Serious Concerns about FB Marketing(long)

Originally posted by goldeagle:
Cold Beer; WD didn't recall our conversation which was at a Macon GT club function last year. At that time I queried him about poor radio coverage and he indicated that the deal w/790 as flagship had been done to help solve the problem; also that many stations had conflicting agreements with Braves/UGA and/or wanted sizable fees to carry GT football. At that time A Tech grad was EVP of U.S. Broadcasting which owned maybe eight Macon area stations. In my e-reply to WD I told him I was gratified that someone in the AA was looking at what alums were saying; also suggested taskforce of alums and fans, preferably with a mix of more shallow pockets than deep ones, to work on the matter. My personal feeling is that Tech fans and alumni may be fewer in numbers but make up for that in socio/economic/political clout in the state and need to be organized to make it felt.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good stuff. Thanks for the note. I think a small taskforce/focus group of alums/fans would go a long way to improve things. I will bring this up at the next Lunch Bunch with Dave Braine.

Coldbeer,

I'll be one of the first to admit that Marta passes and bobbleheads aren't going to get the job done. As you've said it's cheap marketing, and GTAA will find out that people aren't rushing to buy tickets b/c they get passes and a doll.

I also understand that winning doesn't cure ALL attendance ills. I still think that consistent 9+ winning seasons goes a long way. Can GT achieve this level? I hope so, if we don't think we can, we need to drop the program. I fully believe that we can achieve this, and I know many of other fans that believe this too.

Marketing to people in Atlanta is the way to start to fill this stadium. I also believe that we need to market to other parts of the state to let Joe Farmer in Donalsonville or Wade Insurance salesman in Waycross know that Georgia Tech has a football team, and we'd like his support. There's no reason for UGA to have this entire state. I think that Chan's presence and, hopefully, future success will help us in this area. In southwest GA, old men talk about how tough Tech was under Bobby Dodd, and how they cheered for Coach Dodd. Why don't we create that atmosphere in 2002? Football is still football, and, if a south Georgia boy can win at Tech and forge good relationships with people in this state, that stadium won't see many empty days, be it against Duke, or be it against Auburn, FSU, or Georgia.

Back