RIP Sun Bowl

During the pandemic, they should have had two teams "on call" for each bowl game, so the game could still be played in the event of a cancellation by one of the original teams. The replacement teams would get the extra practice time and then revenue for the bowl.

During the pandemic, they should have had two teams "on call" for each bowl game, so the game could still be played in the event of a cancellation by one of the original teams. The replacement teams would get the extra practice time and then revenue for the bowl.
This is actually a good idea. It benefits teams that need the extra practice if they're chosen as alternates.

banhammergot.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Let's go Ban-don.

I wish Tech's season would have gone like Miami's. By winning enough games to forfeit a bowl game, and still firing their coach into the sun. I am jealous.

I am proud of our secondary for practicing social distancing all season long though.

I'm not sure there are enough teams in FBS to have two alternates on call for every bowl game.

Really though, while this would have been nice I don't think it would've been logistically or financially feasible. The games just don't mean enough -- we always hear stories about teams losing money while going to bowls, now imagine if the bowl revenue for some of these "who cares" bowls was split among four teams instead of two. And you'd be keeping kids away from their families during the holidays to practice for bowl games that they likely are't going to get to play in.

Back