SEC changing schedule model

jts1207

Memes posted are not fact checked for accuracy

As it stands now with the East and West divisions and permanent cross-division opponents, Tennessee gets the privilege of having its teeth kicked in by Alabama every year while Georgia and Florida only have to see the Tide once every five or six years.

Do it!

gtrower

Dodd-Like
We don’t highlight our schedule enough. uga sells “SEC competition” when we’re the ones with the tougher schedule every year.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like

As it stands now with the East and West divisions and permanent cross-division opponents, Tennessee gets the privilege of having its teeth kicked in by Alabama every year while Georgia and Florida only have to see the Tide once every five or six years.

Do it!
Why is this any different than our playing Clemson every year? Permanent cross-division opponents should be eliminated in the ACC.

18in32

Petard Hoister
Why is this any different than our playing Clemson every year? Permanent cross-division opponents should be eliminated in the ACC.
Disagree. They're gradually taking away most of the things I liked most about college football – like regional rivalries. The last thing I want is to replace Clemson on our schedule with Syracuse or BC or the like. We used to beat Clemson, and we'll do it again. And we'll be beating neighbors who actually care about football instead of some NE school that doesn't.

ClubSeats

Well-meaning elderly man with a poor memory
Disagree. They're gradually taking away most of the things I liked most about college football – like regional rivalries. The last thing I want is to replace Clemson on our schedule with Syracuse or BC or the like. We used to beat Clemson, and we'll do it again. And we'll be beating neighbors who actually care about football instead of some NE school that doesn't.
This. The bad blood at the end of the Pitt game last year led some to suggest it was a budding rivalry. Two schools with a football tradition dating back decades located in urban markets. But here’s the problem: I don’t even think I’ve ever met a single Pitt alum. Rivalries don’t work when the fan bases don’t interact.

GT flunkout

held in very high esteem
Staff member
The SEC and ACC are the only P5 conferences that have stuck with an 8 game schedule, likely due to all the permanent OOC instate rivalries in FL, GA, SC and KY. That leaves a lot of other teams with a lot of extra cupcake games that add relatively little value.

I would almost guarantee the SEC is simply just going to add an extra conference game while leaving their divisional and permanent crossovers intact.

Which is fine. I'm over the crying about unbalanced schedules with permanent cross-division opponents. Tennessee wasn't complaining about playing Alabama when they were kicking their teeth in for years before Saban. Same thing in the late 90s-2000s when we were 10-4 vs. South Carolina Poly.

The ACC has decided to do this weird dance with Notre Dame and it's really not clear what the endgame is with that. That weird arrangement is likely going to keep us from any kind of expansion from eight games to match the other P5 leagues.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
This. The bad blood at the end of the Pitt game last year led some to suggest it was a budding rivalry. Two schools with a football tradition dating back decades located in urban markets. But here’s the problem: I don’t even think I’ve ever met a single Pitt alum. Rivalries don’t work when the fan bases don’t interact.
I know a couple who are Pitt alums. They are Penn State fans

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
I’ve already done this with the ACC on how you play every team on a two year cycle.

SEC would be easy enough. There is no way around someone getting smashed by AL every year. I assume that every team wants some visibility in TX and FL every year.

A1-UF, UGa, USC, Ky
A2-AL, AU, UT, VU
B1-TAM, Ark, Miz
B2-MSU, Ole Miss, LSU

Even years
A1+B1 is a division.
A2+B2 is a division.
Odd years
A1+B2 division
A2+B1 division

A1 plays 2 of A2 every year
B1 plays 2 of B2 every year

You can mix the teams so you get your permanent rivals, but some games will become every other year rivals.

Out of division games can count or not.

AL/AU will permanently be opposite UGa/UF. so you will probably always have a strong championship game. ATM and LSU will always be opposite also.

———
ACC in this schedule
A1-all NC schools
A2-Clem, FSU,GT,Miami
B1-VT, Uva, Lou
B2-BC, Pitt, Cuse

Acc is harder because you probably have to keep nc schools together which makes a week division.

Last edited:

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Not sure what I think about some of the discussion. Nobody should be complaining that we play Clemson every year. As we improve, that game will be better and attract more and more attention. I mean does anybody honestly want an SoS in the 80s?

At some point, I hope its Clemson complaining about having to play us every year instead of us doing that complaining.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I live 4 hours from Pitt and I don't know anyone from Pitt.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
As long as they don’t change their signing day models.

RamblinWreck27

Jolly Good Fellow
I personally love playing Clemson every year and would be sad to lose them, just got to close that talent gap... To me the schedules and conference of the late 90s were perfect, Regional rivalries with away games you could day trip to if you really wanted to go. If I had my way we play Florida state, all the Carolina schools and all the Virginia schools every year. But I understand the desire to expand the conference, I just don’t pretend to care about playing Boston College Syracuse Pitt etc... then again, just win baby.