"Sleeper" OL play, WTH???

GTCalvinist

Damn Good Rat
I haven't seen it before, so I'll use the name that the announcers gave the play. That was one of the strangest things I've seen, but it worked for them I guess. The thing that hurt us was that we were off sides both times and so a flag was thrown. It only takes one player to think the play is dead for them to be successful. And I can see why it might've fooled some, if they saw the flag and the OL standing perfectly still.

I dunno, never played football myself, but what would you have thought if you were playing D against that?

The second time they ran that play, the offsides had nothing to do with the touchdown. It didn't appear to me that any of our players were fooled by the look or that it messed up the secondary. I think the main break down on that play was that the corner bit on the quarterback roll out.

I pretty much agree that the whole point is to screw with the heads of the secondary to allow the WRs to get past the coverage.

Regardless of the outcome, you have to admit that Dan Mozes lying there on his face was pretty humorous.

haywire83 said:
The second time they ran that play, the offsides had nothing to do with the touchdown. It didn't appear to me that any of our players were fooled by the look or that it messed up the secondary. I think the main break down on that play was that the corner bit on the quarterback roll out.

I pretty much agree that the whole point is to screw with the heads of the secondary to allow the WRs to get past the coverage.

Regardless of the outcome, you have to admit that Dan Mozes lying there on his face was pretty humorous.

that was no sleeper play. Its just where the center is supposed to snap early if someone jumps in the neutral zone. They have trained their line not to move because the QB still has not called the snap count but they tell their QB that its a free play and to take advantage of it and he did. We did the same thing in high school. Its just that most of the time coaches tell their QB to take a knee.

Our DB's better have been fooled by it or they were flat pathetic.

I think that the play is set up for the receivers to run deep and the O-Line to stay still in a hope that the Defenders will be confused by the O-Lines lack of movement.

I believe our safety froze because the O-Line showed no signs of life and that resulted in the WR getting behind the Defense.

That wasn't a play guys, ramblinwise1 is correct, it was simply a case of the center snapping the ball when we jumped offsides and the rest of the OL staying put because they hadn't heard the snap count. They scored on one because we totally screwed up the coverage...there was no one over the inside receiver. Our CB was screaming at the safety to get over there but he never did. The WVU player simply ran straight up field since he wasn't covered.

ncjacket said:
That wasn't a play guys, ramblinwise1 is correct, it was simply a case of the center snapping the ball when we jumped offsides and the rest of the OL staying put because they hadn't heard the snap count. They scored on one because we totally screwed up the coverage...there was no one over the inside receiver. Our CB was screaming at the safety to get over there but he never did. The WVU player simply ran straight up field since he wasn't covered.
Then why did they stay in their stance all the way through the play when continuation is allowed on offsides (w/o contact)? The center (you know, the one that snapped the ball) didn't move either after snapping the ball?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is what I gather about the play:

- It's designed to fool the DBs into letting a receiver by, which is exactly what happened in the second half. Also, when it was played in the first half, the pass went to the same exact spot.
- It only happens on "free" plays when the defense jumps offsides. I guess this is because WVU considered the play too risky to ever use in a situation without the guaranteed five yards.

It's like a hot route on a blitz. The center snaps the ball on his own, the OL doesn't move because there's no snap count. On Sports Center they talked about it and said they stay still to draw attention to the fact that the DL is offsides.

The reason they scored is NOT because they fooled the DBs. They scored because we had an alignment issue before the play started and had NO ONE on that WR. WV had 3 Wrs to the left and we had only 2 DBs. The CB was screaming for the safety to move over and never did.

Just to further the comment. On the WVU board they're laughing that the announcers were talking about the "trick" play. It's something their OL is taught to do when someone jumps. The center snaps the ball and all 5 OL freeze. If they're hit, the fall over and freeze on the ground. Their center falls forward occassionally because he loses his balance. It happens every time they catch someone in the nuetral zone.

ncjacket said:
It's like a hot route on a blitz. The center snaps the ball on his own, the OL doesn't move because there's no snap count. On Sports Center they talked about it and said they stay still to draw attention to the fact that the DL is offsides.

The reason they scored is NOT because they fooled the DBs. They scored because we had an alignment issue before the play started and had NO ONE on that WR. WV had 3 Wrs to the left and we had only 2 DBs. The CB was screaming for the safety to move over and never did.

OK, the OL staying still was the part I didn't really understand and it makes sense now.

We also missed Kenny Scott very, very much against WVU. He took up a lot of slack that JWD can't at this point in his career.

Well, the announcers got one on me I guess. Still looked weird to me though.

Back