Secondary, where is the ball?

Tampa Jacket

Helluva Engineer
UCF has WRs that can play with OSU, Bama, Clemson, Georgia or any defense.

From a CB/S standpoint I can understand getting burned by superb speed and size in an open field. But inside the Red Zone we have legs talent and bodies that were absolutely in position in the end zones to make plays but they gave up catches for TDs.

We can’t do that.
If you’re man-to-man in the EZ you have to either make a play on the ball, or if you can’t find the ball, you have to pull the arms of the WR or push his body OOB. Take the penalty. But don’t give up the catch for a TD.

Last edited:
You're giving them too much credit here

UCF has WRs that can play with OSU, Bama, Clemson, Georgia or any defense.

From a CB/S standpoint I can understand getting burned by superb speed and size in an open field. But inside the Red Zone we have legs talent and bodies that were absolutely in position in the end zones to make plays but they gave up catches for TDs.

We can’t do that.
If you’re man-to-man in the EZ you have to either make a play on the ball, or if you can’t find the ball, you have to pull the arms of the WR or push his body OOB. Take the penalty. But don’t give up the catch for a TD.
I'm not sufficiently expert to be able to say how much (or not) our secondary screwed up.

But I am sufficiently expert to recognize that UCF's QB is really, really good. He made some fantastic passes. He and his WR's were on the same wavelength.

Have to go up and get your hands involved and battle the ball. Does no good to just chase the receivers. We were in great position all day to contend the throws but did not. It can be coached though and these DBs are young. So there's that!

Have to go up and get your hands involved and battle the ball. Does no good to just chase the receivers. We were in great position all day to contend the throws but did not. It can be coached though and these DBs are young. So there's that!
Should have just grabbed jerseys like UCF's secondary. They obviously knew you can go much further grabbing the WR because of subpar refs. We played like PI would be called. They played knowing the call would be rare and the reward outweighed the risk.
Same with the OL. The holding call on them was almost laughable. Nothing that wasn't happening all game.

It’s hard to tell at this point, but I think UCF was pretty damn good. At some point I think we decided that blitzing and trying to disrupt their rhythm was our best shot at success, and it put our DBs on islands. They got beat repeatedly by perfect pass after perfect pass from the QB, and I’m not sure how much there is to do about that. Just like we've been saying for 12 years, we gotta figure out how to generate a consistent pass rush if we want to slow down teams like that.

It’s hard to tell at this point, but I think UCF was pretty damn good. At some point I think we decided that blitzing and trying to disrupt their rhythm was our best shot at success, and it put our DBs on islands. They got beat repeatedly by perfect pass after perfect pass from the QB, and I’m not sure how much there is to do about that. Just like we've been saying for 12 years, we gotta figure out how to generate a consistent pass rush if we want to slow down teams like that.
Our best pass rusher from last week being out didn't help much

Should have just grabbed jerseys like UCF's secondary. They obviously knew you can go much further grabbing the WR because of subpar refs. We played like PI would be called. They played knowing the call would be rare and the reward outweighed the risk.
Same with the OL. The holding call on them was almost laughable. Nothing that wasn't happening all game.

yep, when you get beat deep --GRAB.Give up the 15 yds.BAD coaching. They had 3 passes for over 40 yds.-hmmmm

yep, when you get beat deep --GRAB.Give up the 15 yds.BAD coaching. They had 3 passes for over 40 yds.-hmmmm
And ran the same play 2x iar in the 4th. Barely overthrown first time. On the money next play

I'm not sufficiently expert to be able to say how much (or not) our secondary screwed up.

But I am sufficiently expert to recognize that UCF's QB is really, really good. He made some fantastic passes. He and his WR's were on the same wavelength.
He wouldn’t be nearly as “good” if his OL were made to play by the rules.

He wouldn’t be nearly as “good” if his OL were made to play by the rules.
It is obviously a part of AAC football to make the teams look good in the passing game. Allow holds to protect the QB's and let them throw. What would have been a flag in the Alabama/LSU game is overlooked playing backyard football.

Main thing is the refs are consistently letting holds/PI happen then you have adjust your game to take advantage of it. Their QB is impressive to me, he was extremely accurate.

The secondary was really tested. I felt Walker got picked on a little bit. I wonder if he really has the speed and change of direction to cover in space. He may be more of a safety.

Some of the passes were dimes. Credit for that. He dropped some back shoulders that were beautiful. Also WRs made some tough catches. That’s a hard offense to defend for 60 mins.

Back