some Dukies want G O'L for head coach?

Re: some Dukies want G O\'L for head coach?

lawbee, no offense but your thread title is as bad as some headlines in the AJC. SOME Dukies think they want George. It's not many and there are at least as many opposed as in support. FWIW I don't think Duke wants George. They seem to be looking elsewhere. I don't personally have anything against George, but don't think this will happen.

agree ncjacket. I was over there a lot last night and George was barely wanted. Most dismissed the idea as not workable. I think the powers that be there have there noses to far up in the air to take a coach run off from somewhere else because of ethics. Could he do a good job? probably, but not with a school like Duke where 'perceived integrity' and academics are important.

I changed the subject header, but the point of the post is how is it possible for a college to hire him if they would expell students for doing the same thing.

The reality is if you lied on your admissions app that would probably mean expulsion from most colleges.

I just don't see how colleges will get past it.

Originally posted by law_bee:

I just don't see how colleges will get past it.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You're right, no credible college/university will dismiss this.

I disagree, O'Leary made a mistake and has paid for it dearly. He lost his number one dream of coaching at Notre Dame.

Why should he not be forgiven if he states he is sorry for his mistake?

I believe some college will give him a chance, and I would not be surprised if it is this year.

Personally, I do not think he is a good fit for Duke. I believe O'Leary will have to coach at a school where he can recruit the better athletes. I am not saying Clemson would be interested in George, but he would be a good match for their program.

I do not know if he would want to coach against both Friegden and Beamer each year. He may opt for a school outside of the ACC if given the opportunity.

Father Time

I don't know why George would do the college thing again. He's where they don't care about resumes or academics, it's all about winning, and he's showing he can do that. In fact, with the way the Minn defense is playing this year he could very well get an NFL HC shot soon.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

Why should he not be forgiven if he states he is sorry for his mistake?

I believe some college will give him a chance, and I would not be surprised if it is this year.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Asho:

Not a question of forgiveness or paying dues for past mistakes. He's probably OK on that issue. I'm thinking it's more of a Public Relations issue for any college that offers him a position. I think Law has a very valid point. You can't hold your students to a higher standard than you hold your faculty/staff/administration to.

I'm not anti-GOL. My only problem with GOL stems from the fact that he wanted ND more than he wanted GT. Sorry... but this just irks me a bit. IMHO... just can't see how it would be anything other than a PR disaster for any college/university that offers him a position. I just don't think baggage of that type goes away that quickly. No friggin way at Duke!

BuzzB

Ahso, I do not agree with this thought of yours:

O'Leary made a mistake and has paid for it dearly. He lost his number one dream of coaching at Notre Dame.

IMO, this is what they used to get rid of him. He was not welcomed up there by someone. If it wasn't his resume, it would have been something else. Personally, I love the fact that ND has who they want.

Remember this....O'Leary has 2 best friends...Ralph Friedgen and Frank Beamer. George also has stated (I've seen the interview myself) that he wants to be back in the college game. Although, I will admit that interview was before the NFL season started and his defense starting playing lights out like they have been. My point is that GOL still has friends at 2 big schools...both of which will be in the ACC next year. I would not be at all surprised to see him go to Maryland as defensive coordinator and then go from there to a HC job somewhere. I posted this on another thread early this morning, but I truly expect that ND will fire Willingham within the next 3 years, because I just don't think he's that good of a coach. When that happens, many people in the press will begin to re-analyze the whole Notre Dame handling of George O'Leary and Ty Willingham. At this point, the whole ResumeGate incident will be 4 - 5 years in the past and we Americans will have forgotten all about it, like we tend to do with other things. If GOL has moved back into the college game for a year or two at that point as a DC, then he will be a shoo-in for a HC job at some prestigious university.

Make all the arguments you want about his record with & without the Fridge. But the cold hard facts are that most head coaches don't call plays (one thing I really like about having CG as our head coach now...you dont have an OC calling the plays; getting a national rep, and jumping to another school as a HC), they hire coordinators to do that. So the mark of a good HC is how well he motivates, what kind of coaches he hires to help him out, and what kind of recruiting he can do. GOL has proven effective at all 3 and you know how you can tell? His record.

Mark my words...he'll be a HC somewhere in the next 5 years. And I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him do just as well there as he has here.

Duke's AD Alleva has reportedly stated that O'Leary of Neuhiessel(sp) will not be considered for the job.

Ted Roof will be granted an interview along with 4 others .. who? undecided.

Players want Ted Roof and one of their linemen says that they really need to get a win to boost Roof's chances.

LINK: AP report regarding Duke's HC position

Dook would be very lucky to get a Coach like O'leary or Neuheisel.

I doubt that are smart enough to keep Roof, although he probably would be the best overall choice under the circumstances.

I hope dook's athletic director is a lot more honest and upfront about this situation with Roof than Dave Braine was with Coach McWhorter.

beeware, why don't you just go away. How do you turn every thread on any subject into an opportunity to bash something about Tech? And you claim to be a fan?

i_bleed_gold_white...I can't imagine O'Leary taking a DC job at any college unless he gets sacked in the pros. With the way his defense is playing this year he will be a hot commodity. Maybe he would leave for a college HC job, but not a coordinator.

I personally believe OLeary will be back in the college game as a head coach. No way does he go back to MD as a D co-ordinator - that is foolish to consider. He also is a long way from an NFL head coaching slot. There are a lot of good Co-ordinators in the NFL and he just has 1/2 of a good (not great) year under his belt. Not trying to be bad - just looking at his chances at an NFL job realistically.

My bet is that at the end of this year or next if his D continues to play well he ends up at Indiana, Syracuse or some school like that. He would do well there but I think GT is one of the few schools south of the mason dixon that would be a fit for him. And we were a fit because of his co-ordinator experience here - I am not sure he would have been wellcomed as an outsider.

I do think he will do well in the college game again.

It'd be a mistake for Dook not to keep Roof. Of course, since they are an opponent, let 'em screw it up. Maybe coach K has someone in mind.

I believe Oleary will get another shot at Head Coach somewhere BUT it will NOT be at a major power down in the South..I disagree he would be a terrible fit at Clemson...That is a true sec type southern school...I dont believe they have ever had a Northeasterner coaching there...imho..not a good fit...

Maybe Rutgers or Syracuse though...Who knows if Oleary gets lucky he may land a job in the Big Ten..I want to see him get a good job..I just dont think it will be here in the South....

Back