"Some Good, Some Bad"

My problem with the reverse call was that Godhigh would have been open had we just ran a standard passing play. Our guys were open on deep routes the entire second half. The reverse just made the pass take longer, which is a problem when your OL is not known for pass blocking.

My problem with the reverse call was that Godhigh would have been open had we just ran a standard passing play. Our guys were open on deep routes the entire second half. The reverse just made the pass take longer, which is a problem when your OL is not known for pass blocking.

Pass blocking inability is 100% on the coach. Do you think GT is unique on CFB where we have to teach run blocking *and* pass blocking? If we can't even teach basic pass blocking technique, then whats wrong with our coach?

Beej, have you lived under a rock for the past six seasons? We hit that pass as part of our play action first down offense, not as part of a two minute offense late in the 4th quarter. That's my point. We can't pass when we *have* to pass. Almost every comeback bid ends in an INT in the PJ era.

We had to pass vs Ole Miss on Monday and we completed a 70 yard pass.

Yeah thats the game I was thinking about too, but that wasn't a true two-minute offense. It was more like a game ending long drive. The last true two minute offense we hit at the end of a game was a couple years ago against VT, but we left 30 seconds on the clock and they drove to a game tying FG. That game ended with TW's horrible endzone interception in OT, but I still gave him credit for the two minute drill that would've won the game if our D had held.

Ah yes. Tevin. The good ole days when we had a QB who could run the öööö offense. Even though Tevin wasn't a better passer than Vad, he was able to open up the passing game because he was an actual run threat. Now it's just a clusterf***.

I remember when I would routinely get fooled about who actually had the ball after the mesh because Tevin and Joshua sold it so well. Now it seems like everything is a designed run.

AGAIN a team that was favored over us beat us-just par for course
we don't have the talent to beat good teams and probably not the coaching either

Ah yes. Tevin. The good ole days when we had a QB who could run the öööö offense. Even though Tevin wasn't a better passer than Vad, he was able to open up the passing game because he was an actual run threat. Now it's just a clusterf***.

I remember when I would routinely get fooled about who actually had the ball after the mesh because Tevin and Joshua sold it so well. Now it seems like everything is a designed run.

Our option game this year has been hot garbage in just about every game save Syracuse. Even vs Duke we didn't look particularly sharp at it.

I wonder if it doesn't have to do with how we're allocating practice time. I bet in the early CPJ years we practiced option 80% of the time, and I bet now we do more like 40%.

oh my God!

Longing for the good old days of Tevin as our quarterback. Now I have heard it all. You have officially jumped the shark.

Go Jackets!

Beej, have you lived under a rock for the past six seasons? We hit that pass as part of our play action first down offense, not as part of a two minute offense late in the 4th quarter. That's my point. We can't pass when we *have* to pass. Almost every comeback bid ends in an INT in the PJ era.

When is the last time we won a game with a two minute drill? You can choose to insult me if you can't put a coherent rebuttal together or you can choose to refute with facts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It doesn't really happen that often for anyone, no matter what offense they run. It's a low percentage situation, especially when you have to score a TD.

Is Stanford suddenly a terrible team because they got stuffed on 4th and 1 late?

We had to pass vs Ole Miss on Monday and we completed a 70 yard pass.

Wrong, it was very early in the fourth quarter (14 mins left), down by two scores, and we had possibly 3-4 more possessions remaining. We didn't have to go to a two minute offense yet. We completed a pass over the top of a defender who fell down from biting on play action. Do you think play action works when folks know you have to pass? How can you possibly make any argument we have even a marginally effective two-minute offense? It's probably the worst 2-minute drill in any division of football.

It doesn't really happen that often for anyone, no matter what offense they run. It's a low percentage situation, especially when you have to score a TD.

Is Stanford suddenly a terrible team because they got stuffed on 4th and 1 late?

Yup, you're right, its a low percentage play for all. However, we have practically no hope during a two minute situation versus other teams at least have hope. We can't even drop back for a simple pass without our QB either getting a jailbreak rush or throwing off his back foot into triple coverage. The pass routes are amateur hour too. No double moves or anything that resembles skill. The only move we ever do in a pass route is a wheel route, a basic route you learn in pee wee football.

Wrong, it was very early in the fourth quarter (14 mins left), down by two scores, and we had possibly 3-4 more possessions remaining.

Lol. We were down by two scores with two possessions remaining. The only reason we managed to sneak a 3rd possession in there was because of the 70 yard pass. We were in hurry up the whole fourth quarter.

That's not how I remember things. The problem now, as it was then, is that teams are still selling out the pass to stop the run. They knew Tevin wouldn't get many yards keeping it himself, nor could he pass it very well.

My enthusiasm for the 2013 season back in August surrounded how Vad was finally the QB who could either hurt you on the ground (if defenses opt to take away the dive and pitch) or burn you through the air.

Honestly, the OL is more to blame here because Vad really was having to run for his life most the time he dropped back to pass. But having a punishing runner QB is something we've been missing since JfN. Early on in the season, some hit rattled Vad and he wasn't the same since. He played soft, afraid to take a hit, and that affected his tenacity on QB keepers as well as rollouts.

Lol. We were down by two scores with two possessions remaining. The only reason we managed to sneak a 3rd possession in there was because of the 70 yard pass. We were in hurry up the whole fourth quarter.

beej, I love you man but you're losing this argument. I argue that we have a horrible two minute drill and that its hopeless in the final minutes of the game if we're down. I *think* you're arguing that we can do well in the two-minute drill at the end of a game, using the 70 yd TD pass as evidence. Below is the drive chart of our final 5 possessions that were in the 4th quarter. Nothing suggests we were in a two-minute drill until desperation time at 4 mins left in the game. By the way, I'm going to research how many of our final drives (when we're down by a score) end in an INT. I bet its a very high percentage.

Georgia Tech at 3:00 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 15 Vad Lee pass complete to Robert Godhigh for 39 yards to the Miss 46 for a 1ST down. 23 7
1st and 10 at MISS 46 Zach Laskey rush for 14 yards to the Miss 32 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MISS 32 Zach Laskey rush for 3 yards to the Miss 29.
2nd and 7 at MISS 29 Zach Laskey rush for 5 yards to the Miss 24.
3rd and 2 at MISS 24 Vad Lee rush for 1 yard to the Miss 23.
4th and 1 at MISS 23 Vad Lee rush for 1 yard to the Miss 22 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MISS 22 Robert Godhigh rush for 1 yard to the Miss 21.
End of 3rd Quarter
4th Quarter Play by Play
Georgia Tech at 15:00 MISS GT
2nd and 9 at MISS 21 Vad Lee pass incomplete. 23 7
3rd and 9 at MISS 21 Vad Lee pass incomplete to Robert Godhigh.
4th and 9 at MISS 21 Harrison Butker 38 yard field goal GOOD. 23 10

Harrison Butker kickoff for 58 yards returned by Jaylen Walton for 22 yards to the Miss 29.
DRIVE TOTALS: GATECH drive: 10 plays 64 yards, 03:17 GATECH FG
Ole Miss at 14:43 MISS GT
1st and 10 at MISS 29 Barry Brunetti rush for 20 yards to the Miss 49 for a 1ST down. 23 10
1st and 10 at MISS 49 I'Tavius Mathers rush for a loss of 2 yards to the Miss 47.
2nd and 12 at MISS 47 Bo Wallace pass intercepted by D.J. White at the GTech 28, returned for no gain to the GTech 28.
DRIVE TOTALS: OLEMISS drive: 3 plays 18 yards, 01:07 OLEMISS INT

Georgia Tech at 13:36 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 28 Vad Lee pass complete to Darren Waller for 72 yards for a TOUCHDOWN. 23 16
Harrison Butker extra point GOOD. 23 17
Harrison Butker kickoff for 65 yards for a touchback.
DRIVE TOTALS: GATECH drive: 1 play 72 yards, 00:11 GATECH TD

Ole Miss at 13:25 MISS GT
1st and 10 at MISS 25 Bo Wallace pass complete to Laquon Treadwell for a loss of 2 yards to the Miss 23. 23 17
2nd and 12 at MISS 23 Jaylen Walton rush for no gain to the Miss 23.
3rd and 12 at MISS 23 Bo Wallace pass incomplete.
4th and 12 at MISS 23 Tyler Campbell punt for 40 yards, returned by DeAndre Smelter for 4 yards to the GTech 41.
DRIVE TOTALS: OLEMISS drive: 3 plays -2 yards, 01:30 OLEMISS PUNT

Georgia Tech at 11:55 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 41 David Sims rush for 7 yards to the GTech 48. 23 17
2nd and 3 at GT 48 David Sims rush for 4 yards to the Miss 48 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MISS 48 Vad Lee rush for a loss of 3 yards to the GTech 49.
2nd and 13 at GT 49 Vad Lee pass incomplete to Darren Waller.
3rd and 13 at GT 49 Vad Lee pass incomplete to Synjyn Days.
4th and 13 at GT 49 Sean Poole punt for 38 yards, fair catch by Jordan Holder at the Miss 13.
DRIVE TOTALS: GATECH drive: 5 plays 8 yards, 02:09 GATECH PUNT

Ole Miss at 9:46 MISS GT
1st and 10 at MISS 13 Bo Wallace rush for 3 yards to the Miss 16. 23 17
2nd and 7 at MISS 16 Jaylen Walton rush for 5 yards to the Miss 21.
3rd and 2 at MISS 21 Barry Brunetti rush for 4 yards to the Miss 25 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MISS 25 Barry Brunetti pass incomplete to Quincy Adeboyejo.
2nd and 10 at MISS 25 Bo Wallace pass complete to I'Tavius Mathers for 14 yards to the Miss 39 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at MISS 39 Bo Wallace pass complete to Laquon Treadwell for 8 yards to the Miss 47.
2nd and 2 at MISS 47 Bo Wallace rush for 8 yards to the GTech 45 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at GT 45 Bo Wallace rush for 7 yards to the GTech 38.
2nd and 3 at GT 38 GEORGIA TECH penalty 15 yard Pass Interference accepted.
1st and 10 at GT 23 Jaylen Walton rush for 3 yards to the GTech 20.
2nd and 7 at GT 20 I'Tavius Mathers rush for 15 yards to the GTech 5 for a 1ST down.
1st and Goal at GT 5 Bo Wallace pass incomplete to Donte Moncrief.
2nd and Goal at GT 5 Barry Brunetti rush for 1 yard to the GTech 4.
3rd and Goal at GT 4 OLE MISS penalty 5 yard False Start on Laquon Treadwell accepted.
3rd and Goal at GT 9 Laquon Treadwell rush for a loss of 6 yards to the GTech 15.
4th and Goal at GT 15 Andrew Ritter 32 yard field goal BLOCKED.
DRIVE TOTALS: OLEMISS drive: 13 plays 72 yards, 05:10 OLEMISS FGA

Georgia Tech at 4:36 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 20 GEORGIA TECH penalty 5 yard False Start accepted. 23 17
1st and 15 at GT 15 Corey Dennis rush for a loss of 14 yards, fumbled, forced by Serderius Bryant, recovered by GTech Ray Beno in the endzone for a SAFETY. 25 17
Harrison Butker kickoff for 66 yards returned by Jaylen Walton for 21 yards to the Miss 35.
DRIVE TOTALS: GATECH drive: 1 play -20 yards, 00:14 GATECH

Ole Miss at 4:22 MISS GT
1st and 10 at MISS 35 Bo Wallace rush for 10 yards to the Miss 45 for a 1ST down. 25 17
1st and 10 at MISS 45 I'Tavius Mathers rush for 3 yards to the Miss 48.
2nd and 7 at MISS 48 Timeout GEORGIA TECH, clock 03:27.
2nd and 7 at MISS 48 Jaylen Walton rush for 4 yards to the GTech 48.
3rd and 3 at GT 48 OLE MISS penalty 5 yard False Start on Laquon Treadwell accepted.
3rd and 8 at MISS 47 Timeout MISSISSIPPI, clock 2:29.
3rd and 8 at MISS 47 OLE MISS penalty 5 yard Delay of Game accepted.
3rd and 13 at MISS 42 Bo Wallace pass complete to Laquon Treadwell for 27 yards to the GTech 31 for a 1ST down.
1st and 10 at GT 31 Jaylen Walton rush for no gain to the GTech 31.
2nd and 10 at GT 31 Timeout GEORGIA TECH, clock 01:40.
2nd and 10 at GT 31 Bo Wallace rush for a loss of 4 yards to the GTech 35.
3rd and 14 at GT 35 Timeout GEORGIA TECH, clock 01:35.
3rd and 14 at GT 35 I'Tavius Mathers rush for no gain to the GTech 35.
4th and 14 at GT 35 Timeout MISSISSIPPI, clock 0:47.
4th and 14 at GT 35 Tyler Campbell punt for 35 yards for a touchback.
DRIVE TOTALS: OLEMISS drive: 7 plays 30 yards, 03:45 OLEMISS PUNT

Georgia Tech at 0:37 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 20 Vad Lee pass intercepted by Senquez Golson at the GTech 38, returned for 1 yard to the GTech 37. 25 17
DRIVE TOTALS: GATECH drive: 1 play 0 yards, 00:12 GATECH INT

Ole Miss at 0:25 MISS GT
1st and 10 at GT 37 Team rush for a loss of 1 yard to the GTech 38. 25 17
End of 4th Quarter

Back