Scholarship limit now 105

You don't need 105 guys to field a football team. That's stupid
We got 120. Quick count may be off 1 or 2.

If you want to keep kids fresh and field a scout team worth a damn you do need to keep that many.

Capping the roster at 105 öööös on a walk on program.

This has to spell the death of the Blue Chip Ratio

name of the game now is money. would not surprise me if alabama #105 NIL deal > G5 #1 NIL deal. if your not NFL talent, college is your one pay day. think i'd rather be 4th string at bama and get paid vs starting at a G5.

I don't think the expansion of the roster is about NIL. It's more about the problem the major programs are having with processing players after each successive recruiting cycle. They are having to let players go that they haven't had a chance to fully vet. It's one thing to let a player go when they have eligibility but they already graduated. It's another to move a 4 star rising soph because you just brought in a 5 star who is only a year younger.

So if football is getting 20 extra schollies, is there a Title IX balance that has to come into the equation?

So if football is getting 20 extra schollies, is there a Title IX balance that has to come into the equation?
From the article.
Baseball will also see a massive increase in scholarship / roster size, going from 11.7 scholarship slots to 34. Basketball will increase from 13 to 15. Softball will increase from 12 to 25, while volleyball will increase from 12 to 18.

You’re also forgetting the Alabama’s, tOSU’s etc will just process #85-#105 to the Portal for a G5 teams #1-5 player who has proven it on the filed. The SA’s aren’t going to be able to just sit and in the minds of coaches waste a scholarship for 4-5 years when they can bring in someone else they feel can make an impact.
This-is-truth.

From the article.
Baseball will also see a massive increase in scholarship / roster size, going from 11.7 scholarship slots to 34. Basketball will increase from 13 to 15. Softball will increase from 12 to 25, while volleyball will increase from 12 to 18.
Baseball will be interesting. With the increase in scholarships and NIL it could get a lot more competitive quickly. 4 years on scholarship with a little side money might beat the minor league grind.

N-I-L aside, it's kinda back to the future.... not that far off from full rides with partials ("room & board," e.g.) available for walk-ons, NOT PWOs., that existed until the 85 limit was set sometime around 1980.

I got "room & board" my last 9 quarters, augmented with an Advanced NROTC monthly stipend of $100/month. This was probably not too far off what it'd be with today's "room & board" augmented by the HOPE Scholly. TBH, if the HOPE Scholly had been available in my era, I'd have lasted maybe two quarters, but that's a punch line for another day.:coolugh:

Making everything "equivalents" vice "head count" should actually help with any Title IX (as originally enacted) issues in terms of non-NIL $$$ distributions.

And just how many full-ride FB schollies did Carson max out at? 165, yes 1-6-5 is the number that comes to mind, which is why it was a struggle to bust your hump, letter twice & play in a couple of bowl games when full rides weren't even dressing out for games ever in their "careers."! HARUMPH! HARUMPH! HARUMPH!

Do you think this will create an increase in the total number of games? Could be the beginning.

The title IX question is an interesting. If football uses all 105 scholarships do we have to field a women's soccer team with 20 scholarship players? Or find 20 additional women in other sports to give scholarships to?

This was discussed in another thread earlier today. The basic thought is that it shouldn't help the deep pocket teams all that much because players don't want to be in the bottom half of that 105 at Bama if they can be in the top half at Georgia Tech. IE, nobody wants to sit the bench.

Nobody believes to they'll be in the bottom half when saban offered them a grayshirt

The title IX question is an interesting. If football uses all 105 scholarships do we have to field a women's soccer team with 20 scholarship players? Or find 20 additional women in other sports to give scholarships to?
I believe it is somewhat proportional to your student body; so GT doesn’t need a true 1:1 male/female scholarship ratio, it’s more like a 3:2 I think for GT.

For GT the biggest problem is that you’re adding costs without adding revenue. The larger programs are less likely to have the same cost concerns.

From a CFB perspective it probably makes it harder for us to recruit out of HS; and opens up the door for us to take more experience transfers.

That’s a lot of scholarships for persons born with a penis.
Kind of a crazy number. How many guys even play in a given season now? Like 60-65? So you may have 50 on scholarship and not playing?

Why would you need 48 lacrosse players? Or 50 female equestieaners?

This is just going to throw a ton more fuel on the transfer portal. Being #104 at Bama sounds good until you are there for 2 years and are still buried on the depth chart. Schools like Bama are still going to take 30-35 new players a year and will just continue to process those that aren't panning out. This just gives them even more wiggle room

Kind of a crazy number. How many guys even play in a given season now? Like 60-65? So you may have 50 on scholarship and not playing?

Why would you need 48 lacrosse players? Or 50 female equestieaners?
65 female rugby scholarships. Yikes thats a lot of big bitches

Back