Rose Bowl Bear

Progress is always two steps forward and one step backwards. Sure I can watch every Georgia Tech game every week, but if Key leads us to a Rose Bowl win, there's zero chance that we get gifted a bear that then lives in the stadium -- so really, what's even the point?

Just a regular Chad walking his bear home after savaging someone's mom.

Joe Auer had a lion cub that he kept in his dorm room. I copied this from another site

Joe was a transfer from "da U"..... Clifford...That was the name of Joe's pet lion....Clifford was a cub but stood about two feet tall and weighted maybe 150 lbs.....Bigger than your average house and cute as a button....So Joe has Clifford on a collar and leesh and comes into the dining hall....Well, all the servers (black girls...these were segregated times) start screaming and run into the kitchen....Helen Twiggs (the dietitian) comes out and immediately calls the AA who sends over Coach Jim Carlen (the DC at the time) who turns red and makes Joe and Clifford leave without their supper....Sad but true....Now everything returns to normal except for the black girls who have now turned white.....

So, the next day I hookup with Joe and say "Joe, let's take Clifford for a ride".....Joe, you see, had a convertible.......Chevy I think it was......We put the top down and off we go.....Up and down Peachtree Street....Joe driving and Clifford sitting between us on the front seat.....Folks honking and waving...We're having a grand old time.......Then I have a brainstorm and say to Joe "Let's go to the Varsity".....So we pull in and park.....Me, Joe and Clifford....Top down........Well, the next two hours were magic....We end up with about twenty phone numbers of the prettiest girls you've ever seen.......Clifford turned out to be a chick magnet.....God bless Clifford and may you for ever rest in peace...

OK, I found out what I asked about. Tommy Bleick was the team captain in '65 and went on to play for the Colts and the Falcons. He died in 2022. Joe Auer died in 2019.

RIP

Joe Auer had a lion cub that he kept in his dorm room. I copied this from another site

Joe was a transfer from "da U"..... Clifford...That was the name of Joe's pet lion....Clifford was a cub but stood about two feet tall and weighted maybe 150 lbs.....Bigger than your average house and cute as a button....So Joe has Clifford on a collar and leesh and comes into the dining hall....Well, all the servers (black girls...these were segregated times) start screaming and run into the kitchen....Helen Twiggs (the dietitian) comes out and immediately calls the AA who sends over Coach Jim Carlen (the DC at the time) who turns red and makes Joe and Clifford leave without their supper....Sad but true....Now everything returns to normal except for the black girls who have now turned white.....

So, the next day I hookup with Joe and say "Joe, let's take Clifford for a ride".....Joe, you see, had a convertible.......Chevy I think it was......We put the top down and off we go.....Up and down Peachtree Street....Joe driving and Clifford sitting between us on the front seat.....Folks honking and waving...We're having a grand old time.......Then I have a brainstorm and say to Joe "Let's go to the Varsity".....So we pull in and park.....Me, Joe and Clifford....Top down........Well, the next two hours were magic....We end up with about twenty phone numbers of the prettiest girls you've ever seen.......Clifford turned out to be a chick magnet.....God bless Clifford and may you for ever rest in peace...
I have a coworker whose father lived with his grandparents in the Piedmont Park area during the Stumpy era. He said his father would tell him of Stumpy taking the bear out on Sunday drives in this neighborhood. This coworker's father was in grade school then.

Back