RIP Giles Smith FB Letterwinner 1964-1966 (OBIT Link)

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
LINK

For those who remember the Lenny Snow (#41)-Giles Smith(#42)-Jimmy Brown(#43) three headed TB of the end Coach Dodd's era, Giles was a reliable RB from Valdosta. His last year he switched over to Bud Carson's 4-4-3 (Split 6) "Tech" Defense as one of the original Stingers or Wreckers (can't remember whether he played the strong or weak side) on Dodd's last Orange Bowl team.

YeOldeDeepSnap knew Giles as Jack Thompson's cigar-chewing, wise-cracking co-worker in the then fledgling FB recuiting office. Liked golf almost as much as he did football.

RIP, Giles

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
RIP. I remember him as this was just the time I was beginning my fanhood. My father had made the point that he was from Valdosta, the most renowned program in the state at that time. I did not remember that he played RB before switching to LB.

Edited to add: Lenny Snow was our top TB, and Jimmy Brown was a premier punt returner at that time.

F

flushed 01

LINK

For those who remember the Lenny Snow (#41)-Giles Smith(#42)-Jimmy Brown(#43) three headed TB of the end Coach Dodd's era, Giles was a reliable RB from Valdosta. His last year he switched over to Bud Carson's 4-4-3 (Split 6) "Tech" Defense as one of the original Stingers or Wreckers (can't remember whether he played the strong or weak side) on Dodd's last Orange Bowl team.

YeOldeDeepSnap knew Giles as Jack Thompson's cigar-chewing, wise-cracking co-worker in the then fledgling FB recuiting office. Liked golf almost as much as he did football.

RIP, Giles
Knew him well and his wife Donna Jo

donsue

Flats Noob
LINK

RIP, Giles
Another of the good ones. Hate to hear it.

donsue

Flats Noob
Another of the good ones. Hate to hear it.
I also remember the story Kim King told of Giles, after being smacked hard vs Auburn, said in the huddle; “can’t we just go to the Varsity and talk about this”

DeepSnap

Flats Noob
Just went back & checked the obit & they have fleshed it out.

Possible reason for the delay might be the CTE cited as being caused from Giles' numerous concussions. Takes a while to get the post mortem results..... sad to hear of this.... and some of my teammates from 50 years ago now fear they may have CTE.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Just went back & checked the obit & they have fleshed it out.

Possible reason for the delay might be the CTE cited as being caused from Giles' numerous concussions. Takes a while to get the post mortem results..... sad to hear of this.... and some of my teammates from 50 years ago now fear they may have CTE.
Very sorry to hear this. I hope they are all wrong about having CTE.