roster updated

Can speed make up for size or can you change the scheme to fit for size/speed?

Do you think Roof is going for penetration over gap plugging to fit our players? I know our OL was not entirely first string in the spring game, but the DL sure got good penetration and backfield disruption.

The question is did he ask our guys to keep it slim and fast or did they fail to beef up?

More agressive defenses like Boise State's are typically smaller in size on the DL. I'd take their D any day.

C'mon You cannot immediately say our DL is going to suck based on reading heights and weights.

Maybe Gotsis will be the next Joe Anoai? Daryl Richard played at 285 much of his career also.

Gotsis has incredible technique and intensity....I will guarantee you that Gotsis is harder to block at 280 than TJ Barnes was 95% of his career at 330...just because of technique, pad level, and intensity.

Gotsis will be a 3 year starter.

actually scheme alone will help the 280 type DT's.....one gap pen you don't need to be 330 as you force the OL to block the penetration vs absorb the OL and react.

Our DL is going to be 270, 280, 280, 240....not horrible for NCAA in a 4-3

actually scheme alone will help the 280 type DT's.....one gap pen you don't need to be 330 as you force the OL to block the penetration vs absorb the OL and react.

Isn't that about what VT has had the last few years? I know they go even smaller against us.

Isn't that about what VT has had the last few years? I know they go even smaller against us.

not sure but in general a 4-3 in college will look like 270, 280ish, 300, 250 across the front.

we are not that far off. These weights are typical for a BCS competing school in a major conf.

Every once and a while you have a 4-3 that is like 270, 305, 300, 265....but rare....some bigtimers like UF, or Ohio State etc may trott that out.

but in general, 265/270 on SDE, 5tech 280, 3tech 300, WDE 250ish range is really typical

+1. It's the same argument the last 3 yrs when we were running the 3-4. Some folks don't realize the our DL was bigger than Stanford and I think Alabama. Our issue was at the point if attack on the LOS.

not sure but in general a 4-3 in college will look like 270, 280ish, 300, 250 across the front.

we are not that far off. These weights are typical for a BCS competing school in a major conf.

Every once and a while you have a 4-3 that is like 270, 305, 300, 265....but rare....some bigtimers like UF, or Ohio State etc may trott that out.

but in general, 265/270 on SDE, 5tech 280, 3tech 300, WDE 250ish range is really typical

I just picked 09 at random. VT's DE's were 252 and 240. On the inside they were 308 and 275.

253, 252, 295 and 312 are this years weights for VT on the line. What's interesting is that they garner a lot of respect. Showing that they don't need to be huge to be good.

I just picked 09 at random. VT's DE's were 252 and 240. On the inside they were 308 and 275.

253, 252, 295 and 312 are this years weights for VT on the line. What's interesting is that they garner a lot of respect. Showing that they don't need to be huge to be good.

er, you don't think that 312 and 295 are larger than most DTs including OURS
throw in 2 250 lb DEs is a nice sized line

er, you don't think that 312 and 295 are larger than most DTs including OURS
throw in 2 250 lb DEs is a nice sized line

VT is known to pad roster stats. Those guys are probably a little lighter and actually a 290 and 310 DT is not too uncommon for a bigtime program with no recruiting hurdles. For gt that would be big. For VT FSU Clemson the SEC i would expect that

+1. It's the same argument the last 3 yrs when we were running the 3-4. Some folks don't realize the our DL was bigger than Stanford and I think Alabama. Our issue was at the point if attack on the LOS.

TJ Barnes kind of skewed the weight totals there....what was he, 357?

Back