Scheme Vs Players - Call in Show

He was just trying to downplay the Richt vs. Johnson narrative. Just like he downplays the "special preparations for individual player X" narrative. If you would've asked him "What are you doing to prepare for Barrios (or whoever)?", he would've said "we prepare for the scheme".

Johnson doesn't game plan for individual players and he doesn't game plan for particular coaches. He game plans for schemes and teams.
Pretty much.

Outside of Urban Myer, CPJ at Tech has probably averaged more total yards of offense against Richt than any other coach who played uga annually.
So, as a long time lurker I thought I would contribute...finally, because this got me wondering. And actually, looking at years 2008-2015 (years Johnson faced Richt at U<sic>GA) , Meyer is not the coach with most average total yards, he is third with 399 . Botch Jones is actually 1st with a 441 and Johnson second with 412.

Taking each of the coaches I could think of with annual games against the dwags that probably had good average total yards (FL, UA, SC, TN) I came up with this average total yards against Richt breakdown:
(all from https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/)
2008-2010 vs Richt
Meyer (FL) 399
Johnson 427
2011-2014 vs Richt
Muschamp (FL) 314
Johnson 435
2009-2012 vs Richt
Chizik (AU) 312
Johnson 409
2013-2015 vs Richt
Malzahn (AU) 378
Johnson 411
2008-2014 vs Richt
Spurrier (SC) 394
Johnson 431
2010-2012 vs Richt
Dooley (UT) 339
Johnson 431
2013-2015 vs Richt
Jones (UT) 441
Johnson 411
I did not include the following coaches for an average because they only had one game vs Richt in the sample years:
Fullmer (UT) 209
Tuberville UA) 303
Johnson 428

Kiffin 472
Johnson 340

Muschamp (SC) 258
McElwain (FL) 413
Johnson 276

Average total yards of offense by school 2008-2015 vs Richt
GT 412
FL 375
TN 365
UA 331
SC 326

I don't feel like reading all the words above me. Can someone just summarize, is it the players or the scheme? Need to know by tonight please.

So, as a long time lurker I thought I would contribute...finally, because this got me wondering. And actually, looking at years 2008-2015 (years Johnson faced Richt at U<sic>GA) , Meyer is not the coach with most average total yards, he is third with 399 . Botch Jones is actually 1st with a 441 and Johnson second with 412.
Thank you for your research. This will come in handy next time a Dawg fan points out they've beaten us 20 of the last 26 times we've played.

Seriously, it is interesting to see that we've played relatively well in a lot of these games, but the dropped balls, bad calls, missed kicks, turnovers, etc., seem to always go against us. Seem to.

Thank you for your research. This will come in handy next time a Dawg fan points out they've beaten us 20 of the last 26 times we've played.

Seriously, it is interesting to see that we've played relatively well in a lot of these games, but the dropped balls, bad calls, missed kicks, turnovers, etc., seem to always go against us. Seem to.

A lot of it is defense. Our defense was phenomenally bad under groh (10-11 + 1/2) and has taken time for roof to get something resembling a defensive unit.

It's the player that schemes
Schemers trying to control their little worlds...

TDK-Joker-the-joker-11329754-500-209.jpg

A lot of it is defense. Our defense was phenomenally bad under groh (10-11 + 1/2) and has taken time for roof to get something resembling a defensive unit.
And Wommack

I once went to a Mike Singletary speech. He said that most of his video time was looking at the opposing players on an offense to figure out who is going to cheat and give away the play and which lineman is going to tire first and should be pounded the most all game. I'm sure CPJ does the same thing on offense.

I once went to a Mike Singletary speech. He said that most of his video time was looking at the opposing players on an offense to figure out who is going to cheat and give away the play and which lineman is going to tire first and should be pounded the most all game. I'm sure CPJ does the same thing on offense.
Nope. We just look for the weakest knees.

Back