Scholarship limit now 105

this seems to favor schools with more money ?

This was discussed in another thread earlier today. The basic thought is that it shouldn't help the deep pocket teams all that much because players don't want to be in the bottom half of that 105 at Bama if they can be in the top half at Georgia Tech. IE, nobody wants to sit the bench.

This will help GT way more than the power schools. One of our biggest issues is depth. Now, can bring in a lot more 3 star flyers along the lines who would never see the 3 deep at UGA or Bama. This is very good for us. And it opens more spots to take portal guys who are stuck on depth charts elsewhere. It will have zero effect on teams already stacked with 4 and 5 stars. Now, I just hope we use these spots for OLine and DLine instead of carrying 10 TE’s and 25 DB’s.

This will help GT way more than the power schools. One of our biggest issues is depth. Now, can bring in a lot more 3 star flyers along the lines who would never see the 3 deep at UGA or Bama. This is very good for us. And it opens more spots to take portal guys who are stuck on depth charts elsewhere. It will have zero effect on teams already stacked with 4 and 5 stars. Now, I just hope we use these spots for OLine and DLine instead of carrying 10 TE’s and 25 DB’s.

You forget NIL has no salary cap.

You forget NIL has no salary cap.
This is true, and no one will be highly successful without ponying up the $$$, but I think the view is that the portal can be some sort of equalizer because, theoretically speaking, if you will spend the money, there are lots of people to which you can offer something else of value (especially if the money is the same) and that is playing time.

Bobby Dodd right now:
lee-corso-not-so-fast.gif

this seems to favor schools with more money ?
I’ll re-post what I mentioned in the other thread below. This is actually worst case news for the G5, who were going to end up with more high level 3* players than ever before. This will probably cut down on those numbers.

SA’s aren’t going to go to a school just to be #100 on a roster vs getting a chance to play elsewhere. The Portal minus the SA’s pushed into the Portal is evidence of that.

Some of you need to listen to CBK’s interview on Sirius/XM from Monday. He actually truly believes the new world of CFB is an advantage to GT vs pre-2021. The buy-in by Cabrera and J-Batt is there, combined with what GT as a school brings to the table he feels gives GT a recruiting edge they didn’t previously have.

You guys are wrong that guys would rather be the 50th spot at GT versus 100 at UGA. There is plenty of evidence in the recent past with Bama having multiple 5 stars at positions.

In the recent past there were 2 or 3 players that likely start at GT that went to UGA and sat on the bench for 4 years. Getting minimal playing time to make that family happy.

This is awful for all kinds of reasons, primarily it will allowed the big programs to stock pile even more talent.

It is definitely a change that will have a material impact. Assuming every P4 program bumps their scholarships to the full 105 limit, a scholarship will be a given for each player.

This will be great news for special teams. Think of all those kickers, punters and long snappers who will get a scholarship on day one.

But what about the walk-ons? Without a higher limit for camp or the sanctioning of a practice squad I don’t believe they exist anymore.

I’ll re-post what I mentioned in the other thread below. This is actually worst case news for the G5, who were going to end up with more high level 3* players than ever before. This will probably cut down on those numbers.

SA’s aren’t going to go to a school just to be #100 on a roster vs getting a chance to play elsewhere. The Portal minus the SA’s pushed into the Portal is evidence of that.

Some of you need to listen to CBK’s interview on Sirius/XM from Monday. He actually truly believes the new world of CFB is an advantage to GT vs pre-2021. The buy-in by Cabrera and J-Batt is there, combined with what GT as a school brings to the table he feels gives GT a recruiting edge they didn’t previously have.
I think you will find this isn’t going to be all or nothing. Many of those third or whatever string guys can’t be convinced they shouldn’t be the starter.

Also, CBK is in a position where he needs to sell positively, regardless if there are 85 or 105. He has to build this program and giving negatives at the ACC meeting on scholarship limits isn’t going to help his cause.

I think you will find this isn’t going to be all or nothing. Many of those third or whatever string guys can’t be convinced they shouldn’t be the starter.

Also, CBK is in a position where he needs to sell positively, regardless if there are 85 or 105. He has to build this program and giving negatives at the ACC meeting on scholarship limits isn’t going to help his cause.
You’re also forgetting the Alabama’s, tOSU’s etc will just process #85-#105 to the Portal for a G5 teams #1-5 player who has proven it on the filed. The SA’s aren’t going to be able to just sit and in the minds of coaches waste a scholarship for 4-5 years when they can bring in someone else they feel can make an impact.

You’re also forgetting the Alabama’s, tOSU’s etc will just process #85-#105 to the Portal for a G5 #1 player.
And you are forgetting ugag will offer scholarships to players they don’t even want to keep them away from GT.

And you are forgetting ugag will offer scholarships to players they don’t even want to keep them away from GT.
That is a very few and far between scenario at this point. Let’s live in reality for a minute here and look at the real landscape of things. Players will come and go whether on their own or “encouraged” to go into the Portal annually. They would just go to GT for example the next year.

Look at Dante Moore and his 1 year at UCLA. He’s now at his original destination of Oregon just 1 year later. With no transfer restrictions, it no longer matters where a SA starts their eligibility.

That is a very few and far between scenario at this point. Let’s live in reality for a minute here and look at the real landscape of things. Players will come and go whether on their own or “encouraged” to go into the Portal annually. They would just go to GT for example the next year.

Look at Dante Moore and his 1 year at UCLA. He’s now at his original destination of Oregon just 1 year later. With no transfer restrictions, it no longer matters where a SA starts their eligibility.
They might go to GT or they might go to Ole Miss or anywhere else. It can give GT more chances and I agreed with that. I simply said not all SA minds are in the same direction.
There are many who won’t be convinced they shouldn’t be starting. Coaches will find ways to use them accordingly. Doesn’t mean they are going to end up at GT. Doesn’t mean they will be forced to the portal either.

GT has more 4 stars on its roster since the portal started than ever in our history. If you don’t see that as a positive for GT then I don’t know what to say. The portal and NIL are the best things that could have ever happened to a mid level program. Now, it’s up to those in charge to use these tools unlike our previous regimes who never used the tools of the day to improve.

You guys are wrong that guys would rather be the 50th spot at GT versus 100 at UGA. There is plenty of evidence in the recent past with Bama having multiple 5 stars at positions.

In the recent past there were 2 or 3 players that likely start at GT that went to UGA and sat on the bench for 4 years. Getting minimal playing time to make that family happy.

This is awful for all kinds of reasons, primarily it will allowed the big programs to stock pile even more talent.

How does averaging about five 5-stars per year work out to "multiple 5 stars at positions"? How many is "multiple" and which "positions"? Even assuming a redshirt year that's 25 on a roster covering 22 positions.

2008-2021:
"Alabama has done an outstanding job on the recruiting trail ever since Nick Saban took over the head coaching gig back in 2007. In the last 14 cycles, the Crimson Tide has signed an eye-popping 57 five-star recruits."

Recent update:
"Saban landed four more five-star talents in 2020 including quarterback Bryce Young and linebacker Will Anderson Jr., seven in 2021, three last year, and has four five-star commitments for the top-rated Class of 2023. He's in the running for more... Overall, Alabama's still averaging approximately four five-star additions per year, and Saban doesn't appear close to slowing down in any respect. "

Back