Respect from Venables

Thanks Madden! Should you also try to score more points than we do to?

The best way to stop the option is to disrupt the mesh. The teams that have stopped us best are those who can beat blockers and get into the backfield while the play develops.

What's not classy about it? That's part of how I would defend it if it were up to me.

He didn't say go after the QBs head and knees every play. This is still football, hitting ball carriers is still legal.

Agreed. This is the proper way to defend the option. Tackle your assigned back on every play as if they have the ball.

The best way to stop the option is to disrupt the mesh. The teams that have stopped us best are those who can beat blockers and get into the backfield while the play develops.

Hurry and take down the Blueprint before they see it! :biggrin:

We've beaten ourselves on offense more than they've beaten us. VT is really the only team in the ACC to consistently play our offense well - but it comes at great cost to them.

Unless we are playing poorly I think we'll score plenty of points. Pitt last year had that super stud DT (who is lighting it up in NFL I think) who blew up a few plays but we still managed to put some points up.

I expect we'll see something a bit more like the Miami game - we'll have a few blown up plays and probably a harder time cutting off backside pursuit. That will mean lots of 3 and 4 yard plays with some "big" ones going for 6-8. The result will be DEATHMARCH and 40 min TOP. Clemson can't score when their offense is riding the pine.

Hopefully the defense can get us at least 3 legit stops and 1 or 2 turnovers.

I'm hoping for a carbon copy of the Miami game...

- Long sustained drives that get punched in for 6.
- Lots of pressure on Clemson to score every time they get it.
- Rowdy crowd getting into Watson's head.

I'm excited for some more blitzing off the edge. Been a breath of fresh air seeing that the last 2/3 weeks. We gave up some big scrambles last week, but put them behind the chains on several occasions as well. All we need is a few punts in the 1st half and we're in control of the whole game.

The best way to defeat any team is to get into their backfield and disrupt their timing regardless if it is a passing or running play.

The best way to defeat any team is to get into their backfield and disrupt their timing regardless if it is a passing or running play.
That's fair, but it's actually a correct way to stop our offense, as opposed to the oft-cited "assignment football."

D lineman defeats O lineman diving at his feet, gets into backfield to disrupt QB running lane = problem solved.

Easy to accomplish? No, but not impossible. You can even crash line with LB or strong safety - see VT 2013. But we had a hesitant QB running that offense.

Though we might be a bit more vulnerable to it than other offenses since we don't have much in the way of screen plays. Though that may counter aggressiveness more than actual penetration.

Just out of curiosity, has unnecessary roughness ever been flagged for someone planting one of our CPJ era QBs late after the pitch?

UNC last year, I believe.

Saying something like crush the QB every play, even if he doesn't have the ball, is dumb. It's a penalty.

I think he's pretty worried about us, just from how he speaks about the option. That may or may not mean that he's got a good strategy, we'll see, but I'll bet he's losing sleep over it

BYU got two personal fouls in one drive against us in 2012 using the hit the QB method. One was a combo late hit & helmet-to-helmet on Vad that looked really bad.

Our offense is pretty öööö good this year. Any DC who wouldn't be concerned is a dumb***. This supports my previous assumption that Venables is not a dumb***.

Last edited:
I can't really remember one. Honestly JT's blindside hit last year from Miami when he was passing is probably the hardest I remember any QB getting hit since Johnson has been here.

There've been a few I thought warranted flags because defender hit QB in the chin with crown of helmet.

Jaybo got D-stroyed in the game vs Miss St

[y]yAE0phbU1CY[/y]

UNC last year, I believe.

Saying something like crush the QB every play, even if he doesn't have the ball, is dumb. It's a penalty.

It's only a penalty if the QB is "clearly out of the play"...even in the NFL where you can't breathe on a QB the wrong way without getting penalized.

Back