So what is the difference in 800 and 900 on SAT?

Y Jacket

Flats Noob
Seems to me as I read the recruiting banter that GT has set a floor of 900 on the SAT but prefers 1000 while FSU/UGA etc. can and do take kids above 800.

First - am I correct on this?
Second - does anyone have any good/decent data on exactly what this difference in SAT scores means as far as kids that can be considered? I have always wondered about where the scores for FB players were.

As an aside, what kind of "allowances" would be required for GT to routinely recruit Atlanta schools? I have always thought we would be a consistent top 15 school if we could just lock down Atlanta.

BTW - not saying we should make any allowance just to get FB players into Tech, just curious and trying to define exactly what our restrictions are costing us.

[ QUOTE ]
Seems to me as I read the recruiting banter that GT has set a floor of 900 on the SAT but prefers 1000 while FSU/UGA etc. can and do take kids above 800.

First - am I correct on this?
Second - does anyone have any good/decent data on exactly what this difference in SAT scores means as far as kids that can be considered? I have always wondered about where the scores for FB players were.

As an aside, what kind of "allowances" would be required for GT to routinely recruit Atlanta schools? I have always thought we would be a consistent top 15 school if we could just lock down Atlanta.

BTW - not saying we should make any allowance just to get FB players into Tech, just curious and trying to define exactly what our restrictions are costing us.

[/ QUOTE ]

The new SAT floor..as I understand it...is 720 (may be lower). Additionally, the GPA floor is 2.2. However, both the 720 and 2.2 do not make the floor together...it is a sliding scale.

Most schools, UGA and FSU included, only require the athlete meet NCAA requirements to get in. That is fine because they have majors they can put them in.

The NCAA will never be a level playing field as long as the requirements are this weak. It got better in the late 90's when the score requirements were higher...but will not be back there again anytime soon.

Our requirement right now is 900+ SAT and a 3.0+ GPA. 21 of our 23 recruits (soon to be 23 out of 25 or maybe one more) made well over 1000 and well over 3.0 GPA. None have a GPA under 3.0....and the 2 that were not over 1000 scored 940 and 950 as juniors and did not retake...or at least did not report a new score.

Back