"Reasonable" Expectations?

How could you be shocked when we looked that way pretty much all last year? Sad, yes. Shocking? Not really.
I am shocked that we looked so pathetic. Only a notch above Wake Forest level quality of play.

It's not shocking how pathetic our O looked? Even what's their name scored more points than us in Death Valley. I'm shocked and embarrassed.
Meh, the first half was embarrassing but the 2nd half was about what I expected. Honestly, the game went almost EXACTLY like I predicted on both sides of the ball except I thought we would hit on some big pass plays. We didn't, and the ineptitude there was the saddest part, IMO.

Also, Clemson spends time all season and offseason preparing for GT. They have coached against our offense for years, and many of their players have faced us 2, 3, even 4 times. They heard all week that it was a trap game and they were clearly ready. How mentally prepared do you think Clemson was for Troy?

I think we are what I expect us to be. GT has become increasingly elite academically and has relatively few majors compared to the other ACC schools. The student body looks nothing like any high school in the nation. Add the urban campus in a ööööhole city and you are recruiting from a pretty small pond. I can't imagine one of Clemson's defensive linemen looking into the crowd and thinking this could have been the place for him. I think many of our athletes embody the spirit of student athletes rather that athletes-who-entertain-students/alumni and I admire them for that. I wish it was like that everywhere. We will have outliers like 2014 (and I hope 2015 was an outlier.)

In the long term, I expect us to beat UVA, BC, WF, NCS and Duke every time we play them. I expect us to beat Syracuse, Miami and Pitt 50% of the time. I expect us to beat Notre Dame and UNC 30% of the time. I expect us to beat Clemson, FSU and UGA 10% of the time. I expect to be proud of our team's effort and sportsmanship 100% of the time.

I think we are what I expect us to be. GT has become increasingly elite academically and has relatively few majors compared to the other ACC schools. The student body looks nothing like any high school in the nation. Add the urban campus in a ööööhole city and you are recruiting from a pretty small pond. I can't imagine one of Clemson's defensive linemen looking into the crowd and thinking this could have been the place for him. I think many of our athletes embody the spirit of student athletes rather that athletes-who-entertain-students/alumni and I admire them for that. I wish it was like that everywhere. We will have outliers like 2014 (and I hope 2015 was an outlier.)

In the long term, I expect us to beat UVA, BC, WF, NCS and Duke every time we play them. I expect us to beat Syracuse, Miami and Pitt 50% of the time. I expect us to beat Notre Dame and UNC 30% of the time. I expect us to beat Clemson, FSU and UGA 10% of the time. I expect to be proud of our team's effort and sportsmanship 100% of the time.
While a little disheartening, this is not unreasonable. Particularly the bold part.

Bowl eligibility should be the initial goal. Then can aim higher once we get to 6 wins. People throwing 9-3 around need to check themselves or prep for the butthurt.

I think we are what I expect us to be. GT has become increasingly elite academically and has relatively few majors compared to the other ACC schools. The student body looks nothing like any high school in the nation. Add the urban campus in a ööööhole city and you are recruiting from a pretty small pond.
This is a BS copout. There are increasingly more and more talented football players who have the grades and the ability to excel at GT, not fewer. ööööhole city is retarded. The state is consistently the #4 state for talent in the country. It is not a small pond.

O'Leary went to Homer Rice and asked for a raise. He wanted to be paid top 25 money because he knew he could deliver a top 25 team.

He did. 5 straight top 25 AP finishes; 3 in a row over UGa. That's my expectation. Maybe not top 10, but top 25. There is no reason why not.

It can be done again with the right commitment to the program. I'm just not sure that the GTAA Board dominated by profs has that commitment. Too many fans are happy with the current staff that has won only 5 of 25 games over the last 6 plus years against UGa, VT, Miami and Clemson.

We don't get better because the fans don't demand better. Many fans have low expectations, and the ones that might demand more tend to walk away instead.

Good luck to Todd Stansbury. He is going to need it.

Last edited:
It can be done again with the right commitment to the program. I'm just not sure that the GTAA Board dominated by profs has that commitment. Too many fans are happy with the current staff that has delivered a 5-25 record over the last 6 plus years against UGa, VT, Miami and Clemson.

We don't get better because the fans don't demand better. Many fans have low expectations, and the ones that might demand more tend to walk away instead.

Good luck to Todd Stansbury. He is going to need it.

Honestly, I think you are right. I think a lot of our alumni and school staff look at the scandals at some other schools, the prostitutes at Louisville, the fake classes at UNC, the sexual assault coverups at Baylor and FSU, the rumors of money everywhere, etc., and think that it's probably not worth going balls out to try to win in today's college sports landscape.

And no, just because those other schools did it doesn't mean we can't try to win without doing that sort of stuff, but people see the big name programs doing that sort of stuff and worry that we'll end up doing it too if we get more "serious" about winning. They're happy with a guy like CPJ or CCG, who will keep big-time football around, give us a special year every once in a while, and run a very clean program.

(And to be fair, that is kind of how I feel too. I do think there is some more we could do in the way of exceptions that I would be okay with, but overall I'm not really sure how big of a "commitment" to winning I want to make.)

This is a BS copout. There are increasingly more and more talented football players who have the grades and the ability to excel at GT, not fewer. ööööhole city is retarded. The state is consistently the #4 state for talent in the country. It is not a small pond.
Expecting GT to compete for top athletes with Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Clemson, Tennessee and the rest of the SEC is a BS copout. GT is no longer a southern engineering school. It has evolved into an international engineering school and the academic standards are world class. When you walk on campus at a southern university, it feels like a huge version of high school. GT does not. It is not the same school that Bobby Ross or George O'Leary or even Chan Gailey represented. I believe that the student body has diverged from the southern base to the point that it alienates the athletes. I am certainly proud of GT's academic stature, but believe that it makes recruiting high school athletes very difficult.

Expecting GT to compete for top athletes with Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Clemson, Tennessee and the rest of the SEC is a BS copout. GT is no longer a southern engineering school. It has evolved into an international engineering school and the academic standards are world class. When you walk on campus at a southern university, it feels like a huge version of high school. GT does not. It is not the same school that Bobby Ross or George O'Leary or even Chan Gailey represented. I believe that the student body has diverged from the southern base to the point that it alienates the athletes. I am certainly proud of GT's academic stature, but believe that it makes recruiting high school athletes very difficult.

How about let's compete with Miami and VT then. We are 5-20 since 2010 against VT, Miami, Clemson and Georgia. Take out 2014 and the record is 1-20. We aren't competitive against 1/3 of our schedule. If that is inherently true, let's drop football.

The Academic Excuse is crap. GT fans used the limited curriculum excuse forever. GT has far more majors than it did in the 70's. High flunkout rate has been an excuse, and the rate was very high in the 70's. GT now brags about a 97% freshman retention rate. The Academic Excuse has been around for the 47 years I have been a fan. Yet, the good coaches like Ross and O'Leary found a way around it. Even Gailey was catching on to the recruiting game, which showed in Johnson's first two GT teams.

Check out where the 2 deep was from in 1990. More than half were from over 300 miles from campus. Check out the current 2 deep. We recruit rural southern high schools, and then say academics are why we are not competitive. What a load of BS.

The vast majority of GT fans seem to like making excuses more than they like to win. Losers.

Agreed. A high school athlete with good grades can succeed at GT, so not an excuse. I'm not making excuses. I'm saying that expecting us to be consistently better than average is unrealistic. It's great when it happens, but is not repeatable.

Beat Miami by at least 20

Back