately into the number of wins every year.

Me, a 3-0 start was great, particularly over a ACC opponent in Ireland. I expect to beat Duke, UVA and Ga Southern. I think we can definitely compete with Pitt and North Carolina this year. So I'm looking at 7-2 with those teams (including Clemson loss).

That leaves Va Tech, UGA and Miami. 1 of 3 of those would be 8-4. To me, that would be a successful season.

What are your "reasonable" expectations?

My expectations:
Compete for the Coastal (most every year)
Occasionally compete/win ACCCG (every 3 to 5 years)
Make bowls most every year
When the stars align, make a bowl and compete in the playoffs. (Once every 10-15 years)

Edit: Beat U(sic)GA 2-3 out of 5 almost goes without saying. More than 1-7

Last edited:
Since you asked - my reasonable expectations are to beat ugag 50/50.

When that is accomplished the ACC will generally take care of itself.

If we want to continue to claim what we can not due because of unis/academics (which only comes up with a loss)/ and other excuses then we should get out of football business. Divert all $ to basketball. GT should not be involved with an endeavor that does not have excellence as a goal.

My expectations:
Compete for the Coastal (most every year)
Occasionally compete/win ACCCG (every 3 to 5 years)
Make bowls most every year
When the stars align, make a bowl and compete in the playoffs. (Once every 10-15 years)

These are my expectations pretty much exactly. Though I would say I expect to make a bowl every single year given that it's not that hard.

I will also add that losing 26-7 to the #5 team in the nation while outscoring them in the second half does not necessarily fall short of my expectations. I would not be surprised to see Clemson beat a lot of other teams a lot worse than that this season

It almost goes without saying, but next week is a huge game for us. Beat Miami and we can still have a great season. Lose and it's looking like another mediocre one at best. Don't forget, in 2014 we looked pretty damn bad at times in the first half of the season and lost to UNC and Duke, and I'm sure we all remember how that season turned out.

I expect you to die.

ab07aeaf392f4a48dbf4abe490003696998e692b.gif

Last edited:
It almost goes without saying, but next week is a huge game for us. Beat Miami and we can still have a great season. Lose and it's looking like another mediocre one at best. Don't forget, in 2014 we looked pretty damn bad at times in the first half of the season and lost to UNC and Duke, and I'm sure we all remember how that season turned out.
I'm convinced that the best thing that happened to our team in 2014 was Watson going down early in that Clemson game and that sack of potatoes coming in as his replacement. Clemson is real good football team and they have been for a few years now. I'm not at all shocked by last night.

I'm convinced that the best thing that happened to our team in 2014 was Watson going down early in that Clemson game and that sack of potatoes coming in as his replacement. Clemson is real good football team and they have been for a few years now. I'm not at all shocked by last night.
It's not shocking how pathetic our O looked? Even what's their name scored more points than us in Death Valley. I'm shocked and embarrassed.

It's not shocking how pathetic our O looked? Even what's their name scored more points than us in Death Valley. I'm shocked and embarrassed.

How could you be shocked when we looked that way pretty much all last year? Sad, yes. Shocking? Not really.

I pretty much am in the same boat. Compete for the Coastal, go to a bowl, beat UGAy more than 1 in 7.

Lastly if we lose to a team like Clemson, fine. But don't get embarrassed on national television. Last night was a dumpster fire on O.

Clemson is a really good football team. We're probably just mediocre.

If we spend the rest of the season playing grabass like we did last night, I'll be shocked. But seeing a team that outclasses us in talent and well versed in our offense chew us up isn't shocking. There's not another team we've played more than Clemson since Paul Johnson has been here, right?

Back