So we've got 2 strenghts: OL and LB. How do we build on that?

kirbee

Jolly Good Fellow
So we\'ve got 2 strenghts: OL and LB. How do we build on that?

I'm trying to be optimistic here. In the midst of all the question marks and inexperience on the depth chart, how can we capitalize on the team's biggest strengths to have a decent season? We have 3 quality senior LBs. We have an experienced veteran OL.

I think its clear that these 2 units have to play at an exceptional level for the team to be successful.

For the OL, I'm talking about pancake blocks, truck sized holes for RBs, no grass stains on the QB's jersey, "all day to throw", etc. The OL should make it a goal to absoluetly dominate this year. They have the potential. Last year they were inconsistent and nagged with injuries. If they can step up and dominate I really think our offense could surprise everyone.

On the defensive side, the LBs are the backbone. They need to be unblockable, plug the holes, attack the ball, fly all over the field sideline to sideline, line of scrimmage to secondary. Mostly they need to create big plays: turnovers, interceptions, stip the ball, bat balls down, even score some points (remember 98?). Like the OL, they have been nagged with injuries in the past. I think if they can be healthy, their leadership could make for a decent defensive season. And if they are able to make the big game turning plays we could bite some people.

Re: So we\'ve got 2 strenghts: OL and LB. How do we build on that?

Originally posted by kirbee:
I'm trying to be optimistic here. In the midst of all the question marks and inexperience on the depth chart, how can we capitalize on the team's biggest strengths to have a decent season? We have 3 quality senior LBs. We have an experienced veteran OL.

I think its clear that these 2 units have to play at an exceptional level for the team to be successful.

For the OL, I'm talking about pancake blocks, truck sized holes for RBs, no grass stains on the QB's jersey, "all day to throw", etc. The OL should make it a goal to absoluetly dominate this year. They have the potential. Last year they were inconsistent and nagged with injuries. If they can step up and dominate I really think our offense could surprise everyone.

On the defensive side, the LBs are the backbone. They need to be unblockable, plug the holes, attack the ball, fly all over the field sideline to sideline, line of scrimmage to secondary. Mostly they need to create big plays: turnovers, interceptions, stip the ball, bat balls down, even score some points (remember 98?). Like the OL, they have been nagged with injuries in the past. I think if they can be healthy, their leadership could make for a decent defensive season. And if they are able to make the big game turning plays we could bite some people.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Pray to God we have no injuries there, or to anymore DL's or we are toast.

I would add WR's to the OL & LB's. That's a lot to build on. I think the key to building on the strength of the OL & WR's is to be very unpredictable on first down, ala Ralph. This will take some of the 3rd down pressure off of Ball and will also deter the more athletic fronts of Auburn, fsu, & ugag from teeing off on us. THWG

A solid OL can be a catalyst for improvement on that side of the ball. They hold their blocks a little longer and Ball's got that extra second to find the open man (improved QB and WR play)or they open bigger holes for the RB's (RB becomes a strength not a question mark)

i want to add our secondary to our strengths.

they don't have a lot of experience when it comes to playing time .. but they will be solid. they have speed and size and we're loaded in the secondary.

I gotta go with Ylo on this one. The OL and LB are the obvious strengths.

Just like Ylo said, the secondary doesn't have the experience but without a doubt they have the best potential of any secondary that we have put on the field in a while.

If they gel quickly, they could really shut down a passing game. If that happens, then we can stack the box and give the DL a lot of help.

For the secondary (very inexperienced - but I like the athleticism) to play shut down defense, the LB's must do their job. They must blanket the TE on the strong side, cover any backs in pattern and knock the QB on his arse early and often.

Good question but unfortunately both are in a position of being dependent on other parts of the team.Specifically no matter how well the O line blocks if the QB doesn't throw well or the rec doesn't catch the ball their effort is negated.
If the D line doesn't slow down the rush attack then the LBs will spend all game worrying about 300 lb O linemen rolling down on them.I keep remembering Key Fox trying to fight off the Oline from Wake and Md last yr.Tough.The flip side is that if the DBs don't cover then the LBs will be prone to drop back more and the Def line won't be supported.On the other hand they are in the perfect position to do something about both problems.
I might be wrong but the DBs will have a lot more trouble ,a least originally,than many think.Tough to play boldly at that postion inexperienced.Also they have not seen a strong passing attack in practice.We may have early lessons to learn.maybe later willbe less mistake prone.

Back