Recruiting update summ...lots of blue chip talent

hiveredtech

Dodd-Like
I know that last year we surprised everyone with a load of blue chip talent like we had not seen before...particularly around the defensive front.

Well...the trend is continuing as Gailey continues to emphasize that big men that can run should be a priority. I simply cannot believe the number of big names putting us near or at the top of thei list. We are in the luxurious...sometimes maddening...position of having to hold off some second tier players we would normally take. Lets remember that Travis Bell will be put on scholly this February as well. We have 14 scolly seniors plus 6 additional openings. That would leave 19 open after Bell...with 9 committed (that we know of). Of course, you can expect an additional scholly or two to pop up from medical reasons, transfers, grades, early graduates, etc.

Everyone knows the nine we already have committed...which appear to be solid. The heavily recruited names are Todd Walker, Carlos Thomas, Taalib Tucker (continues to receive outside pressure). Tony Clark is having a huge year and his early commitment has helped keep others away. Marvin Sapp continues to ward off suitors.

Coming in December on visits are blue chippers like Ayanga Okpokowuruk (DE/TE), Ray Herring (S), Matt Lewis (DE/FB), Jerrell Mabry (DT/FB), and Maurice Wells (TB). These guys are BIG-TIME. All-Region types like Chis Clinton (LB/DE...also offered by MD and GA) are coming in as well.

Blue chip names that said they are visiting, but have not yet set dates include Kalvin Bailey (DE/FB/LB), Michael Hall (DE/TE/DT), Vladimir Richard (DT), and Gerrod Sinclair (S)...more BIG-TIME. All-Region kids that are said to be coming include Sean Lee (LB), Eric Sledge (S/WR), Quinton Wesley (DE).

Regarding OL's...the staff has supposedly identified a few they want but are keeping everyone guessing at this point. They continue to try and encourage Michael Harness (AUB commit) to visit and it appears he will...academics has been the huge sell here. Additionally, Chris Scott still receives contact but appears SEC bound. Apparentely we are also trying to stay in on Tyler Compton and Garrett Reynolds. As everyone is now aware, AJ Smith is up to 6-7, 255 and has moved to OT...and we will probably see one more DL go over...and it will not be Anyaibe...he is a monster...and quick.

With Pat Carter moving to WR....Carlos Thomas solidly committed....and great youngsters like Clark, J. Johnson, and C.Johnson in house I would not be surprised to see no other WR's coming in. We are also done at CB with Word-Daniels and Clark....with youngsters like Lewis and Scott looking strong. TE looks good with Riles coming in (Soph-R next year) and other big kids giving us strong looks that could end up anywhere if needed.

One thing for sure....any kids that commit will be joining a program that is building a serious contender from a talent standpoint...a program that will remain clean and respectable while carrying a strong academic reputation...led by coaches with NFL connections...and will go to a bowl every year.

As everyone knows...getting the talent there is 2/3 of the battle...and we are building more talent each year. Lets hope that these kids all decide to become Yellow Jackets!

[ QUOTE ]
One thing for sure....any kids that commit will be joining a program that is building a serious contender from a talent standpoint...a program that will remain clean and respectable while carrying a strong academic reputation...led by coaches with NFL connections...and will go to a bowl every year.

As everyone knows...getting the talent there is 2/3 of the battle...and we are building more talent each year. Lets hope that these kids all decide to become Yellow Jackets!

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the great update.

Because of what is happening, especially on the DL, I am confident that great things are in store.

Thanks for the post

and updates hiveredtech. It was great to see the type of team that Gailey is building. No better place was along the DL. Anoai, Wrotto, Richard, Oliver all showed out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rockon.gif

Re: Recruiting update summ...lots of blue chip tal

thanks for the summary - this is all good news - championships are won in Febuary

I appreciate the post, good information. I was a little concerned about lack of depth at OL and WR next year but your post makes me feel better about these positions.
I DO like the progress we are making under CG. And he seems to be learning how to get the most out of our guys.

I agree we are getting there. The ONLY thing we are missing right now is a QB that does not make many mistakes.

That is the main thing holding many college teams right now...lack of solid QB play.

I always thought Blue Chip talent was four and five star players?

All depends on where you are looking I suppose. Just like Calvin Johnson, Daryl Richards, and Darrell Robertson...we are battling the FSU's, Miami's, Notre Dames, UGA's, Auburn's, etc. for all of these kids.

Basically...when a kid can go anywhere he wants....he is a blue chip. The kids that I listed (with exception of the All-Region's I mentioned) can go almost anywhere they want. These are all impact players.

Back