Sad story out of Clemson

Well I've got one hand in my pocket and the other is holding a cigarette.

would definitely be ironic if he died in a plane crash after refusing to fly for his whole damn life.

Verbal irony: "Ive been refusing to fly for fear of death all my life, but this time im totally cool with it because there is simply no way i am going to die..." (we actually know he is scared as hell and thinks he is going to die).

Irony of situation: being well-versed in the science of statistics, our protagonist who works as an actuary in the area of airline safety, calculates the odds of this one, short flight causing his death and realizes the odds are very very low. The lowest of any flight. He buys a ticket. He dies.

Dramatic irony: Johnny Ironic finally has decided to overcome his fear of flying. Little does he know (as we, the listener/reader/viewer do) that this flight to Cyprus he has booked has been targeted by Cyptomcat as his vengeful statement to his Greek overlords

Verbal irony: "Ive been refusing to fly for fear of death all my life, but this time im totally cool with it because there is simply no way i am going to die..." (we actually know he is scared as hell and thinks he is going to die).

Irony of situation: being well-versed in the science of statistics, our protagonist who works as an actuary in the area of airline safety, calculates the odds of this one, short flight causing his death and realizes the odds are very very low. The lowest of any flight. He buys a ticket. He dies.

Dramatic irony: Johnny Ironic finally has decided to overcome his fear of flying. Little does he know (as we, the listener/reader/viewer do) that this flight to Cyprus he has booked has been targeted by Cyptomcat as his vengeful statement to his Greek overlords
What kind of irony is not getting a joke about the definition of irony?

Back