Reggie Ball...

JoltinJacket

► Ģŏ ʝąҁʞεɫʂ ◄
...is flat out the real deal. Reggie did everything possible to help us win the game. The only pick was on some miscommunication, but hey, that happens to the best QBs. He took a simple package and ran with it. If not for some correctible mistakes and turnovers, we score at least 22 points and win the game (three times inside their 25 without getting points. Get three FG's and we win). Overall, I was impressed with the effort. Anytime your defense spends 35-40 minutes on the field, they're gonna wear down. With our depth problems, that made it even worse. I think the pass rush was great and tackling was solid except for those two 3rd quarter drives.

Even with the loss, I say hats off to you Reggie Ball. He didn't look rattled for one second out there. We have a stud at quarterback folks, we just need to find some missing pieces.

Reggie looked good. Quick, elusive. Poised for a first game on national television fresh from high school. Good showing, Reg!

We and I include myself can not tell if Reggie is the 2nd coming of Little Joe. But at this time in his career he's ahead of Joe. As a 18 year old he is very impressive and Tech indeed does have a QB.

I told you guys this in a practice report almost a month ago... he is going to be a good one for Tech.. but has to take his lumps along the way..

Maybe now Gailey's decision concerning Bilbo seems a little more valid.. there was a distinct difference between Ball and Suggs during practice, and a distinct difference between Suggs and Bilbo..

Not to diminish Ball, but everyone should go a little slower on annointing Ball as the second coming of Joe H.

First, most of what Ball did was low risk. The passes he threw were either quick in the flat or 10-15 types to one receiver - Smith. These involve minimal reads which will be necessary.

Second, Joe Hamilton proved his height was no problem - I don't remember Joe's passes getting batted down. Ball did.

Thirdly, he missed two obvious TD passes with minimal pressure and receivers wide open. To get in the league with Sean Jones, Godsey and Hamilton he has to hit these.

He did some ok things. But that might have been one of the three weakest teams we play this year.

I hope he improves and I am not being critical, but I would throw some caution to those thinking that Ball is going to somehow be the difference in our program in terms of wins an losses. If we don't run the ball better, he is going to be put in a spot even a sr. qb couldnt get of, and that is defenses knowing you are going to throw and teeing off.

Ball was not that impressive...sorry folks. BYU is not a solid team first of all. Ball didn't throw for ONE TD. He had several interceptions. He was the reason why we didn't score when practically on the one yard line and due to his failure to snap the ball, we are penalized back further. He overthrough several receivers...connected with some good throws, too.

Yet, we are here annointing him as the soon to be "little Joe"??? Give me a break. BYU practically gave us 10 of our 13 points with an interception deep into their territory and a blocked punt. The refs kept this game from being a BYU blowout.

The game would have been a different outcome with Suggs. Maybe that is the hindsight is 20/20 rule, but Ball, despite some good passes, was not all of that...by a long shot. Does he have potential to be...yes. However, we'll be on a long losing streak by then, I fear.

BYU??? If we can't win that one, we're in deep poo poo.

GeeTee,

You call one interception "several"? Had Suggs been in, this number could have been tripled. Ball was cool and collected. Ball has the potential to be great, and he's well on his way right now.

One interception was called back, so its not listed as an official "interception" but was thrown into the hands of the wrong guy nonetheless....

Ball did a fine job last night. He is poised. He didn't make many stupid mistakes. But I'm not calling him the next #14 yet....

This team has to have some play makers and some more creativity on offense if it wants to win a single game this season. 3 handoffs to PJ up the middle then punt won't get it done......

1) Nobody's calling him the next Joe Hamilton right now

2) Reggie looks a little better than Joe at this point in his Freshman year. TIME WILL TELL

3) Reggie has less support around him than Joe (makes a BIG difference)

4) Not good when your true freshman QB is your 2nd best offensive skill player

5) Yes BYU isn't the greatest team but put the performance in context. A true freshman on the road in his first game.

6) He moved the ball almost every time.

7) I was impressed and think he will hit those open recievers for the TD next time. What makes me think this is he knows it was his mistake (see his quote in the AJC).

8) He needs more support from the rest of the offense. If they don't put the ball on the ground who knows? You all might be singing his praises right now.

I think young Reggie Ball played an exceptional game last night for a kid just 3 months out of HS. In another post I stated my disappointments about what I saw last night but Reggie Ball was not one of them. In comparing Ball with Joe or Shawn we must keep in mind that both of them played as RS Freshmen and they both struggled BIG TIME before they developed into the great QB's they became. I don't think I've seen any QB struggle anymore than Hamilton did in the Navy game on Grant Field. Yes we lost as little Joe threw an interception directly to a Navy DB after we drove inside the Navy twenty yard line with what would have been the winning points. Reggie will without a doubt have some growing pains but he was not the reason we lost last night. One aspect of our game that I think we did improve on was the ST with the exception of the punting.

I think young Reggie Ball played an exceptional game last night for a kid just 3 months out of HS. In another post I stated my disappointments about what I saw last night but Reggie Ball was not one of them. In comparing Ball with Joe or Shawn we must keep in mind that both of them played as RS Freshmen and they both struggled BIG TIME before they developed into the great QB's they became. I don't think I've seen any QB struggle anymore than Hamilton did in the Navy game on Grant Field. Yes we lost as little Joe threw an interception directly to a Navy DB after we drove inside the Navy twenty yard line with what would have been the winning points. Reggie will without a doubt have some growing pains but he was not the reason we lost last night. One aspect of our game that I think we did improve on was the ST with the exception of the punting.

Back