RefrigeratorMover!

ahsoisee

Dodd-Like
Since I, and some other posters tend to watch the quarterback, runners, and receivers on most plays, it sure would be interesting if you would give some kind of discreet review on the board after each game of the offensive line play.

I know Maryland has a good defense, and part of the problem with our offense was their defense. I also know, we had some good key drives that took time off the clock and helped us in the game.

However, personally, I would like reading a review of the offensive line each week from someone that watches that area of the game.

You could start with the Maryland game and give us a review. I am not probing for negative information, just information from your perspective.

Thanks

Father Time

From football experience of being an offensive lineman, it is hard to pick up blitzes and stunts. Fans expect the holes to be wide open and the QB to have 15 seconds to throw the ball, but from what I have seen since the Clemson game, the line has done a much better job of protecting Reggie and opening up holes. That is part of the reason for a 4 game winning streak.

Originally posted by gtfan1147:
From football experience of being an offensive lineman, it is hard to pick up blitzes and stunts. Fans expect the holes to be wide open and the QB to have 15 seconds to throw the ball, but from what I have seen since the Clemson game, the line has done a much better job of protecting Reggie and opening up holes. That is part of the reason for a 4 game winning streak.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I do not disagree about some improvement...but if you look at replays of the Maryland game...you will see some of our O-Lineman getting beat one on one consistently. Back on the heels too much on pass blocking...and too tall/no leverage on run blocking.

they were blitzing reggie more than anyone has all year. It seems to me we should have been able hit some screens for some big gainers.

The offense really struggled thursday and you can bet every other team is going to try to replicate what maryland did (however there D's are not as good except for Ugag).

On that note, UGag's defense took a MAJOR hit on Saturday as they lost Decory Bryant. He was 5-11, 190....he's replaced by Jennings, who is 5-8, 175. He doesn't have the size, speed, or leaping ability of Bryant. If UGag blitzes us as much as Maryland did, then I think we'll throw to whomever Jennings is covering. Especially, if we match up a player like Xavier MacGuire on him.

I think part of the offensive problem on Thursday was situational. We were in a defensive game, and we did what we had to do to win. We didn't do things to allow us to lose. For example, we were in scoring position 3 times and didn't get points. Two of those were at the end of the game when we were playing field position. There is no doubt in my mind that we could have gotten a FG and TD if we needed it. The other was in the first half and ended on Reggie's interception.

The rest of the parts are Maryland's defense, lack of execution, and Jonathan Smith was playing hurt.

Originally posted by kirbee:
I think part of the offensive problem on Thursday was situational. We were in a defensive game, and we did what we had to do to win. We didn't do things to allow us to lose. For example, we were in scoring position 3 times and didn't get points. Two of those were at the end of the game when we were playing field position. There is no doubt in my mind that we could have gotten a FG and TD if we needed it. The other was in the first half and ended on Reggie's interception.

The rest of the parts are Maryland's defense, lack of execution, and Jonathan Smith was playing hurt.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I do not disagree that the offense was taking care of the ball more because our defense was so dominating...that is smart football.

But even within those plays...when you look at the replays...you see our OL getting outmanned one-on-one and confused on various blitzes. They just need to get mean.

I personally do not think the O-line is playing up to it's capability. I have said before I think you take on the personality of your coach and that's what I am seeing. I have kept quiet on opinions because I know how hard it is to play that position. However, I will say that these kids do game plan all week and should know what's ahead of them on game day.

1. Feel like they are playing soft with no umph off the ball with the running game.
2. Feel like they are catching the defenders when it comes to pass protection therefore allowing penatration and making it hard for Reggie to see his lanes.
3. Feel like they are still out of shape and getting tired in 4th quarter ( this one pisses me off more than any other thing. )
4. Feel like there is a player or two that are playing not to get hurt (which means one of two things will happen, they will get hurt or the man they are defending will hurt our qb or rb) that really pisses me off too.

The good thing about these problems is they are all fixable. Someone needs to step up and take a leadership role and get an attitude. These next four games could possibly be the signature they put on this season and I hope they understand that.

Coach Gailey and staff have done a tremendous job getting these kids to believe in the system and each other. I am eating crow because I picked us to only win 5 but now am looking at 9 as a goal. Some games aren't going to be pretty and I will take a 7-3 game anytime as long as I see improvement on the field in whatever form it may come in.

Big John:

Have you ever contemplated getting into coaching? I think you could get this group fired up and playing to their potential. Is it possible for you to ask Coach Gailey to speak with the group and provide a motivational talk?

I know we have to be concerned about protocal but this group more than any other has the balance of our season in their hands.

If they love Tech like you do, I know they will rise to the occassion. A little push from a well respected alum could not hurt.

Go Jackets!

JD and all the rest, I appreciate the comments. I get too carried away with the game to watch the details of the offensive line play. I do realize others who have played the positions tend to watch those actions in more detail.

Thanks to all the linemen who have played for Tech. I realize some of our linemen have gotten their dues by going to the pros and receiving other rewards, and I realize a lot of the glory that goes to a QB and running backs is attributable to the linemen.

However, a lineman has to really be dedicated to do his job, because he does not get the glory he deserves in most games.

For this reason, I do like to read information regarding our offensive linemen from those who have played the position.

JD, if you don't mind giving a synopsis after each game, I would love to have it pointed out to us on the board those linemen who you think are giving it their all and who looks good in each game.

Not only would that help me to appreciate them, it might make the others want to play harder.

Thanks,

Father Time

r-mover,

Thanks for your comments.

It appears to many of us that our o-line coaching has taken a significant dropoff from Marrone and McWhorter to the current coach.

Your frank comments on this would be appreciated but if you feel you shouldn't comment on current coaching that is understandable.

I never will forget sitting in the North endzone while you pushed the refrigerator around all day against klimpsum.

John, thanks for the comments. The OL is the area that I've been most disappointed in with this team. Overall the kids are playing hard, playing smart and do seem to believe in their coaches and each other. But the OL just isn't getting the job done the way we expected. If we can develop that attitude in the running game it could make all the difference in how the season ends.

I was listening to comments recently about another team, can't remember which one right now. But the comment was about how physical and violent they were in their running game. The point being that you normally think of defenses having that attitude, but that this team (may have been KC?) attacks the defense with their running game. That's what I was expecting from the line we have.

Although Md was a good Def team the Offensive line again fell back to a mediocre performance.The points on the scoreboard tell the story as well as the yds gained.If the Def hadn't played dynamite and got turnovers we would have lost because the punting and Off was weak.
I shudder to think how a less mobile QB(see Suggs) might fare behind this line at times.To be fair the backs blocking also are a big factor(on the our TD PJs man runs through him and crushes Reggie).
Except for the Wake last drive,the OL has not dominated at all like we had hoped.

Originally posted by beeware:
r-mover,

Thanks for your comments.

It appears to many of us that our o-line coaching has taken a significant dropoff from Marrone and McWhorter to the current coach.

Your frank comments on this would be appreciated but if you feel you shouldn't comment on current coaching that is understandable.

I never will forget sitting in the North endzone while you pushed the refrigerator around all day against klimpsum.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">That is GREAT PRAISE of CG for him to be on a 4 game winning streak with the line underperforming. It is GREAT that even Beeware is starting to see the light and is getting on the bandwagon.

When the line comes around we will be FORCE on offense. Just think Beeware all those stats are with the line underperforming, but yet CG is FINDING a way to win.

See even Beeware is coming around! SLIDE OVER, BEEWARE IS JUMPING ON THE CG BANDWAGON!!!

laugh.gif

Originally posted by law_bee:
When the line comes around we will be FORCE on offense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">law,

We have played 8 games....when exactly can we expect improvement in the line?

Why is Chan tolerating it?

Why has our offensive production dropped like a rock since Chan has taken it over?

Inquiring minds want to know.
shocked.gif

BW - ' Why is Chan tolerating it? '

I am curious to know what you would expect CG to do? Fire the line coach mid-season? Blast the OL players in public?

I am certain CG must consult with someone as knowledgeable as yourself before any move or decision is made. So I would assume that if beeware sez Chan is 'tolerating' it, that must be the case!

Hey BW, why are you tolerating it?!?! Why don't you get something done about it? why don't you demand some respect 20ozBulldog style, and get something done!

Mr Mover, sir, a question if I may......

I appreciate your insight here on the o-line and it's good to hear from someone that actually knows what they are talking about.

In my view (and I probably don't know what I'm talkng about) along with the rest of the offense, the o-line had to learn a new offensive scheme and with that different blocking schemes since O'Brian left. I believe I've seen improvement on the o-line as they become more familiar with the new schemes.

Question: In your opinion, has the offensive line's performance improved as a group since earlier in the season? Am I off base in seeing a learning curve with a different offensive coordinator?

Thanks!

Thanks, Big John!

You know, it's interesting to me the flip flop of the current situation from the O'Leary times.
Then, we had #1 offenses no one could stop and yet our defense couldn't stop anyone. Everyone remember the UVA game in Charlottesville a few years ago when both teams traded off multiple scores in the 4th quarter?
Now, our defense has reached unbelievable heights with Thursday night's performance. What a job by the defensive players/coaches this year!
Yet, our offense at times can't do a thing and the offensive line carries much of the responsibility for the lack of production. With one or two exceptions (i.e. Reilly), players appear to have really underperformed. All season long, I've noticed one of our higher touted lineman who gets his butt kicked throughout a game.
The team has a great deal of opportunity in the last 4 games if the o-line steps up with the rest of the team. Here's hoping the players come through.

geeteelee, I could be way off base but I don't think it's the play calls or offensive schemes. Even if you hit the wrong guy I was always taught to hit him hard. I just don't see our line doing much hitting. It's more a push most of the time. Maybe I'm all wrong and big John can straighten me out, but I want to see some fire from those guys.

Originally posted by beeware:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by law_bee:
When the line comes around we will be FORCE on offense.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">law,

We have played 8 games....when exactly can we expect improvement in the line?

Why is Chan tolerating it?

Why has our offensive production dropped like a rock since Chan has taken it over?

Inquiring minds want to know.
shocked.gif
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Some people always see a half empty glass. I'm happy so far this year. A rookie QB with the shallowest team we've had in years and we're still winning. The future looks bright!

Back