Receiving Game without Smelter

Hopefully we can run all over FSU like we did in 08 and 09. I wouldn't think their run defense is much more disciplined

I get that we have other guys who are capable of catching the ball. But no one is near what Smelter is - lets be real. One of Smelter's best skills is his ability to get separation. Haven't seen that from any of the other receivers. I think Summers doesn't really get any separation at all from the times he has been in there. With everyone reminding me, Waller has caught some balls this year on the route tree outside of just jump balls. But he isn't as athletic as Smelter which feeds into getting separation. Smelter just always seems to be open. Waller gets balls in coverage and catches back-shoulder throws or jump balls.

Maybe if FSU and whoever our post season opponent(s) are sell out on the run MORE because Smelter is out, that will open up some space for our ABs to get some catches. The ABs don't seem to catch many balls in tighter coverage (see the UGA game drops by ABs), but they are able to make plays when they run out of play action and are wide open. Even with that, it doesn't solve our 3rd and long gap without Smelter. During the Clemson game, the commentators even called out that one big difference for us this year is our ability to convert third and long "at will" with the chemistry between Smelter and JT.

Anyone who thinks this loss isn't a huge hit to our passing game is delusional. He's our best since BeyBey.

That said, the way the OL is blocking and JT is making reads, I think our overall offense can still move the ball well enough to win games with less passing.

If nothing else, this will help us prepare for next year when so many skill position players will be leaving. Looking at the roster, we've definitely got some young'ns who can fill the spots. Hopefully JT will learn to set his feet better when he throws because accuracy is going to need to improve without Smelter. The one thing about this team (especially defense) is that they have been dedicated to actually fixing their deficiencies.

Back