Short-term vs. long-term view (long)

71YellowJacket

Damn Good Rat
Like many here, I have watched the offense sputter under AJ and had hoped to see more playtime for DB (not Dave Braine).

We are fans and few of us have played the game and damned few of us have coached at the HS level much less division I-A. But we are also not idiots who just got off the boat thinking that footballs are round.

From this fan's perspective, DB is a better athlete than AJ and as a RS-Frosh has much better long-term potential. So why isn't he playing more?

Coaches can't figure out that he's better is a bunch of blarney. These are bright men who have devoted much of their lives to this endeavor and all have track records to support this statement.

CCG is on the take-this was about the dumbest statement I read yet. I hope it was meant as a sarcasm.

Perhaps the coaches see the potential of DB and the superior athletic ability the same as we do but perhaps they also see that even today he is still a shade, just a shade behind AJ in game performance.

Many of us, thinking perhaps this was the case, have wondered why CG hasn't viewed DB as a better long-term investment and yanked AJ and given DB the practice reps with the first string and the game experience.

Here is a possible answer to this question. CCG does not see GT as a long-term assignment. An investment that pays off in the long-term would not benefit CCG if it hurts his short-term potential to move on.

Another possibility, what would be the reaction of the fan base if CCG had started DB right from the get go. Maybe by now we would be facing UGA with a stronger offense but likely 1 or 2 less wins. Would we be supportive, demanding Dave Braine sign CCG to a 5-year contract as a show of our support for his long-term decision? I don't think so...

Can any of us truly say if we were now 5-7, we would be FOCers? Beeware and his supporters would be lighting the torches and looking for the rope.

Like most college div I-A fan bases, we demand if not instant, short-term gratification.

Bobby Dodd, later in his career would have gone for the long-term but I can't think of many others that would have so why should CG?

Not an unreasonable post, 71Bee, though I must say I think more highly of CG than that. For one thing, I think he is far enough along in his career not to be worried about getting good jobs. If he is secure enough to say to DB (Dave Braine, that is) that he would not start the Tech job until his Dolphins job was over, and make that a deal breaker, then I think he is secure enough to do what he thinks is good for GaTech AND for individual football players without regard to his own short-term gains.

Some have suggested that he is hard-headed. I would be surprised if he isn't, since getting to his point in life takes a good bit of stick-to-itiveness. He isn't teaching a philosophy or religion class in which all options can be indulged for the sake of argument.

I think that CG and the other coaches believe that playing Suggs consistently gives GT its best chance of winning. In other words they are stuck in a situation where they do not have a premium passing game, and they are making the best of it.

Also I would GUESS, and it is just a guess, since I don't know any of the parties personally, and have not read of any of them saying this; I would guess that he is taking DBo's personal as well as athletic development into consideration, and does not want to throw him into a situation which would retard rather than develop his potential.

If CG and BO'B don't think that DBo is ready to carry the team, then the only reason to force him to try would be to shut us "fans" up. I don't think that's CG's take on being the Georgia Tech football coach.

Obviously, I continue to be a FOCer.

Belly,

I too remain a FOCer and (like most of us)will as long as he is winning.

If I recall correctly, CCG does not have a contract, much less a 5 year contract. IF, he had a five year contract, IMO it would be much easier for him to make long-term player decisions.

Even so, too many of us would be screaming for his head with each loss. As fans, most of us do not have a very objective view of our talent compared to the competition.

We should offer him a longer term contract. If we don't or if he refuses it (as I believe was the case when he came here), it tell volumes where we are headed down the road with CCG.

I think it's simple and still am amused that we have so many conspiracy theorists posting on here. Oliver Stone couldn't come up with as many themes as Tech "fans" can.

Here you go:

1) Bilbo is a better athlete

2) He cannot run the offense consistently - too many bad mistakes.

3) The reason we haven't seen this is because he hasn't played enough to lose a game for us. See #2 for the reason for that.

4) If CG had been willing to throw in the towel on this year we would have seen more of DBo. He won't because he doesn't like to lose and it isn't fair to the rest of the team.

5) While I'm sure CG would like for us to love him he's not too concerned about Tech fans bitching. Let's face it, he's dealt with Dallas fans.

6) I CG were fired, he would have a new job, probably in the pros, in a month, either HC or OC.

7) If we didn't have AJ or our D wasn't able to keep us in games, DBo would probably be playing. But, even though AJ is very limited in what he can do, he is steadier and gives us a better chance to win.

8) Contrary to popular belief QB is not our only offensive problem this year. We cannot run in short yardage situations (especially in the red zone), we have way too many penalties and dropped balls, our WR seem to have trouble making reads and running the right patterns (per Kim King) and injuries (as much as everyone will moan about excuses it does make a difference when you can't get any continuity among players).

All in all, I'm pissed we lost to Wake (not shocked but mad), I wish we had beaten FSU (outplayed them but for several big plays) but that's about it. Going into the season I don't think that many expected to beat Clemson at Death Valley. We had our chances and but for special teams likely would have won. MD was one of those nights where they got on a role and we made several bad mistakes in the 3rd. I would have predicted 8-3 right now so we aren't too far off.

Why don't we just beat Ugag to finish off the regular season.

NCjacket,

Setting your priorities for the short-term vs. the long-term can be legitimate strategy-not a conspiracy.

Few Div I-A coaches spend more than 3 years with one school. Turnover rate getting higher not lower.

CCG does not have a contract. IIRC, didn't want one.

I wish he did, and I do think he is an honorable man. I believe he is giving Tech what Tech wants with AJ at quarterback..

71Bee, not thinking about you so much as some of the other posters who are constantly going on in this vein. If your theory is that he is trying to maximize results this year, then I agree with you. I don't think of it as short term vs long term so much as what you pay a coach to do. Win now, and prepare for tomorrow.

Back