Ryan Stewart vs. Coleman Rudolf

techfowl

Jolly Good Fellow
Ryan Stewart talks sports for a living - i.e. he is judged by his sports opinion - and he has been behind Tech all year. Not by picking us to win - but by remaining proud to be a Jacket. I can't remember all the times I've seen him on TV with a Tech pin or something yellow to represent.

Again this week, with a *flashing* "Buzz" on his lapel.

Rudolf, on the other hand, only had to be a fan or a loyal alumnus - he's got a job where he is not judged by his sports opinion, unless he's so insecure that he thinks he only can manage money if people remember 1990. And CR said the things he's said.

Rudolf had the ear of everyone - us, Bulldawg nation, and every ACC and SEC fan in and around Atlanta and he took the opportunity to trash the program in the most condescending and disrespectful way. It was clear that he was embarassed to be associated with GT.

I'm sure Coleman regrets the things he said and who he bowed down to - it's over, and he gets what he gets - loss of respect that can't be earned back and loss of revenue from those who didn't like what he said.

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube.

Ryan, on the other hand, week after week, tactfully defends us against Rudy Martzke of USA Today and Matt Stewart, a true Bulldog lover.

Better yet - what other sports figure do you see with alumnus apparell each week on TV? (Even when we were losing.)

I appreciate Ryan for representing us well professionally as well as standing by the program when it wasn't in vogue.

You find out what people are made of in the bad times - not the good ones.

Thank you Ryan, for representing GT well.

Well said Techfowl... I know Ryan personally, .. and while I know he wasnt happy about the way some things have gone over the past couple of years.. he NEVER trashes the school or the program.. it doesnt mean he always agrees, or picks us to win.. but there is a big difference in saying "Tech could have a tough time against Auburn" versus "Tech wouldnt win that game with 15 guys on the field" ... Coleman Rudolph certainly lost my respect, not that it would matter to him... I cant imagine why anyone would listen to that 680 bunch anyway..

I too have become fond of listening to Ryan Stewart when college football is the topic. Didn't use to be that way.

His loyalty to Tech is absolutely great!! Especially when you consider that his career here was during the dark ages after '90 (please correct me if I am wrong). It sure seems to me that his fondest football memories came on the flats playing for free, and not his professional career.

Rudolph on the other hand is a joke. My personal opinion is that his boyhood idol, Belue, got the best of this 1990 champion in a mindgame. Rudolph couldn't spar with Buck, so he piled on Tech. As a result, not only does he look like an idiot, he has lost all respect from the Tech family.

I think you are probably way overstating your condemnation of Coleman Rudolph. It is amazing how anyone who has concerns about Chan has to be condemned.

But I do agree that Ryan Stewart is a cool dude and good Tech man also.

beeware, you just refuse to listen don't you. I've never seen anyone say that you can't disagree with Chan or Braine or anybody else for that matter. But making fun of your alma mater on the radio isn't the same as disagreeing or having concerns. It's an insult to anyone who has a degree from Tech. And once you've insulted Tech as far as I'm concerned, you don't deserve my respect.

Beeware writes:

I think you are probably way overstating your condemnation of Coleman Rudolph. It is amazing how anyone who has concerns about Chan has to be condemned.

Wrong!
Anybody who chooses to bash his family in the prescence of his natural "enemy" deserves being condemned and ostracized.
mad.gif

Originally posted by beeware:

But I do agree that Ryan Stewart is a cool dude and good Tech man also.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">They both have concerns beeware. One has class and doesn't air them in public forums(hint hint). One doesn't show it and doesn't mind trashing the program(hint hint).
Ryan is an awesome guy!!

Beeware,

Can you even read? Obviously not. Yor hatred of Gailey is blinding you to the obvious.

It's not merely "having concerns" about Gailey that is the problem. Although I support the Georgia Tech Head Coach 110%, I have some "concerns" myself. (I had "concerns" about GOL, too). The problem is when those "concerns" are transformed into disrespectful cheap shots.

What you don't seem to realize is that a cheap shot at the Georgia Tech head football coach IS a cheap shot at Georgia Tech. You can dress it up any way you want - as the concerns of a "loyal" fan or whatever - but it remains a CHEAP SHOT leveled at Georgia Tech.

Rudolph took his cheap shots - now he has to live with the results. BTW, I hope there is no more room on the bandwagon when he wants to jump on.

To BeeWare,

If we stink, we stink.

I don't mind if one of our guys says we're no good when we're no good - but even Buck Belue says things like, "Tech will have a real hard time beating anybody," or, "They just don't have the personnel to handle those kinds of losses."

Even I agreed with the ALL the things Buck said - even though he and I were wrong. Buck Belue didn't even add insult to injury. He only insults in good fun - and when it's actually bad, he's professional about it.

So - to make it REAL clear. I thought we would stink, too. And although I never said it to a ton of people - I had no problem with "Tech stinks" being said (in a professional way) outside of the fact that I HATED hearing it.

Coleman went way beyond Tech stinks and took his verbage to the point of ridicule - and further - he called for the resignation of a coach who had less than two full seasons under his belt.

My problem with calling for a resignation is that it just will never happen after that short a time - it can only serve to hurt recruiting and our reputation.

Calling for the termination of a coach you don't like is ok - but not when it serves zero purpose on the positive, but does serve a purpose for the negative.

Coleman was embarassed to be associated with GT and he said it.

Saying we stink is one thing. Saying you don't want to be associated with your school so that you can save face in front of people that would cheer if you got hurt in 1990 is absurd, terrible, and shows a serious character flaw.

It's ok if he doesn't want to be associated with me as long as he understands that now, I don't want to be associated with him.

He'll sure never see the amount of money I was SERIOUSLY considering transferring to his business. I will never try to hurt the guy, but I won't help him now either.

We're getting off the subject and part of it is my own fault.

This post was intended to be props for Ryan. I almost left out Rudolf in the first post anyway.

Back to the task at hand. Thanks to Ryan for being who he is.

I disagree with the paste in the tube analogy. The one thing I have learned in my business is how unbelievably forgiving people are in our society.

If Coleman were to come out tomorrow and formally apologize and say he just screwed up (and really mean it) most would get past it. And over time almost all would get past it.

But it takes alot to call yourself a horse's ass and mean it. Most cannot do it.

GTFlunkout,

Take issue with my "bandwagon" statement if you wish, but I don't want people who are going to turn on the program when things get tough. I wouldn't want ANY of those people in a foxhole with me, that's for sure.

And exactly WHY has the fan base been 'fractured"? It was fractured by those people who, while they claim to be "fans", refused to support Georgia Tech. They refused their support of Georgia Tech's head football coach and took cheap shots at him. That is nothing less than refusal to support Georgia Tech and taking cheap shots at the Institute. There is nothing wrong with reasoned posts that express concern or even criticism. But refusing support, taking cheap shots and ridiculing the Institute's decisions and efforts is nothing but a lack of loyalty.

I respect and understand your opinion, but just don't agree with it. They can stay away for all I care.

Originally posted by getwrecked:
GTFlunkout,

Take issue with my "bandwagon" statement if you wish, but I don't want people who are going to turn on the program when things get tough. I wouldn't want ANY of those people in a foxhole with me, that's for sure.

And exactly WHY has the fan base been 'fractured"? It was fractured by those people who, while they claim to be "fans", refused to support Georgia Tech. They refused their support of Georgia Tech's head football coach and took cheap shots at him. That is nothing less than refusal to support Georgia Tech and taking cheap shots at the Institute. There is nothing wrong with reasoned posts that express concern or even criticism. But refusing support, taking cheap shots and ridiculing the Institute's decisions and efforts is nothing but a lack of loyalty.

I respect and understand your opinion, but just don't agree with it. They can stay away for all I care.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I feel like Bill Clinton. I'm flip flopping. I'm with you GTwrecked. they can all kiss Ma Tech's ass on their way out the door.
drinking.gif

Getwrecked - while I can certainly understand your feelings - I would point out it is pretty hard to fill the new stadium with just the "true" believers. Need a few sidewalk fans and all the returning folks we can get.

They don't have to be in your foxhole, just buy tickets.

Far as I'm concerned, Coleman needs to apologize. After that happens I'm sure most will welcome him back, if he figures out why we're so pissed at him. And UncleOJ, if he was just a fan talking at a tailgate I wouldn't care. But when he's spouting off on the radio and making fun of Tech, he's crossed a line IMO.

I was so disgusted before the NCST game when I walked by the Fraternity that sells their soul to 680 The Fan on game days. Not only ere Buc and Kincade itting on their porch, but Coleman Rudolf too. I wanted to go up and yell at him so bad, but I realized I would just tak myself down to their level. How can that Fraternity live with such scumbags?

Originally posted by Kennesawkid:
I was so disgusted before the NCST game when I walked by the Fraternity that sells their soul to 680 The Fan on game days. Not only ere Buc and Kincade itting on their porch, but Coleman Rudolf too. I wanted to go up and yell at him so bad, but I realized I would just tak myself down to their level. How can that Fraternity live with such scumbags?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Probably because David Dickey (station owner?) was a Sigma Chi so not only do they get their house mentioned on the radio all the time, but they also get (at least used to get) free advertizing for the 5K race that they put on. Sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Am I the only Tech fan that likes 680? I don't know why everyone complains about Buck & Kincade. They say much more positive stuff about GT than Coleman does. Buck always gives credit where credit is due. I don't care that he went to UGA, he doesn't badmouth Tech like a lot of other Atlanta radio personalities seem to do.

I agree law bee.

I also take issue with the statement "I hope there is no room left on the bandwagon..."

We have been fractured for far too long, and it SUCKS. Our fan base has been divided since the hire of Chan Gailey, and the balance has ebbed and flowed from week to week.

It is my hope that in the end after enough crow is eaten that there is room for Coleman, for Beeware, for MsTechAnalysis, for all those folks that are proven wrong and in the end look like an ass. Call me crazy, but I want them all back under the same EZ-Up canopy as everyone who bid their time before drawing premature conclusions.

I'm sick of dividing GEORGIA TECH fans into FOC and anti-FOC camps. I said before the season to not worry about what Coleman or anyone on the board said about Chan, that the only thing that would kill it and make them pay would be when CCG succeeds. CCG is succeeding.

As I predicted, Coleman has egg on his face BIG TIME. He has made himself look terrible and is paying the price. To me, that's enough punishment.

Coleman is a fan. He is emotionally invested in this program and obviously gets frustrated when the team stinks, especially when the solution to the problem seems so obvious to him. Why shouldn't he express his frustration?

Back