RIP Pepper Rodgers

He made football at Tech fun to watch. His teams would somtimes score 40 -50 points a game and still lose. You might remember he had a kickoff man E.O. Wheeler and the fans would shout EEEEEooooooooooooo when he approached the ball! Then, on his Sunday footballprogram,he would open up by saying " well we lost another game folks, but the sun will rise again tomorrow". Lastly, his habit was not to wear socks on his TV show so invaribly hewould get several pair mailed to him weekly. Finally he said laughingly " folks please don't send me any more socks" ! As I said, he made football fun! RIP PEPPER.

Well it's fourth and long gone for Pepper. Seems like just yesterday he was raising hell at Tech. Adios, mi amigo. I'll be along shortly.
51t0BFvNWsL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Again, I gotta ask why everyone is focusing on him as a coach. He won a Natty at QB. That's what he should be remembered for!
Because the starting QB on the 1952 MNC team was Bill Brigman.

Pepper didn't talk his way onto the field to do much of anything other than PK til 1953.

upload_2020-5-15_16-37-48.png

I thought he could have been a Bobby Bowden or Dabo. He was ahead of his time personality wise. He could recruit but the alumni wasn’t ready for him. Too bad, we had fun.

Pepper liked straight on kickers. I had a friend that I taught how to kick as a freshman in high school. I could kick (55 yarder from wide hash mark) but my buddy was kicking them 60+ At GT tryouts. “Pepper doesn’t like soccer style kickers, I’m wasting my time.”
And his Dad was a backup QB to Pepper.
By the way I moved to Maryland and soon started playing tennis with Tony Lindhart one of the first soccer style kickers in the NFL. The irony.... I often wondered if Pepper was too old school....it was old school that took him down. But I liked him all the way.

Just received word he has passed away. Not the greatest coach ever for Tech but he did some cool things. God a signed football by him. Just a nice individual. Prayers for his family.
Unfortunately, we are going to see the old Dodd guys passing more and more. Sad to lose a bunch of good folks

Well it's fourth and long gone for Pepper. Seems like just yesterday he was raising hell at Tech. Adios, mi amigo. I'll be along shortly.

Hopefully Esso you are exaggerating the speed of your reunion with Pepper.

My father was a 23 year old freshman (after a stint in the AF) when Pepper was a senior. I was visiting him yesterday and told him the news about Pepper. I was also able to find his Blueprint annual for that year. We looked through the football section and Pepper was very prominent. Ended the season as MVP of the Sugar Bowl after a 42-19 victory over West Virginia. He played behind Wade Mitchell at QB that season but once again starred in a bowl game.

Hopefully Esso you are exaggerating the speed of your reunion with Pepper.

My father was a 23 year old freshman (after a stint in the AF) when Pepper was a senior. I was visiting him yesterday and told him the news about Pepper. I was also able to find his Blueprint annual for that year. We looked through the football section and Pepper was very prominent. Ended the season as MVP of the Sugar Bowl after a 42-19 victory over West Virginia. He played behind Wade Mitchell at QB that season but once again starred in a bowl game.
It appears your dad and Pepper are the same age or very close. So yeah, I am exaggerating. :thumbup:

51t0BFvNWsL._SX373_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What the hell is that supposed to mean: "I'll be along shortly" - you'll be along when StinGTalk is damn good 'n ready to let you be along. Till such time, you ain't goin no wheres.

What the hell is that supposed to mean: "I'll be along shortly" - you'll be along when StinGTalk is damn good 'n ready to let you be along. Till such time, you ain't goin no wheres.
Thanks. I feel the love. From here on out I'll remember what Satchel Paige said: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." And: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"

Thanks. I feel the love. From here on out I'll remember what Satchel Paige said: "Age is a question of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." And: "How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are?"
"Don't let the old man in."

Back