Stingtalk Prediction Contest Poll

gtfan

Sith Lord
Staff member
Just a few question regarding the prediction contest. If you have any contest suggestions just post it at the end of the thread.

I completed the poll, but I wanted to say publicly that it was well done and very enjoyable. I really got into researching the teams each week. I had to convince my wife (don't think I succeded) that I wasn't gambling.

I'm curious from other participants what their methodology was in their picks. Gut feeling? Any specific strategy? Personally I used my own--very unscientific--formula which included average points scored, points against, and some other variances along with formula changes as my "gut" dictated.

Anyone care to share?

I agree with beeware (as usual) and also spellingbee, who I think posed some interesting questions. I also would like some pointers; I don't enjoy being down around 25 -- 30 as I was and need some help. By the way, my only son was the hardest to convince that I was not gambling.
He was raised in a Baptist environment and has trouble with such. I trained him and now must work harder to advance his true education.
wink.gif

Great contest. No particular formula, just wild guesses based on matchups. Some good hits and some "what was I thinking?!" Actually, I do not gamble and never had anything to lose. Just good ole fun. Enjoyed it!

The three people we need to hear from are

1. Dore-Dawg 62.1%
2. 2ndgenjacket 61.9%
3. GTadamni 61.1%

All three were able to separate themselves from the group and I believe had Iowa beaten USC GTadamni would have been the winner.

So if these three want to give some pointers I think we are all ears. The numbers show that when betting against the "spread" it is an uphill climb.

I encourage members to invite their friends even if they are "fans" of other schools to participate as it is open to all.

*however if they are NOT GT fans caution them to leave their smack at home b/c if you lose your posting privileges you also lose your ability to participate in the contest (that is the way the program is set up)

I didn't have a specific technique...just have always been pretty good at handicapping games...and have won a few of these contests before.

But I made a couple of tactical errors that really cost me. Once I had gotten the lead and stayed around the top 5 or so, I got a little conservative for a few weeks and it really cost me. Then as I slipped behind, I got aggressive and got back in the top 5 but I had to be too aggressive in the bowl selections (I would have needed a home run) and I fell out of the top 5.

But the biggest thing that cost me all season is that I do not like to pick against TECH... I still picked TECH to win and even cover most of the time. This was an albatross that Dore-dawg did not have....and absolutely played a big part in his win.

Congrats to the winners and the administrators of the contest.

techsamillion,
You really brought it on strong with your bowl picks. Sounds like your son needs to lighten up. Hopefully the "damage" is not permanent.
grin.gif

Great contest and easy. No specific formula just what I knew and information I saw and read concerning all the teams.

Did not get involved until the last month and a half of the season and really did not do badly! Looking forward to 2003 and starting at the beginning of the season.

Here is my technique.
laugh.gif
I am the worlds worst at this because I will not can not pick a team I don't want to win. So, you might say I'm doomed in these prediction contest. They sure are fun though.
wink.gif
I'm not in it for the glory. It's just fun to play.

GO Jackets!

Back