Richt's Troops No Role Models

Father WASP

Flats Noob
Richt\'s Troops No Role Models

Did you guys see Furman Bisher's column last week? An official said to Furman that Georgia was the worst trash talking team in college football on the field.

Didn't surprise me. While Pollack waving his arms around is simply childish and annoying, the yapping is evident to everyone.

This is a Tech board and I couldn't care less about that bunch - their behavior simply is consistent with what goes on in the seats - but I've seen some references here and elsewhere, especially in the national media about how "clean" he is. Richt is simply following in Bowden's steps - using the faith issue but not to the point it reflects on field sportsmanship.

While we debate discipline in our own program we should not make the mistake of following our rival as an example, that is all.

Before any mutts post back I can go ahead and tell you something in this order: Richt or no Richt, still no class. Second, I don't care. Third, and most important - To Hell With Georgia .

Re: Richt\'s Troops No Role Models

Father WASP .. we may choose to disagree about our head coach

but we will always agree about UGA.

TO HELL WITH GEORGIA

Originally posted by Father WASP:
Richt is simply following in Bowden's steps - using the faith issue but not to the point it reflects on field sportsmanship
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You better watch out...

Some fonts (GT fans) on this board want to annoint Richt a Reverend, and condemn those to hell who don't like Richt's act.

(yeah I was exxagerating... but proving a point!
smile.gif
)

That behavior goes on everywhere. Didn't you see Jonathan Smith acting like T. Owens when he caught that TD pass in our EMBARASSING loss to Fresno State? What about our "choirboys" dancing on the G in Sanford and Son?

This is the problem I have with most of my fellow Tech fans. We seem to hate Ugag more than we love our own team, to the point that we put on blinders with regards to our program. Was one of our players arrested for marijuana possession a few years ago? Did that player miss significant playing time? I thought so. This board's been making me sick with so many people living vicariously through other programs that might have a chance to beat Ugag. You know what I mean...all the GO NOLES! crap before the Sugar Bowl. The whining that that mutt pushed off in the endzone against Auburn, like it had any bearing, any at all, on us. Shut up, already!

I don't give a rat's tater hole what Ugag does against other teams. That's the true meaning of TO HELL WITH GEORGIA! Some of you guys care too much.

Sorry for the rant.

Interesting post. Thanks for the rant.

BTW I don't pay any attention to what the puppies do in other games.

Count: Very correct, some posters carry on about Georgia in a jealous like manner. Don't really understand why they seem to have one eye on Georgia and one eye on the Jackets instead of focusing only on the Jackets. Let them go about their business while we take care of ours is what I believe we need to do.

I guess Bisher's doing his duty as an old GT homer to take a cheap shot at UGA and attempt to denigrate what Richt is accomplishing at UGA. Rings pretty hollow with any semi-observant non-geriatric fan who can watch most any game and see too much jawboning going on. If GT had put as much effort into playing football against UGA as they did flapping their yaps and braiding their dredlocks the game would not have ended 51-7. Go back and watch the tape and tell me who is undisciplined and talking the most trash. As for fan conduct I'll just ask which school gets national press for bashing opponents with mackerel and officials with liquor bottles. Not to mention trashing the instruments of the Maryland band and putting students on the field to flip-off and taunt UGA players. If UGA fans were the unruly mob you suggest we would have headed down Techwood Drive after the SEC champ win and burned down BDS. Instead of criticising UGA I suggest you get your own house in order.
drinking.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif

Personally, I watch with both eyes, the Jackets at all times while I stand on the head of a mutt.

And guess what kinds of boots I'm wearing?

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
I guess Bisher's doing his duty as an old GT homer to take a cheap shot at UGA and attempt to denigrate what Richt is accomplishing at UGA. Rings pretty hollow with any semi-observant non-geriatric fan who can watch most any game and see too much jawboning going on. If GT had put as much effort into playing football against UGA as they did flapping their yaps and braiding their dredlocks the game would not have ended 51-7. Go back and watch the tape and tell me who is undisciplined and talking the most trash. As for fan conduct I'll just ask which school gets national press for bashing opponents with mackerel and officials with liquor bottles. Not to mention trashing the instruments of the Maryland band and putting students on the field to flip-off and taunt UGA players. If UGA fans were the unruly mob you suggest we would have headed down Techwood Drive after the SEC champ win and burned down BDS. Instead of criticising UGA I suggest you get your own house in order.
drinking.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">furman bisher may be a Tech homer but he has class unlike classless brown nosed uga homers.

there is a difference between "semi-observant non geriatric" fans and an official who bisher talks to and respects enough to opine on his conversation with him in an article

thanks for bringing up the 51-7 game. you're right about that ..

now ..

who's players are known for belly humping their opponents? "humper down you hairy dog?"

who's fans are known to chew so much tobacco as to fill a beer glass with tobacco juice so that they can pour it upon the opposing coach?

who's fans are so dumb that they shut down airports and cost the economy millions of dollars while trying to follow their great team?

oh .. and are we supposed to be thankful that the unruly georgia mob didn't come down and burn down BDS?? i mean .. thank you so much for not doing that. next year when we play football in our stadium, we should all be thankful for the uga mob which didn't burn our stadium down.

uga fans were prolly too drunk to do anything that night.

MeLuvUGA, you're living in a dream world if you think UGA fans are well-behaved. There was a post on the Dawgvent from an UGA fan who was openly bragging about vandalizing cars in 2001 that had Tech stickers on them. There were numerous posts here and on the Hive about Tech fans getting f-bombed while walking with their young children in Athens. There was another incident where an UGA fan swung at a Tech fan and missed and hit the Tech fan's girlfriend. Of course, the UGA band always vandalized the inflatable Buzz when it was around. UGA fans are some of the worst behaved in the country. That doesn't condone Tech players stomping on the G. That was completely wrong. I've also been disappointed by the lack of discipline in other games as well. However, UGA isn't a bunch of saints either. Pollack slapped the face mask of an Arkansas lineman and taunted him. It's not like UGA is strictly discplined.

I think it is a sign of the times and UGA certainly isn't immune from acting foolish on the field. Personally, I hope Richt addresses the trash talking and exuberance issue in Spring practice.

I would also like to point out that Tech fans are obsessed with all things UGA. Why should you really care how our players act. Your focus should be on righting your own ship!

May I also remind you that dancing on another teams logo isn't exactly wise behavior, especially when they didn't have the talent to back it up.

Again, my own brethren in yellow and black are full of horse hockey.

I was at the game at Sanford and saw only good-natured ribbing coming from those in red and black. I heard a few profanities coming from BOTH SIDES!

I was also at the UVA game when a Tech fan threw a liquor bottle at a referee and stone cold knocked his old ass out. Oh, and how 'bout the time Tech students started a fight with the Maryland band...Yeah, we're in a vacuum here at Tech. All the other schools, particularly Ugag, or TOIN (Tech's Obsession In Athens) as I like to call them, are classless jerks and whores who loot and pillage and commit unspeakable atrocities the world over.

GTTERRIFIC,
Thanks for correcting me. I do not think it is wise to call out players by name. I did not mean to name Smith by name. I guess I got a little emotional. But the play i am talking about is a reciever on the last Tech drive, caught a long ball by Bilbo down to like the 30 something yard line and got up and flexed. Later on Bilbo through a interception that stopped the drive. That play stood out to me.
As far as stomping on the 'G', I have no inside stories or anything, so maybe the coaches addressed the issue. I hope they did. The coach can't control the fans, but he can control his players.

Uh, MeLuvUgagLongTime, care to tell us how Bisher is cheap shotting Ugag when all he says is an official told him Ugag players trashtalk more than anyone. Sounds like the official, who probably has a better idea than any of us, is the one taking Ugag to task.

jacknets.

I totally agree with you. There are some things we really need to clean up on the team. Get no argument from me. Sorry, I was talking about a totally different play than you mentioned. I DO recall the one you're talking about. We need to chill out and act like we've been there before. There is one thing to be pumped up and excited. We seem to be losing focus at times. I love it when a player makes a spectacular play that puts jump in his step, and he shows that focus to get back in the huddle and make the next play. Those are the real leaders on the field a lot of times. Joe Hamilton had that down to an art. There is a big differnce between being confident and cocky.

Go Jackets!

Joe Hamilton had the heart of a champion. He was a major asset to the program, and his leadership is sorely missed. Still, I was disappointed in his behavior after the loss to Miami in '99. But not enough to ignore his place in Tech history.

Originally posted by MeLuvUgaLongTime:
drinking.gif
mad.gif
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">

The post was not about the fans, it was about the players. Trash talking is part of the game-unfortunately. Lots of teams do it. I'm from the old school so I hate that stuff. UGA players can do what they want to. I could care less what UGA does. Tech should be man enought to walk away from it

As for me, Tech needs to grow up. I watched players celebrate after making touchdowns and even catches when they were behnd in the bowl game. Was it Smith who caught that pass late in the bowl game and got up and started flexing, like he did something great??? You are in a 2 minute offense, you make the catch and get up and get back to run the next play. As for as Tech stomping on the "G" at the UGA game, I wasn't there, but if they did, it doesn't have much class, and if you are going to do crap like that then you better back it up. Of course all this comes from coaching. The coaches could stop it if they wanted too.

Jacketnest, I hear what you're saying. Some good points about character.

In my opinion I think it would be best for GT, it's players, and fans for us to be careful about what we say about student athletes. You asked a question I realize. You weren't spacific, but you did mentions someones name.

Was a TD play that put us in the lead in regards to someone flexing. It wasn't Smith. There are two Smiths on the team. One is D Smith our backer. Another is J Smith our WR. Was neither one of them. J. Smith , "Freddie", caught the touch down pass on the play you are talking about.

I don't like what happened on the G either. Who's to say the coaches haven't delt with that issue?? Do you know that for a fact?

I'm not taking up for anyone. I just don't like people blasting our student athletes without facts.

You're points are excellent in my opinion. I hear what you're saying.

Back