StinGTalk Prediction Contest kaput?

cyptomcat

Hibernating
@BeeStorm @ThisIsAtlanta so you can't just take the scripts and put them on a plain vanilla page? I thought you guys wrote software for a living?

I feel pretty sure I could get it up and running.
To be honest, in my case, I am trying to limit time I spend on ST, not spend even more time. It was definitely out of my wheelhouse (backend programming vs forum software). I could invest time to try figure it out, but I am trying to avoid that.

I think beestorm should let you fix it if you say you can get it up and running this week!

I am not gonna do the betting challenge either. I can share my scripts if someone else wants to take it up. Even that one would need work, because apparently 5dimes (source used by my scripts) is shutting down and coming up as a different website.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Sad deal for a lot of ST posters. The board has some really good pickers. It's hard to get 10 points every week on avg., which is what it takes to win.

coit

Y’all got any more of that D Fence?
How many games do we usually pick each week? 5?

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I think it was 5. I'm going to miss the betting thread. It's more fun when you don't lose real money. I raked in that thing last year. I hit like two 3 or 4 bet parlays in a row.

coit

I think it was 5. I'm going to miss the betting thread. It's more fun when you don't lose real money. I raked in that thing last year. I hit like two 3 or 4 bet parlays in a row.
I was thinking of setting the prediction contest up in Google Forms.

GoGATech

Big Dummy
I was thinking of setting the prediction contest up in Google Forms.
It would have to be a short answer form and you'd have to go back and tally the data yourself because you have to take spreads into account if you're planning to do it the way we used to.

@coit maybe something like this:

Last edited:

coit

It would have to be a short answer form and you'd have to go back and tally the data yourself because you have to take spreads into account if you're planning to do it the way we used to.

@coit maybe something like this:

Yeah that's what I have going. I'm thinking of how to process the data with the spreads and assign a score.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
It's 5 including the GT game.

For the ST prediction contest, the question would be GT +11 vs Florida State. The answer aiming to guess the game result would be a number like -100 to 100. You grade it for two things:
  • did the user pick the correct winner (1 point)
  • did the user pick the correct spread (2 points)

Yeah that's what I have going. I'm thinking of how to process the data with the spreads and assign a score.
Last time I did processing with google sheets, I just used javascript, but you can always just download it as a csv and process it with a python script.

coit

It's 5 including the GT game.

For the ST prediction contest, the question would be GT +11 vs Florida State. The answer aiming to guess the game result would be a number like -100 to 100. You grade it for two things:
  • did the user pick the correct winner (1 point)
  • did the user pick the correct spread (2 points)

Last time I did processing with google sheets, I just used javascript, but you can always just download it as a csv and process it with a python script.
I'm being stubborn and trying to code it in a single set of nested IF statements. I'm not sure if that is possible. Struggling with the logic for addressing predicting a favorite to win but not beat the spread.

cyptomcat

Hibernating
I'm being stubborn and trying to code it in a single set of nested IF statements. I'm not sure if that is possible. Struggling with the logic for addressing predicting a favorite to win but not beat the spread.
It gets weird because of the sign conventions for the contest. Definitely a bit tricky, but here is my try going for it on my phone ignoring ties:

Let's say GT+10 vs FSU

pick : predicted number, 11, means GT loses by 11, minus means GT wins
spread: pre-game spread, +10, always a positive number from the perspective of the underdog
result: game result, +20 meaning GT lost by 20, -5 GT won by 5
score: 0, how many points user got

// 1 point for game result
If((result < 0 AND pick < 0) OR (result > 0 AND pick > 0)) { score = score + 1 }

// 2 points for spread
If(result < 0) {
// GT won, cover by default
if (pick < spread) { score = score + 2 }
} else if (result > 0) {
// FSU won
if (((spread <= result) AND (spread <= pick)) OR ((spread > result) AND (spread > pick))) {
score = score + 2
}
}

You can write it more compact by comparing differences but then it would be more difficult to read.

Last edited: