Sad state of affairs for GT students supporting our football team

BEESerk

Flats Noob
I have stated several times in various threads that a growing number of alumni do not really care about football. They wouldn't notice if we actually had a team or not. I don't like it, but that is reality.

I also have stated that having a Div. 1 football team has almost zero influence on kids coming to Ma Tech in this day and age.

This week I attended a meeting for a GT Club that revolves around a specific hobby of mine. It was the first meeting of the semester, and invloved alumni and students. I would estimate there were about 30 or 40 people in attendance, most of them being students.

At one point a survey was taken to see if anyone had a problem with scheduling club events the same day as a football game. Out of everyone there, only myself and another alumni raised their hand to protest scheduling events on game days.

Just sad, sad, sad. Hopefully winning and beating ugag will change all of this.

I am sad to hear this as well! On the other hand, GT Marketing and the AA needs to get off their duffs and get things happening in this area. I've said all along - GT needs more events connected to each home game that would not only get spirit going but participation from all fans and students!

So many Div. 1 schools have certains things happening the night before a home game that gets the community and school involved. Marketing needs to have on campus meetings with student groups to capture their attention and get them involved! Not only game day but other activities revolving around the football program.

Yes, winning is everything but these kinds of things should be going on anyway! Do they have anything to INDOCTRINATE the incoming freshmen class about GT football, game participation, football history, songs we sing, special shirts for them and their parents, giving them schedules, shakers ... A LEARNING SEMINAR so to speak and getting them pumped, etc!

How about a Football 101 class! This bothers me -our fan base NEEDS THE STUDENTS NO MATTER WHAT!

Originally posted by bobby dodds ghost:
Where were you, at a India Club meeting at the Student Center?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">lol.

In order to protect the innocent.. it doesn't really matter which one it was. However, it was NOT any "nerd" type club. That is why I found it so shocking.

The only club I can think of where this would make sense is an outdoors club. Considering the weekend are usually the best time to get out.

Beeserk...
my guess is you were at ORGT or Yellow Jacket Flying Club.

When I was in school those club members went to class and then went to their club meetings.
Couldn't have cared less for anything involved with campus.

Nice guess. I would say ORGT also assuming it isn't one of the nationality clubs.

Citing Norman Arey's efforts as pr director at TECH takes a lot of brass. Not a flame but I couldn't do it.

That being said the notion that GT needs to do something extra in the marketing dept. is dead on the money. I don't understand why they can't at least organize a committee (!?).

I agree that Tech could do more...like creating a more tail-gating friendly atmosphere (and yes I know that is a bit hard considering how scattered the parking is at Tech). That being said, please remember that Tech enjoys a very diverse student population. I would care to wager that at least 15-20% of the student population while I was there in the mid 80's were from nationalities other than the US of A. I had some very good friends from China who were big supporters of Tech (and still are, for that matter) but who just never caught onto the sport of American football.

However, I have an idea for marketing the games
smile.gif
How about we get all the prof's to agree to ALL put one 3-part question on their next test after a home game? That question would be:

EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION:
a) What was the score of Tech's last home game?
(10 points)
b) What seat were you sitting in?
(10 points)
c) Show me the ticket.
(30 points)

LOL...bet we'll get those calculators put up for at least a little while!
rolleyes.gif

What I would give to see the return
of some of the old football traditions
at GT.

i.e Freshman Rats

Let's face it when it comes to marketing
Georgia Tech athletics, we are light years
behind some of our rivals.

I know most of you folks don't care for Norman
Arey here on this board, but Norman did some
really good marketing work for GT.

The late Lewis Grizzard even labeled Norman