Scott Kennady

getwrecked

Flats Noob
Hmmmmmm.....

I guess this is one of the things that makes message boards appear to have split personalities and even hypocritical. We have people continually saying we are a family and we must stick together (look at the support Joe H has received). OTOH, we have people saying that it shouldn't bother a recruit if his "family" is trashing him. It is probably some of the same people.

Some of you want the recruits/players to ignore the criticism, but you want them to wallow in the adoration. Why should the cheering and clapping be taken any more seriously than the trashing? They are two sides of the same coin and have the same value. They are either important or they are not.

And I would ask you, if you are deciding who you want to associate with for the next four years and (whether you like it or not) how you will be judged, would you want to associate with negative, critical insensitive blowhards, or would you rather associate with realistic, generally positive reasonable fans.

JMHO.

TechGator1066

Dodd-Like
Recruits probably do look at various message boards, but I highly doubt that it is a major factor into their decisions.

I-Wrecken

Varsity Lurker
He ALSO said players and parents don't want to read how great the program is - when it's not.

They are not dumb and they can see how the team plays on Saturdays.

I've always said, the 'truth shall prevail' even when Chan was here!:wow:

GT Adamni

Flats Noob
I would love to see Scott Kennedy have the balls to post his resume. He never played football and is just another fan who thinks he can evaluate talent. Liek most of the other idiot recruitniks who saw a dollar in the market.
Is it a requirement that he played football before? I sure hope not considering our HFC never played beyond high school.

Stick

Flats Noob
I highly doubt that it is a major factor into their decisions.
Major, minor, passing glance--why take the risk of putting something in a public forum that might possibly make any kind of negative impression on a recruit?

The answer to that question: because many posters believe that their need to vent supersedes any need to be circumspect.

And why is it that the Buzzoffers, like I-Wrecken, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS need to equate posting in a respectful manner to blowing sunshine up a recruit's ass? Is there no gray area in between those two things?

In case you haven't figured it out, I think Kennedy is wrong about this, and I don't think his opinion carries any more weight than mine on this matter.

dressedcheeseside

Dodd-Like
I think the point SK was trying to make is that all school boards have similar sets of posters. They all have the disgruntled/fire the coach fans, the every thing is rosey fans and all fans in between. Because of this, what fans say on boards has little effect on recruiting.

When discussing recruits/commits, I believe that there's no reason to temp fate. Why bash a recruit when there's the slimmest of chances he'll be personally offended and change his mind?

getwrecked

Flats Noob
He ALSO said players and parents don't want to read how great the program is - when it's not.

They are not dumb and they can see how the team plays on Saturdays.

I've always said, the 'truth shall prevail' even when Chan was here!:wow:
I'm sure you are right and I don't want to see unrealistic "blow smoke up your butt" posts either. If you can't see your problems, you have a pretty slim chance of fixing them. I think it's fine to be critical, in fact, it's important to be critical. But it needs to be done in a constructive, unemotional, reasoned way; not a destructive, emotional, vindictive rant.

That's my main point. JMHO, of course.

yellowphysics

Jolly Good Fellow
Re: Hmmmmmm.....

Some of you want the recruits/players to ignore the criticism, but you want them to wallow in the adoration. Why should the cheering and clapping be taken any more seriously than the trashing? They are two sides of the same coin and have the same value. They are either important or they are not.

55,000 people does not equal the 100 or so on the internet message boards. These boards aren't really representative of the fan base as a whole. If you want proof, just look at how the three boards vary.