Recent History lesson on football attrition...

Master B

Varsity Lurker
In the past 24 hours I've seen a lot of folks re-writing history on how many players left school under O'Leary. I went back to some of my old notes and depth charts and came up with what I believe is a pretty close list of players that have left our program in the last 3 years that still had eligibility left. I used to have notes going back as far as 5 years but I don't have a soft copy of it on my computer and my hard copies are boxed up somewhere right now. So the last 3 years will have to do, but I know the year before the last one I show was as bad or worse than our worst loses. Also, I want to be clear that I'm not trying to pre-spin any possible problems we may have coming up or make excuses for anyone, this is just for information sake to put to rest the talk of "we have never had these kinds of losses before" in reference to the rumored academic caualties. We have had these kinds of losses before as far as numbers go, but just not as many that were directed related to school issues... so I would consider this a major concern if true. Anyway, on with the research...

1. Joe Burns (RB) – Grades, NFL
2. Tim Brown (OL) – Early grad
3. John Bennett (OL) – Medical Hardship
4. Andy Hall (QB) – Transfer
5. E.J. Kuale (LB) – Grades
6. Scott Wolf (DE) – Medical Hardship
7. Rahshan Johnson – Transfer
8. Hobie Holiday (DE) – Transfer
9. Albert Poree (DB) – Quit

1. Brian Meagher (OL) – Early graduation
2. Guentor Kryson (DT) – Medical hardship
3. Matt Miller (LB) – Medical hardship
4. Cody Price (LB) – Medical hardship
5. Berwin Echols (DT) - Transferred, grades
6. Jermaine Crenshaw (QB) – Transferred
7. Winfred Brown (DB) - left school
8. Phillip Newman (K) - Suspended, left school
9. Roderick Middleton (WR) - left school
10. Brian Lumar (WR) - left school
11. Derrick Mincey - never enrolled

1. Dez White (WR) – NFL
2. Dustin Vaitekunas – Sissy
3. Dan Mitchell – Early Graduation
4. Matt Graviet – left school
5. Jessee Moody – Early Graduation
6. Jamey Hamilton – left school
7. Jason Harrison – left school
8. Kelvin Hughley – left school
9. Matt Uremovich – Medical hardship
10. Derrick Thomas – left school
11. Selwyn Scott – left school
12. Eric Lavette – left school
13. Ashley Henderson – left school
14. Mike Kitchen – Transferred
15. Brandon Sumner – Transferred

Now I might not have everyone exactly in the right year, but the point here is that we've had approximately 35 loses in our football program over the past 3 years for guys that still had eligibility left. Also, the reasons I put to the right of the names aren't all very specific. I put the reason as close as I could remember next to the names. I really don't know in some cases when a guy left school if it was academics related or otherwise. I hope this thread will help establish some truths when discussing this topic in the near future.

2. Dustin Vaitekunas ? Sissy
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Well put...
laugh.gif

12. Eric Lavette ? left school
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'd totally forgot about him. Anyone know where Eric ended up and if he got a chance to play there?

BTW, thanks for the list Master B and for all your continuous hard work.

Master, with all due respect I think you are attempting to spin here... (Does the B in stand for Begala as in Paul?) Over the 3 year period you list only a couple of the reasons given are for grades... This info is an attempt to compare apples to oranges... Quite frankly I don't see any relevance to this information 'cept as an attempt to loosen the ever tightening noose around Gailey's neck.. Master, don't bother going down with the ship for this guy.. Titanic was a wonderful movie.. But why live it?

Not that it really surprises me beebad but you must be seeing only what you wish to see on my post. This was for "just for information sake". People have said that we haven't lost these numbers of players in the past... I just proved that to be a wrong statement. I even said "not as many ... were directly related to school issues". That should clearly show that I understand that the attrition in the past does not reflect current issues we have with our program in regards to grades (what you were saying about apples to oranges -- i agree, this clearly shows I meant to show a difference). I even say, "I would consider this a major concern if true," so that SHOULD show an attentive reader that I too think it's a problem. You should really be more careful before making false claims against me when I have clearly layed out my intentions to a mostly perceptive crowd... which you don't seem to be a part of.

Thanks for the info Master B. BTW BeeBad, many of us yesterday were curious what the past history has been like and had asked Master B if he had that info. He has taken his time to put it together just to satisfy our curiosity. Stop trying to read a spin into it.

Thanks for the info MB. I guess the difference is we didn't have many players leave all at once.

The problem with this is that all of the current losses will be grades related. Most of the early departures you list are of the "somewhat out of our control" variety, and they will continue to happen.

I consider flunking out certainly controllable. When these two groups are added together, the result is disastrous.

toe meets leather - I don't see any analogy here, just a list of players who didn't finish their eligibility. Notice also that for most it just says "left school" so we don't know if it was academics or not. Master B isnt' drawing any conclusions, someone just wondered what retention was like under O'Leary.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
My bad Master B..

Think you should have included the other players who have left since Gailey took over... Would add more perspective.. Hobie Holladay & the DB whose name escapes me for the moment come to mind... Who else?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">if you'd remove your black colored glasses, the ones that work au contraire to the gold colored ones, you'll see that Master B has put up a list of athletes left since Gailey took over.

jeez .. i thought you had short sightedness .. but you have NO sightedness at all.

FOCUS!

Thanks MasterB, regardless of the reasons, that is over 11 players a year for attrition of some kind or the other.

As we all know, it does not make the immediate problem go away, but it does give more insight into the situation.

If half of the athletes can make up the work during the summer, the attrition for this year could possibly be no worse than previous years.

The fact that we have lost 35 in three years makes it imperative that we begin to screen the players better wanting to come to Tech. It could be those factors which have caused Gailey to expand his search further into national recruiting.

It might be interesting to research all who have failed out of school over the past five years and the States or regions they come from. Maybe the search has already been made and the present coaches know this data.

wink.gif

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
Thanks for the info MB. I guess the difference is we didn't have many players leave all at once.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are right...and I see a lot of transfers here who probably IMO realized once they got here they couldn't do the work and transfered. I know that's what happened to Eric Lavette because we are close to the Lavette family.

This should be hilarious to watch since Beebad
isn't qualified to sniff, much less carry, Master
B's jock strap.

Go ahead Beebad...run out in front of that bus...

pat.gif

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Master, with all due respect I think you are attempting to spin here... (Does the B in stand for Begala as in Paul?) Over the 3 year period you list only a couple of the reasons given are for grades... This info is an attempt to compare apples to oranges... Quite frankly I don't see any relevance to this information 'cept as an attempt to loosen the ever tightening noose around Gailey's neck.. Master, don't bother going down with the ship for this guy.. Titanic was a wonderful movie.. But why live it?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

I don't quite get the concern on why a guy left.HE LEFT.(and I can guarantee you it is NOT because he wasn't CHALLENGED enough academically.)So draw your own conclusions.
The bottom line is we've had a problem with depth and this is the reason.Too few mature experienced (SRs)players to compete very successfully.

quote by ylo
"it's so amusing to see hive flunkies gang up together to take on the bad guy."

That's funny, ylo.. You and your goon squad (the Chan apologists) Rodney Kinged me for a couple months over at The Rock... To no avail I may add, you landed nary a punch... As your boy Chan slowly slides into oblivion I see your ranks are thinning as the rats bail out from the sinking ship..

Btw, in the future I want you to address me as, "MasterBeeBad"...

CDK, good seeing you over here in the land of fresh air and green pastures...

I gotta go read the tutorial on how to use this board, its like boxing one-handed.. lol

i like sparring with you wannabeebad. you are my favorite tech "fan" to spar with and sacflo is my favorite mutt to kick around.

if i didn't land nary a punch .. why o why is ur face all red and ur eyes black? down with the red and black. LOL

you want me to call you what?? come here and kiss my assclamation mark!

CrackerJacket what the heck are you doing over here? Be careful or RR may find out and take away your secret decoder ring..

wink.gif

Back