Sabans recruiting pitch is everything you thought it would be

QuadF

Dodd-Like
Joined
May 23, 2011
Messages
6,071
Here is a quick thought over my morning coffee. He mentions 64 players in the "league". Every year he has around 100 players on on scholarship/PWO. In the last 4 years that is 400 young men that soon will need to find their way in the world. 64 out of 400 means 16% have a job and good income with which to plan a future ( career outside football, family, etc.). I never hear him mention a college education or degree for the other 84% or their prospects after Alabama. What about them? Is he too busy doing AFLAC commercials to care? These are critical recruiting points to use with 95% of the rest of the HS student-athletes out there that have a lot of talent and potential regardless of star rating. Just sayin'.
He isn't turning over 100 players per year. Probably closer to 35.
 

rghoae

Flats Noob
Joined
Nov 2, 2008
Messages
820
Nothing untrue in there. What Saban doesn't say, and the recruit is too young to realize, is that pitch is the reason Saban makes millions every year. He got whipped in the NFL when he had to excel as a coach. In the college game where he needs only excel as a recruiter, he has the ability to pile up those gaudy statistics. And because he piled them up as a grabber of talent instead of developer of talent, the statistics lose their meaing.

Alabama under Saban doesn't "send people" to the NFL as much as it's really good at directing traffic through Alabama to the NFL that would've gotten drafted from wherever.
Even if this is entirely true (and it most certainly isn't..Saban was a bad NFL coach but NFL coaching is not about developing players as much as developing a cohesive team and system and adapting rapidly on a week to week basis with new schemes and strategies) it's still a really good reason for a player who has NFL prospects (which is almost certain if Alabama offered you) to go play for Saban. It's a huge advantage to be part of the college -> NFL pipeline that Saban has established.
 

Tampa Jacket

Flats Noob
Joined
Dec 27, 2018
Messages
822
Alabama is “college” football only by name. They need to break off and go to form their own league with other schools who exist only to play football.
 

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
Joined
Jun 5, 2010
Messages
22,953
Alabama is “college” football only by name. They need to break off and go to form their own league with other schools who exist only to play football.
That would be most P5 schools. It's just that most of them don't do it as well as Bama.
 
Top