See, GT can recruit the state of Ga (HOT100)

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech did quite a good job of recruiting Georgia to get players for '04. Of the 11 Ga recruits, 9 were in the Hot 100 with a 10th, K Kyle Belcher not listed because kickers aren't (even the supergood K from Augusta that Maryland 'shipped wasn't listed). Out of these 11 only 1 is a true sleeper, TE Jon Morrison (Marietta), but with a 2 TE system GT employs a lot a developing TE was essential (note Mike Matthews switch to TE).
Tech's staff just did a good job in Ga last season & if you look at the players we wanted, tried for & barely missed on, you'd have the makings of a Top 15 nationally ranked recruiting class. The main wants & misses were DE Brandon Miller, RB Darius Walker, OT Jeremy Ciulla, WR Greg Suddereth & LB Jae Thaxton (who we plain out got in on too late with the Gailey in-home visit being the week before signing day).
The hogwash we were given the past 2 yrs about GT couldn't recruit the state because of grades, etc, was just that, hogwash . GT's football staff just did a lousy job recruiting Ga. Now it appears that our staff is much, much more in tune with the Ga players we want & should be able to reap the Ga benefits on a regular basis now. I'm very happy about this tune of events.

Who got the HOT 100 in Georgia

Agree the staff did a better job. You assessment that about being able to recruit Ga due to grades is only opinion. You haven't presented any evidence for your assertion. What were the grades of the guys we didnt' recruit? What were the grades of the guys we didn't recruit last year? You can't just say we got 11 from GA therefore we can recruit anybody we want. It's about each kid's academic performance.

[ QUOTE ]
The hogwash we were given the past 2 yrs about GT couldn't recruit the state because of grades, etc, was just that, hogwash .

[/ QUOTE ]

Saying hogwash that our coaches could've recruited any and everyone in the state and presuming that more than 50% of those recruits could survive academically at Tech is just that, HOGWASH!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bash.gif

Hell from reading that article it looks like UGAg

got the pick of the litter again until they ran out of schollies. At least we made a fair showing this year.

Your post only holds water if you assume that....

That all 100 are equal. In reality the Top 100 is top heavy. It's no where remotely similar to a flat line.

There is a big drop off around 10-15 and another after Top 30 or so in talent.

If we're not getting 5 or so Top 20, we're just getting left overs down the chart.

This list is more discouraging to me than anything else.

AND...if Calvin goes to Pro baseball this class has serious question marks.

Whoa, hold your horses

I'm giving a compliment here that GT appears to be in on many more Ga players, in many more High Schools, in varied classifications, in many more regions, than we've been on since 2001. Apparently, our staff has a much better repoire with the Ga HS coaches than they've had. This is all very good & positive things as Ga is the 4th highest recruited state in the country.
I'm also giving a backhanded slap that we could've done better recruiting Ga the 2 previous yrs than we did. Rather than saying 'we can do better' our Athletic Department, through our AD & HC, chose to tell us 'we just can't recruit the state as there's not many qualified Ga students'. I believe the latter statement to be 'hogwash' as I just don't believe the qualification level of Ga students jumped so high in 1 yr that GT went from 'can't recruit the state' to bringing in 11 recruits, barely missing on many more we wanted & still having several others on our backup lists in case we missed any of the 11 we got. Ga's qualification rate did not jump this dramatically in 1 yr!
This is not a bad thing, in itself, as our staff evidently learned to recruit much better in state. I see this improvement accelerating. Does anybody disagree?

Re: Whoa, hold your horses

Don't forget that it takes time for the staff to get in to the schools and homes of some of these kids. Most of them are under ugag's nose before we get a chance to get in there. It has taken time for the staff and CCG himself to adjust just like it takes 80% of the other schools when a coaching change has occured. What I'm trying to say is that it doesn't happen overnight.

2 Big, there\'s a lot we can\'t recruit.

There's also about 35% we can recruit out of the Hot100. I'd like to see us in on more of the 35%, like last yr, than saying publically GT can't recruit but 9 or a smaller fraction due to grades (rather than just not being able to), like the previous 2 yrs. I'd rather see us bring in 10-11 from Ga than see us bring in 2-3 & we can. That's simply all I'm saying.

Yoda, I just don\'t see a big drop.

There just isn't a 'big' dropoff to Williams, Robertson & Chambers from anybody , slight maybe, but not big. There also is not a large dropoff to our 2 CBs, Jones & Lewis, from a Tristan Davis &, in fact, ours may be better. I just don't see it as leftovers at all, but as a solid, well rounded, class.
We came very close to getting more of what u wanted with Miller, Walker, Cuilla, Thaxton, et al. Perhaps we land those this yr. Still, a dramatic improvement in what we got & nearly got over what we got & nearly got in the previous 2 yrs. I think it's much better for GT now.

GT Dean-that's certainly true & ties into everything I've tried to descibe.

Back