Ref Calls...give us ur oldest memory of a bad call and the gutsiest call where they..

Hedgeplague

Varsity Lurker
...Got it right.

for me, a bad call that isn't all that old but was just painful was when Ray Goff talked the refs into an offsides penalty on Tech, after we recovered an onsides kick late in the fourth quarter in one of BL's ill fated trips to Athens(1994?). I can still see BL agonizing over the tape replay on his weekly show verifying the homer call that sealed the game for UGA.

Gutsiest Call. The 1990 UVA game. Virginia trying to score late. Near the goal line. Virginia scores on from the one. A late flag comes out and Virginia is called for 12 men on the field and is moved out to the 16 and had to settle for a field goal, I believe to tie the game at 38. Tech comes right back and gets within field goal range in less than a minute. Tech 41, Virginia 38. Remarkably, this call happened in Charlottesville, with the Hoos ranked #1.

The worst call I have ever seen was in the Tech/Florida State game when Joe Hamilton was a junior. Tech is down by less than a touchdown (5 points I think) and is driving. The ball is on the FSU side of the field...somewhere around the 35 and it's 4th down with 3 yards to go for the first down. Joe Hamilton throws the ball across the middle to the tight end who is literally pulled down to the ground and the ball hits the FSU defender in the back. NO CALL by the ref who is standing 2 yards away and watching the entire thing. And the worst thing about it is that it was at Tech, so he couldn't even claim that he was afraid of the crowd.

Heck, I've seen less penetration on rape cases than occurred on that play, but NO CALL. Had the ref thrown the flag, Tech moves inside the 20 with a first down and still about a minute left to go in the game.

worst call ever in the history of sports was when the refs bypassed the rules of the game and gave colorado 5 downs at Mizzou. As far as GT, the two worst that stand out are vs ugag in 67 when the markers broke and DL Claborn used a paper clip to repair the chain. GT missed a first down, that would have lead to the game winning TD, by, you guessed it, less than the length of that paper clip. Second that comes to mind is a pass interference call against us vs. UwiNe&Cheese in the end zone. We were kicking the snot out of #2 ranked tarholes.

Originally posted by texstinger:
worst call ever in the history of sports was when the refs bypassed the rules of the game and gave colorado 5 downs at Mizzou. As far as GT, the two worst that stand out are vs ugag in 67 when the markers broke and DL Claborn used a paper clip to repair the chain. GT missed a first down, that would have lead to the game winning TD, by, you guessed it, less than the length of that paper clip. Second that comes to mind is a pass interference call against us vs. UwiNe&Cheese in the end zone. We were kicking the snot out of #2 ranked tarholes.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Arggggh!!!!!!!!! Just when I thought I had gotten over the pain of that 5th down call, someone has to gouge that knife in my gut again.
mad.gif

I will follow up that call with the "clipping" call against Rocket Ishmail that nullified his kickoff return for a Touchdown. It wasn't clipping, and it would have given us an outright MNC in spite of the 5th down call.

We were at a bar in Orlando after the Citrus Bowl with a ton of GT fans watching that ND - Colorado game. When Ishmail broke free, the place erupted and went nuts. After we realized they had called it back, we just went into a deathly silence.

1997 - GT/GA - the blatant interference call against GT with UGAG driving - A NO CALL and an SEC ref. A killer loss for a GT team that outplayed Donnan #9 ranked dawgs!

2000 - GT/FSU - last drive of the game GT had the ball - another interference call at the FSU 30 yd line - a no call from the fans in the stands. Watched the game on tape - everyone in the booth said terrible call for GT.

1999 Great call by a coach - GT/UGAG - OT, kicking field goal on 3rd down at the south endzone, blocked by UGAG, recovered by GT for another try! We win - nice call coach!

That "clipping" call...elation to possibly the worst feeling I can remember ever experiencing sports-wise and probably a top-ten worst feelings life experience-wise.

The pass interference call vs ugag (help me out with the year, I don't have my media guide with me--was it '97?) is one of the worst.

Can't remember too far back on the penalties right now but the pass interference call in the game against UGAg was one of those "we got robbed" moments. Conversely, the call in conjunction with 'Jasper Thanks' took guts.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
1997 - GT/GA - the blatant interference call against GT with UGAG driving - A NO CALL and an SEC ref. A killer loss for a GT team that outplayed Donnan #9 ranked dawgs!

2000 - GT/FSU - last drive of the game GT had the ball - another interference call at the FSU 30 yd line - a no call from the fans in the stands. Watched the game on tape - everyone in the booth said terrible call for GT.

1999 Great call by a coach - GT/UGAG - OT, kicking field goal on 3rd down at the south endzone, blocked by UGAG, recovered by GT for another try! We win - nice call coach!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Finally something we agree on, MTA, a great call... by OC Friedgen!!!

Actually the oldest worst call was pass interference against Gary Faulkner against UGAg in the '71? Thanksgiving night game that kept their drive alive and allowed them to win 27-24...

Best call? Jasper Thanks fumble. Hey, where is Jasper now, anybody know? Bet that the Dawgnation didn't coddle him after his career.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
[QB]1997 - GT/GA - the blatant interference call against GT with UGAG driving - A NO CALL and an SEC ref. A killer loss for a GT team that outplayed Donnan #9 ranked dawgs!
QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That one hurts the worst for me. The next meeting we had a work a UGetanA fan and fellow co-worker came in a threw a yellow handkerchief at me and yelled "There's the flag!". Luckily, I stayed composed and didn't beat the snot out of him.

1971...YOUR THE WINNER RWISE. ITS AMAZING HOW ALL THE PETTY BAD STUFF JUST FADES AWAY AFTER AWHILE

Bleed -gold-white you have your games confused. Joe Hamilton got hurt in the game at home his junior year and was not in the game in the fourth quarter. A game that was close when Joe got hurt finished 7-34 FSU. I think we were down either 7-10 or 7-13 and near the 50 yard line when Joe got hurt. Godsey came in and really looked awed by the speed of the game.

This is Not my oldest memory of a bad call, but it certainly sticks out the MOST. I was a sophmore at GT.

FSU 1992 first year for FSU in the ACC. The entire 4th quarter was a bad call. Charlie Ward still gives me nightmares to this day.

But what really pissed me off was that damn onside kick that was "recovered" by FSU, when it was clear it was Tech's ball. There were several more... that whole Quarter was the worst experience I've ever had at Bobby Dodd Stadium. My date sucked too and I didn't get laid either.

Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
[QB]1997 - GT/GA - the blatant interference call against GT with UGAG driving - A NO CALL and an SEC ref. A killer loss for a GT team that outplayed Donnan #9 ranked dawgs!
QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That one hurts the worst for me. The next meeting we had a work a UGetanA fan and fellow co-worker came in a threw a yellow handkerchief at me and yelled "There's the flag!". Luckily, I stayed composed and didn't beat the snot out of him.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're a better man than me. I'd still be in jail. Must've been a buddy? Have to laugh at some of those dogs antics though.

Originally posted by gnats:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by JJacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That one hurts the worst for me. The next meeting we had a work a UGetanA fan and fellow co-worker came in a threw a yellow handkerchief at me and yelled "There's the flag!". Luckily, I stayed composed and didn't beat the snot out of him.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're a better man than me. I'd still be in jail. Must've been a buddy? Have to laugh at some of those dogs antics though.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pretty good friend for a coworker. As a Tech fan, I'm used to that kind of stuff. Of course dropping a wadded up sheet of paper and saying "fumble! and Tech has the ball" a few years later made payback so sweet. Last year I was really slammed for the fiasco in podunk, but trust me, the mutts will get theirs and payback will be mine. And what makes that payback so sweet is that there are so many of them and so few of me.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:
This is Not my oldest memory of a bad call, but it certainly sticks out the MOST. I was a sophmore at GT.

FSU 1992 first year for FSU in the ACC. The entire 4th quarter was a bad call. Charlie Ward still gives me nightmares to this day.

But what really pissed me off was that damn onside kick that was "recovered" by FSU, when it was clear it was Tech's ball. There were several more... that whole Quarter was the worst experience I've ever had at Bobby Dodd Stadium. My date sucked too and I didn't get laid either.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Agree BOR. That onside kick was the worst. That game sealed Bill Lewis' fate. He never recovered.

Originally posted by BarrelORum:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Did she get laid?

The first time I cried after a football game was 1978 in Athens after Donnie Patterson broke coverage and rushed B. Belue. Tech lost the game, and it broke my heart.

Next to that was ugag, of course in 1997. The late score by Tech, the ensuing KO out of bounds, and the horseshit interference call before the touchdown pass to Phillips reminded me how much I hated the bastards.

After that game, I stayed up all night burning things in my back yard that I wish I had today.

Thank God, we won the next three!

Originally posted by LLCoolJacket:
The first time I cried after a football game was 1978 in Athens after Donnie Patterson broke coverage and rushed B. Belue. Tech lost the game, and it broke my heart.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Don't forget that the SEC refs that day gave UGAg 2 tries to make the 2 point conversion that won the game. We stacked McClendon in the middle on the first try and they called offsides, invisible on the replay. Make no mistake that the refs have cost us at least 5 UGAg games since 1960.

SEC refs used to work all Tech home games back then and I used to talk to them on the field, they had no love for the Jackets...

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
Actually the oldest worst call was pass interference against Gary Faulkner against UGAg in the '71? Thanksgiving night game that kept their drive alive and allowed them to win 27-24...

Best call? Jasper Thanks fumble. Hey, where is Jasper now, anybody know? Bet that the Dawgnation didn't coddle him after his career.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

Back