Should we be learning 'The Yellow Rose of Texas'?

GT Ace

Jolly Good Fellow
Should we be learning \'The Yellow Rose of Texas\'?

Or perhaps 'The Eyes of Texas are Upon You'? I can't remember a single GT player from Texas before we got Jimmy Dixon. I know several of our coaches had talked about getting into Tex, especially O'L, but always were 'locked' out. O'L's staff pulls this running back, Dixon, out of Tex & follows that up with Honeycutt(although raised in Ga) & PJ Daniels.
Now with Chan Gailey, former HC of the Cowboys, Brick Haley from Baylor & Curtis Modkins from Okla St, we are really in the running for very good players from Texas. These guys have excellent connections over there & are getting GT on the map of a LOT of div 1a prospects. Bridges, McGuire & Sampson from last yr boosted by Pena & Parker already this yr.
This is one heck of a HS football state to recruit in as they play excellent ball there. Every single MAJOR football school recruits in & pulls players in from Tex. I must say, 'it's ABOUT TIME we got in on this mega football state'. If you're not gonna pull much from Ga, u've got to pull from Fla, Tex & La.

Re: Should we be learning \'The Yellow Rose of Texas\'?

Originally posted by GT Ace:
If you're not gonna pull much from Ga...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">The lack of recruiting success in Georgia this year reverses a wonderful trend started by George O'leary of great recruits like Recardo Wimbush, Daryl Smith, Fred Smith, Jeremy Muyers, Tony Hollings, Reuben Houston, Marvious Hester, Luke Manget, etc., etc.

Even though O'leary greatly expanded our recruiting base by picking up great recruits from Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, Texas, Ohio, Colorado, California, New Jersey, etc....he realized that for TECH to truly be successful we had to get our share of great athletes from Georgia.
You are never going to consistently beat out Texas for great athletes from Texas, or Florida, FSU and Miami for Florida athletes, etc.
The almost total lack of recruiting in Georgia this year by the Gailey regime is disturbing at best...and cannot be allowed to continue.
If, in the future, we don't properly recruit our home state successfully, then our program will never reach the level of success we all want.
Mark it down....Gailey's failure to properly recruit Georgia cannot be allowed in the future. It will bite him...and TECH...in the arse.

we have been marking down a lot of your crap beeware ..

and slowly but surely .. it's all being proven to be .. well .. crap ..

mark it down

Beeware speaks the truth on recruiting.
BOO

beeware has already claimed that we have been unsuccessful in recruiting in georgia this year.

please wait till signing day and then talk about success/failure.

beeware has been predicting doom since day one.

Not in support of some of BW's past venom, but on this issue he is right on as far as the longer term picture is concerned. Also, I will gladly learn the Yellow Rose tune IF we sign kids from there that were OFFERED by Texas, Texas A&M, OKLA, Texas Tech, Ark, versus Baylor, SMU, & RICE. THWG

You cannot argue with the success, playing time & overall ability of these young men from Texas, tho. Dixon(rSo) has been in a good bit @ FB. Daniels(rFr) has gotten tough yds for us & was a godsend vs Virginia with 94 yds. Honeycutt(rFr) is Dorsey's backup & appears to be a pretty good OL who will play a lot for Tech. Bridges(Fr) has played in 7 games & had some nice catches to go with a coupla drops. He seems to be a big time WR. Sampson(Fr) stepped in, giving up his rs yr, to help us when we were very thin @ RB.
McGuire will play in '03 as a rFr. Pena & Parker are legit div 1a prospects. I do like what we've done in Tex so far.

beeware and others: O'Leary did not get the job done agains FSU and many other with his Georgia and other recruits any more than Gailey and his staff have. Quit bragging on a mediocre coach and staff. Quit settling for mediocrity (O'Leary, et al.) I don't care who you sign or where they are from....coaching has to get the job done. We haven't had that in quite some time regardless of where the recruits are from. My advice: Get the best assistants to Gailey possible, have Gailey surrender some of his money to hire the best, then recruit from whereever you hafve to whether it is Alaska or Lower Mexico. Get the coaches and get the players and lets stop being owned by FSU and Ga, and others.

Isn't Jonathan Smith from Texas? Tech's history w/Texas goes back to at least '65 when John Sias and Joel Stephenson enrolled.

drinking.gif
drinking.gif

I lived in Texas for 23 years, and I hated our lack of success in recruiting Texas. It was especially galling when Ugag always got at least 1 top 100 from Texas, and we were not even mentioned. Penn State, ND, all the Texas schools, Tennessee, Florida, FSU, even UCLA & Sou Cal picked up players from Texas. No doubt about it, when we start competing for Texas players, we have moved up a notch in our recruiting.

Concerning the Georgia recruiting, BW, we have not quit recruiting in our home state. We have expanded from our base. We recruit Georgia as our home base, but it is suddenly getting harder with all the erroneous talk about our snubbing Georgia. Guess who is hurting us in Georgia?

There seems to be a better national awareness of GT since the olympics. When talking with Texas A&M parents several years ago, they perceived a very high and glamorous mystique about GT. They would just love for their child to be able to go there. Now why is it that perception is occurring? More wins, olympics, more TV exposure, and ACADEMICS. It is Stanford and GT who hold the foremost positions as schools with the best academics and good athletics. The last bowl game between GT and Stanford was being labeled in Tennessee and Texas as the scholars bowl.

Great things we have going for us are:

GT renowned academics
Traditions
Loyal and supporting fan base
Class
Clean ethics
STUDENT-athletes
Long history of world impact graduates
Atlanta
Georgia
Ugag lack of class in graduates, fans, and athletes.
Ugag history of cheating
Ugag belly bumping on TV
Ugag fans shutting down the airport because of stupidity
This Ugag list could go on forever.

soapbox.gif

Nice post Mustard! Yes the UGa stupidity goes beyond the norm.

BW
You can add Ga players Key Fox, Ather Brown, Gary Johnson, James Butler, Leon Robinson, Hugh Reilly, Ray Roberts-Blake, Kyle Wallace, Jeremy Phillips, Will Heller, Levan Thomas, AJ Suggs & Gordon Clinkscale to that list.
These players have done just fine @ GT with their studies as well as their ability to start on the field. I don't get why we are not getting more visits & interest from players, even if we don't offer them. It just seems like way too much total none interest from GT as well as the Ga recruits. There are so many super good recruits here that can do the studies & have proven that they are major college players at every school. To completely overlook this state is giving up valuable recruiting inroads in the future as well as now.
I really don't get it & am hoping the coaches know what they're doing. I'm presuming they do

I agree with BWare. If we don't recruit our home state we can hang it up. The last coach who could not recruit Georgia had a 1-10 season. People talked about his ability to recruit from other areas as well. My last look at the ACC journal revealed recruiting for GT was poor compared to the league. It only takes a couple of poor recruiting classes to trash a program for a lengthy period. Last years recruiting class was poorly rated. Another one could just about seal a 4 year spiral down.

We do need to recruit Ga as well as we can. However, I still haven't seen the evidence that we aren't. Check any recruiting database and we are on the lists for Ga kids. We just haven't closed on any yet, which I take to be a loss of contacts from the old staff to the new and a "wait and see" attitude from some kids. Also, do we offer before a kid has a qualifying SAT? I know that it has been documented that our admissions policy towards SAs hasn't changed but it seems to me that the staff is being much more selective with an eye towards improving the grad rate.

NC jacket, how many Ga. kids are we leading for? I don't have any inside information from the coaching staff at Tech about how fervently we are recruiting the state of Ga. but I can tell you with absolute certainty that the two high school
teams that have the most big time recruits have not been contacted by anyone from Tech. The high school coaches are amazed that nobody from Tech has contacted neither the players or coaches at these two high schools. By the way three of the eight 1a college recruits could go to any college in the country including Harvard. Two of the star players made over 1300 on their SAT and another made over 1200. One of the schools are only about a 45 minute drive from the Tech campus. Now these are facts, not rumor or mental deductions made by me from my conversations, but these coaches are upset that the Tech coaches have snubbed them. I can't imagine what Chan's reasons are but I can tell you that Tech won't ever sign a player from either school as long as those high school coaches are there.

Big Buck, what you describes does concern me. Have you made any attempts to contact either CG or whoever is responsible for Ga recruiting? Is it Nix? What I've said all along is that we do need to recruit Ga, but we have to be more selective than Ugag does. I expect we will see more recruits from out of state but have never said we don't need to continue to build support in state.

Back