Seatle Bowl may be cancelled

Good. I wish about 12 others would fold also, depriving these floundering 6-6 programs of pretenses of being good. Most of these games are like Vince Lombardi said anyway "there are games for those who finish second and they are losers, played by losers and will always be for losers." Seems to apply well to college football's annual fiasco.

The most 'telling' line in the article is that the Pac 10 cancelled their deal with the Seattle Bowl due to geography.
If the Pac 10 doesn't even want to travel to Seattle, what should that say about the ACC??

And besides, If we played that badly after two weeks of preparation for UGAG, just imagine how bad it might be if this staff has 4 weeks to prepare.

Maybe this bowl's demise will be the impetus for a mercy ending of this season.....a season that was completely squandered for no good reason.

Show me the money!!! I was wondering this morning what was the holdup on our getting the invitation (not that we deserve a bowl bid).

I agree with FW that about a dozen of these bowls need to go out of existence, the sooner the better. I would however hate for the one that we are pegged for to fold first.

Maybe this will be a good lesson for players and coaches that mediocrity won't cut it going forward. Instead of aiming for the worst we can play and still get a bid we should put games away that are winnable (WF and FSU) and make the choice obvious.

I posted game week that Lou Holtz had it right - to heck with these half ass bowl games, get ready for your rival. I felt complacency all week - days off - I guess Duke beat us up - all capped by that 51-7 fiasco permanantly written into the book. This team in a bowl game? What a joke. I guess Seattle thinks so too.

I wonder if some of you are even fans of GT.

Why would a fan NOT want to see their favorite team play another game staring at 9 months of NO MORE GT FOOTBALL?

If you can't stand it anymore then why are you here on the football board?

Just out of curiosity, would Wake not get the ultimate shaft from this? Conference rules dictate that a 6-6 team cannot be picked ahead of a 7-5 team. Therefore, Wake would not get any bowl (I am assuming that Wake was getting an at-large bid somewhere) and the conference would find an unfilled at-large bid for GT. Am I wrong on this?

BeeWare, I agree, we have squandered this year just like last year's team that was predicted to be a top ten team (2001:7-5)(2002:7-5). Pitiful, isn't it?

Kirbee, is this the football board? Gee, I thought it was the basketball board, "O Heck", somebody switched the board positions!

SuperToe, the seniors have already gotten their dues in the Georgia game.

To several posters, "why mar the record we recaptured this past year?", of having the best winning percentage in bowl games. I had rather roll up the grass for this year and start anew next year. We did not earn a bowl game.

rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
The most 'telling' line in the article is that the Pac 10 cancelled their deal with the Seattle Bowl due to geography.
If the Pac 10 doesn't even want to travel to Seattle, what should that say about the ACC??

And besides, If we played that badly after two weeks of preparation for UGAG, just imagine how bad it might be if this staff has 4 weeks to prepare.

Maybe this bowl's demise will be the impetus for a mercy ending of this season.....a season that was completely squandered for no good reason.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You know if we had not had the week off I think we would have done better. Somehow with all that time to ponder it we came in thinking we would easily be able to smack them around. Probably would have been better to come in a little unsure of what to expect and just knowing we had to get after it and see what happens...

Originally posted by kirbee:
I wonder if some of you are even fans of GT.

Why would a fan NOT want to see their favorite team play another game staring at 9 months of NO MORE GT FOOTBALL?

If you can't stand it anymore then why are you here on the football board?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">This isn't about being a fan. This is about the silliness of the postseason bowl schedule. There are nine teams in the ACC. Apparently, we're trying to get seven of those nine teams into a bowl game. What sort of reward is it to play mediocre football and get into a bowl game? Bowls like the Seattle Bowl don't make money for schools. Sometimes, you end up losing money by sending your team out to the middle of nowhere to play a noname bowl. They have no prestige, no history, no nothing. It's just a bunch of fluff tagged onto the postseason schedule. They don't need to be there. What other type of postseason system in sports at any level rewards mediocrity like NCAA Division IA football?

Nobody cares about the Seattle Bowl, not even the natives. For crying out loud, they didn't even have a football field to play on last season.

If you want to reward mediocrity, go right ahead. However, there are at-large teams that deserve to be in a bowl game more than GT. I'm not going to let my loyalties blind me from what's obviously a broken postseason system where the conferences with the most money can afford to buy tie-ins with a half-dozen bowls as long as there are enough eligible teams.

A reasonable end to a pathetic attempt at making something out of nothing.I don't know about Oregon but Tech needs to get ready for next season.

It's a sad day when the historic Seattle Bowl, with all it's past glory and legend, may have to fold due to lack of funding!!!! It's a SAD, SAD, day!!!!!
BOO

Originally posted by AlaGold:
A reasonable end to a pathetic attempt at making something out of nothing.I don't know about Oregon but Tech needs to get ready for next season.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">If we get invited to a bowl, GT should prepare like it's the first game of next season.

Give the seniors their due by letting those who have been starting finish their careers as starters, but make sure their backups get plenty of playing time.

Reopen competition for the other starting positions, especially for players returning next year.

Most importantly, use the time to build some fire in the underclassmen and get them ready to play NEXT year.

The first step to a winning season next year will be to play well -- and to win -- a bowl game.

Thunder posted: What other type of postseason system in sports at any level rewards mediocrity like NCAA Division IA football?

The NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB

I think that at this time with our team and staff in total disarray it would be to our advantage to
skip any bowl game that may be offered and spend this time assessing where the cancer is and trying to get a prognosis. The treatment could be painful but the athletic officials should first identify what the problems are. I could easily give a pass to the staff if we had otherwise played well all season and the coaching decisions
had been generally logical but there have been some very bizarre things and calls throughout the
season. Sure I would like for the season to be extended under ordinary circumstances but I don't have the stomach to watch another embarrassment
on TV until at least some of the problems are addressed.

Originally posted by OfficiallyBuzz:
Thunder posted: What other type of postseason system in sports at any level rewards mediocrity like NCAA Division IA football?

The NBA, NHL, NFL, MLB
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The NBA, NHL, and MLB all play a multigame playoff series. The NFL is a single elimination playoff. If you just happen to get lucky once, it's not very likely to happen again. If you win an entire series, you've got a tougher opponent ahead until you're the only one left standing or you get knocked out. That's hardly a reward for mediocrity to me. If you're mediocre, you lose or you don't even make the playoffs.

More importantly, in none of those professional sports do you see 77% of a conference qualify for the postseason.

Originally posted by Thunder:
More importantly, in none of those professional sports do you see 77% of a conference qualify for the postseason.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">It's quite possible 75% of the NFC South will go to the playoffs this year.

Back