Somebody on the BYU board thinks they will run up the score on us!

ThomsonJacket

I don't know
Poor misguided sole
drinking.gif
+run it up+

Some of their fans think that about every opponent. Of course some of Techs fans think the same... it's part of the territory of being a fan and a little delusional. What's frightening is that BYU's fans can't blame their delusions on drugs or alcohol (LOL).

Hey you TECH folks are a lot of fun but I have work to do. It should be a good game and I think low or at best moderate scoring.

Last thoughts for this week, BYU is always a funny team offensively because if they get into an early rythm they are just unstoppable. I think what makes them potentially dangerous is that they have been facing their own defense in practice and that alone might be their toughest test outside of USC. If that's the case, then they might be farther along offensively than they would normally be at this point. We'll see about them. I am anxious to see Ball play ball. CG is certainly not giving him an easy task out of the gate.

The other side of that is if BYU really is as disruptive and difficult on defense as we think they might be, then he'll face perhaps one of the more difficult tasks in his first game and so games against better athletes in more conventional schemes like FSU or Auburn will throw at him might not be so formidable. That's what I am hoping for in his progression anyway.

Again BYU's defense finished 90th against the run. Sorry but that just plain sucks. Look for Tech to have 200+ yards on the ground tonight and BYU to have a befuddled look as to why their gimmick defense is not slowing down smashmouth football.

By the way South Carolina gave up 170 ypg last season against the run using a 3-3-5. Wake Forest who also runs this defense gave up 160 ypg. New Mexico (the team that Mendenhall came from) gave up 170 ypg. Sorry Sports West BYU fan but this gimmick defense is not gonna do much to slow down the ground game.

Beesnut...I dont mean to flame here...BUT, they have brought in a new outstanding Def.Coordinator..All the sportscasters have been alluding to this fact today here locally..It will be a lot better defense...I do think our Veteran OL will be productive enough to hopefully establish the run...

Wouldnt it be neat to find another Tony Hollings amongst our stable of backs?? maybe a Chris Woods ?? If we could just find someone remotely close to him....

Sorry beesnut, you are wrong... go to the NCAA website and check out your stats. UNM gave up only 114.89 YPG even after facing five top 20 rushing teams in the nation. They are undersized and have little depth, nothing like BYU. The year BYU went 12-2 averaging around 200 YPG UNM held the Cougars to 84 yards. As for USC and MSU, they had tremendous losses (injuries) on those squads before their seasons even started so don't make the mistake of thinking 1 season for two teams tells a story. I look at 20 year averages and what you call a gimmick might stop us dead cold in our tracks if we think that we can just push them around. Nebraska thought that last year as well and both KSU and ISU with very similar defenses shut the Huskers and most other running attacks down. ISU lost several players in the second half of their season and fell apart, but make no mistake about it, if you have the players it works. I still don't get the notion that if something works it's a gimmick!

Back