Spaz as new DC rumor gaining traction.

Would he be able to hire his own assistants or be (allegedly) forced to keep the current staff?

Should we bring in a Trooper Taylor to handle recruiting/bagman duties? The NCAAs gonna hammer us for something anyways. Might as well pull some talent in along the way.

Relax, I'm joking. (?)

I like it if true. Guy knows how to put a good product on the field without stellar recruiting.
The comparison to Groh isn't really that great. Groh hadn't been a college coordinator in a quarter of a century when he came here.
I would prefer an up and comer, but I would like Spaz.

I like it if true. Guy knows how to put a good product on the field without stellar recruiting.
The comparison to Groh isn't really that great. Groh hadn't been a college coordinator in a quarter of a century when he came here.
I would prefer an up and comer, but I would like Spaz.

Agreed.

We could do a whole lot worse than Spaz. He's a pretty safe pick.

Do you know what washed up means?

Apparently it means a guy who spent 10 years as an effective DC then had an unsuccessful 4-year stint as a head coach. Clearly he no longer knows how to be a defensive coordinator.

It's a good thing no team was stupid enough to go after that washed up head coach Dick LeBeau.

Apparently it means a guy who spent 10 years as an effective DC then had an unsuccessful 4-year stint as a head coach. Clearly he no longer knows how to be a defensive coordinator.

It's a good thing no team was stupid enough to go after that washed up head coach Dick LeBeau.

I also can't believe in 1996 and 2000 the New England Patriots picked a washed up coach that had a horrible 4 year run at Cleveland after being a DC for a number of years.

Spaziani scoring defense national ranking as a DC...finished ahead of GT in 8 of those 10 years:

2008- 17 (GT was 28- Wommack)
2007- 20 (GT was 21- Tenuta)
2006- 14 (GT was 27- Tenuta)
2005- 7 (GT was 23- Tenuta)
2004- 12 (GT was 21- Tenuta)
2003- 60 (GT was 27- Tenuta)
2002- 23 (GT was 27- Tenuta)
2001- 19 (GT was 37- Roof)
2000- 51 (GT was 21- Roof)
1999- 37 (GT was 93- Roof)

Spaz would be good. He was a great DC under Spag.

I am not sure he would create that division that Groh requested.

StinGTalk needs more people that will bitch no matter who the DC is

I want the second half ACCCG D. So I want the second half ACCCG DC.

Spaz sucks, just saying, individually, as a man.

Do we want another bald headed mustachioed yankee Italian recruiting the studs of rural Georgia?

I want the second half ACCCG D. So I want the second half ACCCG DC.

Spaz sucks, just saying, individually, as a man.

Do we want another bald headed mustachioed yankee Italian recruiting the studs of rural Georgia?

Another? When did we have one before? We had an yankee Irishman (O'Leary) and he did fine. What makes you think that Kelley is anything but a failure? He's been there while 2 DC's were fired and I haven't seen anything special from the secondary in five consecutive years.

Spaz also brings some recruiting outside of the duds of rural Georgia. Places where we might not be behind Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson in being the school of choice. And to the morons who want to ignore every washed out head coach or are stuck on the 4-3, you need to get a clue. We need someone who knows how to teach and develop kids in the college environment. Your supposed up and comers have all been vetted by the big boys and were found to be insufficient.

Another? When did we have one before? We had an yankee Irishman (O'Leary) and he did fine. What makes you think that Kelley is anything but a failure? He's been there while 2 DC's were fired and I haven't seen anything special from the secondary in five consecutive years.

Spaz also brings some recruiting outside of the duds of rural Georgia. Places where we might not be behind Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson in being the school of choice. And to the morons who want to ignore every washed out head coach or are stuck on the 4-3, you need to get a clue. We need someone who knows how to teach and develop kids in the college environment. Your supposed up and comers have all been vetted by the big boys and were found to be insufficient.

I agree with almost everything here. I think Kelly's best role with us was ST coach. The DB's were supposed to be our strength but each regressed except J. Thomas.

I'm not sure how much recruiting cache Spaziani has though. It seems like he'd take us from taking low-level diamonds in the rough from the South to taking low-level diamonds in the rough from the NE. :dunno:

I agree with almost everything here. I think Kelly's best role with us was ST coach. The DB's were supposed to be our strength but each regressed except J. Thomas.

I'm not sure how much recruiting cache Spaziani has though. It seems like he'd take us from taking low-level diamonds in the rough from the South to taking low-level diamonds in the rough from the NE. :dunno:

I honestly don't know his recruiting history, but those kids in the NE go to better high schools in general, so we might have shots at better than low level players. What I like about him is what he did with those low level diamonds in the rough. Something that an up and comer at a football factory doesn't have experience in doing.

I honestly don't know his recruiting history, but those kids in the NE go to better high schools in general, so we might have shots at better than low level players. What I like about him is what he did with those low level diamonds in the rough. Something that an up and comer at a football factory doesn't have experience in doing.

I totally agree with what you've said in your last 2 posts, especially this one here.

I would much rather try someone outside the ACC circle of coaches...

That does have merit, where should we look? We're not getting a proven DC from a PAC 12, Big XII, SEC, or Big Ten, so that leaves ACC and lower or taking a shot in the dark at the next Derek Dooley.

True. I wish we could get out of the position of having to make it work with low-level guys. The factories talent their way to success. If they have any coaching acumen whatsoever they turn out great defenses. Oh well, such is life.

I envied TCU's model but, unless I'm mistaken, I think they use JUCO's more than we can.

Spaziani would be a fine consolation prize IMHO. Hopefully he can hire a staff he wants and works in some strong recruiters.

What is the source for this ass-hattery?

I haven't seen this rumor anywhere.

I envied TCU's model but, unless I'm mistaken, I think they use JUCO's more than we can.

GT should try to use JUCO's more. It's much, much easier to get into GT from a JUCO than it is to be admitted as a freshman. The catch: you need to talk Calc I and II at the JUCO, which kids wouldn't normally do.

How to get around this? Work with the Hill to eliminate the requirement of Calc I and II to transfer in. If Management doesn't require Calc I and II anymore, why is it required to transfer in? That's probably an easier battle to win than the exception battle.

Back