Special Teams Performance today

Birr is now 5-5 from 20-29 and 1-5 from 40 and above. Hasn't attempted from 30-39 yet.
Somebody, may have been TECH can't remember, employed a retired Morten Anderson to come on as a temp and work with the kicker for a few weeks. Some kind of personalized coaching from a veteran kicker, one on one, would probably be worth a shot. Practice man practice.

Birr has to improve >40yd range. Period.

Shanahan needs to get more consistent. We have been spoiled by great punters in the past (Dyke, Harvin). I’m still not sold on the Aussie style punting.

It’s weird because special teams was great against Syracuse (except for Birr, naturally).
I’m not the kid’s mom, but he missed a kick that is routinely missed in college. A 44-yarder, was good on kickoffs, XP, and converted an onside kick for us. I suppose he didn’t play perfect…any maybe not great. He shouldn’t have been forced into the position of making a 44-harder to begin with if Key had better clock management.

Since we are discussing special teams, did we block the punt at the start of the 2nd quarter that UNC “missed”?

It was hard to tell what happened.

/

Since we are discussing special teams, did we block the punt at the start of the 2nd quarter that UNC “missed”?

It was hard to tell what happened.

/
If you are talking about the missed Carolina field goal I couldn’t tell. Watching on TV that grade Z production didn’t show it clearly and the announcers didn’t say.

If you are talking about the missed Carolina field goal I couldn’t tell. Watching on TV that grade Z production didn’t show it clearly and the announcers didn’t say.

Yes that one.

Maybe a double tap sound. Ball spun odd like it was touched.

/

Face it. The kicker is like a golfer who can pound a ball but only hit the fairway 2 times a round and the rest are dead.

The lack of focus is a staff issue

The amount of small penalties in all phases. Staff issue.

Something is off right now with with a position coach or two.

7-5 ceiling. 6-6 is a possibility.

The luster is off our coaching staff. I still like them and am rooting for them but there is enough data to show that they tolerate less than excellence and allow holes all over the program. We shouldn’t have to clean up special teams. Key got the job because we couldn’t make extra points and had multiple punts blocked. Now, we can’t cover kicks and miss FG’s every other team takes for granted. And that we have a backup QB that they don’t allow to run the team is damming on the staff.

We are now deep into the season so what we see is our team as they have been coached. In my mind it’s less than I had hoped. Sure, we are 5-2. But our schedule has been weak. We have not played a currently ranked team yet and know one is even considering ranking us based on our performances.

I doubt more that a quarter of college teams are taking 40-plus yard FGs as gimmes. College kickers are notoriously inconsistent and Birr was very good for us last year.

What a pathetic performance from ST's today. Another missed chip shot FG, Horrible kick and punt coverage. Punter mishandling snap and barely getting kick off. We were very fortunate these mistakes didn't come back to haunt us. We really need to work on our coverage teams. My guess is we are near the bottom of FB1 in yardage allowed on kick and punt returns.
Your return teams are generally representative of your overall team talent.

The luster is off our coaching staff. I still like them and am rooting for them but there is enough data to show that they tolerate less than excellence and allow holes all over the program. We shouldn’t have to clean up special teams. Key got the job because we couldn’t make extra points and had multiple punts blocked. Now, we can’t cover kicks and miss FG’s every other team takes for granted. And that we have a backup QB that they don’t allow to run the team is damming on the staff.

We are now deep into the season so what we see is our team as they have been coached. In my mind it’s less than I had hoped. Sure, we are 5-2. But our schedule has been weak. We have not played a currently ranked team yet and know one is even considering ranking us based on our performances.
This is really bothering me. I’m gonna start grabbing data. Every other team can’t be perfect on 45+ yarders.

Back