Somebody Should Speak To The Macon TD Club, If Not...

I called King Kemp today, but he was out of town... his contact number is..

President King Kemper:
Phone: (478) 750-7507

We should all call.. I plan to call again tomorrow.

I'll do it. Since it's in Macon, I'll start with "Hot enough for y'all?"

Ahso.. all I know is he is the president of the club.. for some reason I want to say he is an Attorney in Macon.. but I could be mistaken..

I just wanted to know if it was a decison on their part, or an invitation decline on the part of Tech..

King is a local commercial real estate guy, and a friend of mine. King is the immediate past board president of the club (and an Auburn grad). I spoke with him about this a few weeks ago.

One of the reasons that the Macon TD Club has been so successful getting good speakers is the fact that Bobby Pope is very involved with the club. Pope is the AD at Mercer University in Macon, which helps get these coaches to come in town.

King said that he and Pope talked with Gailey's secretary three times and Gailey refused to come. They tried every possible scenario for dates to accomodate Gailey - but he wouldn't budge.

King mentioned that O'Leary will most likely be coming this year for one of the open dates.

It is getting tougher and tougher to get the coaches in to speak. The $1,000 fee is nothing to them with their high salaries. Auburn isn't coming, UNC turned us down, Grobe came last year, but not this year, etc., etc.

To be honest... if I was making $900k a year, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a $1,000 speaking engagement either. Especially with the things hanging over my head that Gailey has.

Sucks for the club members, but that is the state of college football right now.

Originally posted by BankerBuzz:
King is a local commercial real estate guy, and a friend of mine. King is the immediate past board president of the club (and an Auburn grad). I spoke with him about this a few weeks ago.

One of the reasons that the Macon TD Club has been so successful getting good speakers is the fact that Bobby Pope is very involved with the club. Pope is the AD at Mercer University in Macon, which helps get these coaches to come in town.

King said that he and Pope talked with Gailey's secretary three times and Gailey refused to come. They tried every possible scenario for dates to accomodate Gailey - but he wouldn't budge.

King mentioned that O'Leary will most likely be coming this year for one of the open dates.

It is getting tougher and tougher to get the coaches in to speak. The $1,000 fee is nothing to them with their high salaries. Auburn isn't coming, UNC turned us down, Grobe came last year, but not this year, etc., etc.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thanks for the response and great explanation BankerBuzz ... and I had forgotten about Bobby Pope .. I remember him from his sports announcing days.. I think he was with WMAZ there in Macon.. good to hear he is still around...

Bobby is a great guy and Macon/Mercer is lucky to have him. He's also the longest-tenured AD in the Atlantic-Sun Conference (something like 15 years or more).

BTW, We do have Amato and Friedgen coming this year - some of you might want to make the trip down to see the Fridge.

Originally posted by BEESerk:
To be honest... if I was making $900k a year, I wouldn't be wasting my time on a $1,000 speaking engagement either. Especially with the things hanging over my head that Gailey has.

Sucks for the club members, but that is the state of college football right now.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
WOW....you would make a GREAT future Ga. Tech football coach with that opinion. Just the type Braine looks for.
grin.gif

BOO

Back