Recruiting issues....

Driver8

Varsity Lurker
This pretty well sums up the state of the program. Our two early committments were also being offered by the likes of Purdue, Indiana and Iowa State(?). Folks,...that flat out will not get it done. Were dangeroulsy close to sliding all the way back to the early 80's if we don't go out and recruit the type of football players like we did before CG arrived. We held our own in-state, and did well in Florida and the South Carolina and went selectively out of the South. The difference is those kids were also being recruited by the likes of Auburn, FSU, ugag, Florida, Clemson, South Carolina, etc. The other difference is we played on New Year's Day and beat Georgia. It's so disappointing to look at our in-state recruiting in 2003,......were not even on the radar screen for the top 20-25 kids in-state. We need more kids like Grant and Scott and please let us quit seeing the likes of Wake Forest, Duke,Vandy, Marshall, Texas Tech, Baylor, etc on the lists of the players we are targeting (and signing). I'll say it again, we've got to get blue-chip players on campus, give them extraordinary support and then bust our opponents in the mouth on Saturday afternoons. We cannot field a competitive team of engineering majors.

51-7 MUST NEVER HAPPEN AGAIN. All of the "Ma Tech Degree BS" don't heal those wounds. This is the South,....winning on Saturday IS important.

GATA JACKETS!!!!

Why don't you wait and see who else shows interest
in these kids once the highschool football season
kicks in.

Its way to early to be worrying about this.

Personally...I'll take as many big OL and beefy LB
prospects as we can sign...

big linemen are a dime a dozen. A big lineman with good feet is a diamond in the rough.

So Driver8, I take it from your post that you don't think we should have offered these kids? Fill me in on your credentials in evaluating talent please. Also let me know how many hours of film you've watched and give me a breakdown of the strenghts and weaknesses of these 2 kids.

If you can't, then as far as I'm concerned, shut up. If, when our recruiting is over we have signed 25 kids who only wanted to go to Tech or Duke, then you have something to say. To go off on 2 early commitments is silly. What will you say if Penn State decides in a month that they like the LB? Will your opinion change? No team in the country offers 'ships based on what other teams thing about kids. Sometimes opinions coincide sometimes they don't. When a schools gets an early commitment, it may preclude others who were interested from offering scholarships they may have been considering or planning.

Driver8, the young man that committed to us over Purdue was also getting serious looks from Pitt, Penn St, Maryland and Mich St. Good enough for you?

I'm not taking a side here but let me explain something. GTechsta, you really have no clue on this LB getting serious looks from Pitt, Maryland, etc. (Unless you have some inside info with those staffs). When the internet tells us things like this it could mean that the boy has received a couple of letters from these schools or that they came by school during spring practice just like they do for the other 300 schools in that state. I'm not saying that your comment was wrong because he very well may be getting consideration from these schools (I hope so) but truth be known we don't really know. So ease up on Driver8. CrackerJacket has the right approach!

I take it, then, that Driver8 doesn't know what he's talking about either? Is that part of your point, Patriot? Then why not scold him for dissing athletes who want to come to Tech, if you have to scold somebody?

Our most recent recruiting class was ranked in the bottom half of the conference. The transition year before that was also ranked very low in the conference. You can't, as a coach, state that your goal is to win the ACC and beat UGA if your recruiting classes are weak.
BOO

Patriot, how do you know GTechsta has no information about others recruiting the two young men. You made a flat statement.

Are you saying, you and Driver8 are the only ones who have inside sources?

I made the statement the other day that I was glad to have some Tech fans or graduates coaching high school football.

It seems ever since then, you have been dissing Gailey and his coaching staff. That is not in line with promoting Tech to your football players.

As Clint Eastwood said in the movie HeartBreak Ridge, "sir, with all due respects, you are beginning to bore the hell out of me".

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

Ive talked to our coaches and they are very positive about these kids and very glad to have them on board.

Patriot, I understand, and I do appreciate having GT biased coaches in the high school ranks. Like I said, I wish we had more out there.

I am also not as bad as I sound sometimes. I am a self appointed "Hall Monitor", and often make a comment that makes no sense at all.

I often try to be funny, mostly with poor results. I thought the Clint Eastwood remark was funny and appropriate if you had been dissing Gailey.

I will take your word for it, that you were not dissing him.

Father Time

wink.gif

Patriot, no offense, but don't tell me what i have or don't have a clue about. You don't know me nor my connections to the above mentioned recruit, recruiting services or involved programs.

GTechsta-
well that being said .......Do you have an inside with this kid or the staffs at Penn State or Maryland? If you do please share your insight.

Patriot, I look forward to your commentary throu out the coming recruiting season along with MasterB and Damarious!

Patriot - same here. I think you know what it takes and being where you are really puts a very much needed perpective into Tech's recruiting. Look forward to your followups!

Well I thank ya'll for the comments but I don't think that I need to be too involved. I've been reading on here for months but was kind of worried about posting because my perspective is a little different than the average fan (not pro or anti Chan) I just hear things that probably 60% of the fanbase does not (Sometimes good, Sometimes not so good!!). That does not make me or my opinion better than anyone else its just my job. Example: I made my first post in reference to Kenny Scott and I said that it was a "Done deal" a week or so before signing day (Great news) That was just some inside scoop that I came across. In situations just like that I like to share what I know. However, we are all Tech fans and we all want this program to be successful, therefore if asked I will tell what I can but I don't need to cause any conflict.
GO JACKETS!!

I hope some people will give this recruiting season a chance. We are at the top of the list of several fully-qualified young men (all but one that comes to mind are qualified by Tech standards as well) - this means they will be making an official visit. We had an amazing closing percentage on our official visits last year.

I've heard good things about both early commits and outstanding things about one in particular. Keep in mind that it is only June and we did not get our first commit last year until July. Many schools have not given out anywhere near half of the offers they will give out before it's all said and done.

It will probably take a few years before CG is given the trust that he will need to run this program succuessfully - his way. Maybe then we can do something as SIMPLE as give him credit for landing a prospect that already had 3 offers in June with strong interest from 4 other schools, including Michigan State and Penn State. I can't believe Chan has to deal with this kind of thing from his team's own fan base.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
So Driver8, I take it from your post that you don't think we should have offered these kids? Fill me in on your credentials in evaluating talent please. Also let me know how many hours of film you've watched and give me a breakdown of the strenghts and weaknesses of these 2 kids.

If you can't, then as far as I'm concerned, shut up. If, when our recruiting is over we have signed 25 kids who only wanted to go to Tech or Duke, then you have something to say. To go off on 2 early commitments is silly. What will you say if Penn State decides in a month that they like the LB? Will your opinion change? No team in the country offers 'ships based on what other teams thing about kids. Sometimes opinions coincide sometimes they don't. When a schools gets an early commitment, it may preclude others who were interested from offering scholarships they may have been considering or planning.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket,....Tech Football means more to me than you could ever understand. But that's not the point. No, I haven't watched any film on our committments. But as someone pointed out, our recruiting over the past two years has ranked near the bottom of the conference. Take that for what it's worth. Let me add that if the likes of Auburn, ugag, FSU, Florida, etc have watched film on these two young men,....they didn't see fit to "get on their bandwagon". That's my concern. Also...what has GC done to make you think he can come up with 20-25 diamonds in the rough? Keith Brooking, God love him,...was a needle in the hay-stack. There is no denying that our recruiting has suffered enourmously under the new regime. Our rivals aren't Duke, Wake Forest, Vandy and the like,....well, they certainly weren't under Coach O'Leary. It just pains me to no end to see us going head to head with these schools on the recruiting trails, rather than the Southern powers,...which we faced when we had a "winning program".

I'm going to ignore your shut up comment, as I do not want to make this personal,...other than to extend to you an invitation, if you attend the games, to come by the library lot during tailgate festivities, for a cold-beverage on us.

GATA JACKETS!

Ashoisee, I'll repond to you first because that really bothers me. I am not dissing Gailey or his staff. In fact I have close relations with a couple of our current coaches. If I came across a dissing anyone on our staff then I am truly sorry (One of these guys reads this board). As for bellyseries.. I was not trying to scold anyone I was just trying to give a little knowledge on the recruiting process. 9 out of 10 times Rivals/Borderwars and other Recruiting services are going very optimistic about the school that they are covering. That is how they make money. We could see John Doe at 5 feet 2 inches weighing 110 lbs and its "GT snags another commit!!" Am I saying that this is always the case...no. Honestly I'm glad that we are getting early commits, I even think that we'll see other programs offering these two, will it be Nebraska and Penn St, I don't know. And let me leave you with this last thought...Every kid that we sign that is not on other programs wish lists is not a diamond in the rough. If you think that these are just the kids that fit best into our system then you are sadly mistaken.
Example: If Chan had a choice, he could either sign E. Simms or P. Wheeler to play LB, I know which one he would choose. (Nothing against Wheeler..he'll be solid) Does that make any sense. I still get the feeling that Chan is still getting acustomed to GT. That meaning what kids we can get to come here academically and athletically.

Back