So is Gathers done?

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
Based on the fact that his name is not even mentioned in this morning's AJC article on the defensive line .... is this the officially unofficial word?

I haven't seen all the practices, so I am only partially informed. But the hunch is that even if he were cleared medically he wouldn't be in game shape enough to help us.

As Gailey alluded to, his leadership would help if he could just help with 15-20 snaps.

It is apparent that something is of more serious concern medically or he would have been cleared. Football is insignificant as we all know when one deals with something like a kidney.

Here's praying for Gathers to have a long and healthy life irregardless of football.

From what I've heard the Docs are not concerned about contact, but rather dehydration. Apparently his condition makes him more susceptible to dehydration and dehydration puts him at risk for kidney failure - a serious consequence. Dunno if the condition is expected to improve or not.

Isn't dehydration most common during long periods of exertion? If this is the case then why not let him try playing in short spurts like 3rd down situations? Or can he not work out enough to get in shape for that?

I just feel bad for Greg. They guy was an All-American and future NFL player. I'll never forget being at his first game up in Annapolis where he just tore Navy up as a true Frosh. I'd never heard of him before that game (didn't follow recruiting) but everyone knew he was special afterwards.

Back