Stream of Penn State v Army 2015?

ramblin' wagon

Fluke-like
Ban Hammer'd
Second drive was killed by a dead ball clipping foul (lol). 15 and the down.
Gotta be one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Clipping is called. The Referee says repeat 1st down. Army runs a play and after officials huddle and say that the previously foul was a dead ball foul and it is now 3rd down. I am not a rules expert but that can't be proper officiating.

beej67

new around here
Gotta be one of the weirdest things I have ever seen. Clipping is called. The Referee says repeat 1st down. Army runs a play and after officials huddle and say that the previously foul was a dead ball foul and it is now 3rd down. I am not a rules expert but that can't be proper officiating.
Just the fact that they called it "clipping after the play was over" instead of a late hit was silly.

Yeah, very weird.

beej67

new around here
@beej67 if you haven't seen Last Chance U season 2 on Netflix, it's out now, and in episode 4 they film a defensive sideline that has to play against an option team. It makes me smile.
Watched it tonight. Thanks. That was pretty funny.

I think I'd rather watch a series that just runs around and films Holmes's opponents.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Watched it tonight. Thanks. That was pretty funny.

I think I'd rather watch a series that just runs around and films Holmes's opponents.
They do an ep later in the season, I think 6 (It's called "The Curse"), where they spend half the time at the other team's place. I found myself wanting more of that, now, as well. I'm still trying to find the blues tracks they used, too.

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Would certainly be great to have him assume Army's point total was indicative of his scheme, but it's such a wildcard to anticipate what a DC with this much time off will decide to do in his first game against CPJ. Just the last few years we've seen OOC teams with extra prep before their first look at CPJ get shredded (UK, MSU) and completely stifle us (ND). We don't know who he's consulted with, what he took away from the Army game, or what game film he's watching - for instance there's some support for the theory that our demolition of VT last year was in part because Foster wasn't ready for midline or QB follows up the middle. So is he gonna guess that MJ is starting and CPJ will have the same gameplan as against VT? Or is he going to watch film from the last few years that were almost exclusively JT5 outside the 5 yard line? Just so many different ways it could go.

Ideal case for me is he is focused on a base set without a lot of variations or adjustments ready. I trust CPJ to outchess 90% of the DCs out there after the first few possessions.

Beeski

Dodd-Like
What a wildcard we could throw into the mix by having Lucas Johnson come out for a few plays / series and start flinging the ball to Ricky, Brad, Qua and Lynch. Better yet, have MJ and Lucas in the huddle, one lines up at A-Back, and then switch with the QB depending on how the D lines up. (delete this post in an hour).

beej67

new around here
Would certainly be great to have him assume Army's point total was indicative of his scheme, but it's such a wildcard to anticipate what a DC with this much time off will decide to do in his first game against CPJ. Just the last few years we've seen OOC teams with extra prep before their first look at CPJ get shredded (UK, MSU) and completely stifle us (ND).
Well, we know they're not prepping like ND did. ND took a field coach, demoted him to the office, gave him a 6 figure salary and 365 days, and told him his only job was to come up with a GT game plan.

jacket67

Dodd-Like
I expect Shoop to rely on the VT game film to prepare for MJ, assuming we get through camp with him as the starter. The play selection for that game was fairly limited, but CPJ might take the same approach for a season opener with a new QB. I don't expect to see anything flashy or a surprise QB substitution for this game. That probably gives UT an advantage, having a better idea of what Tech will do on offense, than what CPJ anticipates from their defense. If they successfully commit to stopping MJ and DM between the tackles early on, we'll see progressively more of the playbook. Hopefully, our defense will keep things close in case CPJ needs to adjust.

beej67

new around here
I expect Shoop to rely on the VT game film to prepare for MJ, assuming we get through camp with him as the starter. The play selection for that game was fairly limited, but CPJ might take the same approach for a season opener with a new QB. I don't expect to see anything flashy or a surprise QB substitution for this game. That probably gives UT an advantage, having a better idea of what Tech will do on offense, than what CPJ anticipates from their defense. If they successfully commit to stopping MJ and DM between the tackles early on, we'll see progressively more of the playbook. Hopefully, our defense will keep things close in case CPJ needs to adjust.
That's all pretty straight up conventional wisdom. The question is how Shoop plans on doing that. Shoop's plan to stop Army from doing what amounted to almost exactly the same game plan was to rely purely on the interior DL to stop the dive, not only schematically, but all the way down to the alignment itself.

Does Tennessee have a line advantage over us that's equivalent, or exceeding, the line advantage that PSU had over Army?

cyclejacket

Not A Fan of Biden BS
Penn State sometimes defending with an odd front, base 5-2 look but probably with 4-3 personnel. Other times in a base 4-3 look, when they expect pass, dropping into zone. Sometimes a 4-3 with a very deep MLB, sorta the UGA/Miami defense but deeper on the MLB.

Sometimes they're lining up in the 4-3 with the deep MLB and then rotating the field backer up into the line to make the 5-2. This seems very dumb to me because your spacing is all dorked up. They aren't doing it like VT does, where the end starts wide and the backer jumps into the gap in the line. Also, when VT does the presnap defensive motion, they are in a base 4-3 without a deep MLB. If Tennessee does this to us, watch for big gains up the middle as we shoot for the 2nd level block. Post motion, their formation is literally a 5 man line, one LB tight to the play, and the MLB like 7 yards back. Dear god please line up this way against us.

Army personnel groups were either base personnel or heavy with a TE, usually base. Formation was either base, tight, or a tightened version of base with one WR in and one out. No trips or twins.

Army playbook for the first half is triple, midline, counter, belly, qb follow, sometimes twirl motion, rocket. Called maybe 2 pass plays both of which ended in sacks, so no actual attempts.

As mentioned before, first drive was a fumbled snap on the first play.

Second drive was killed by a dead ball clipping foul (lol). 15 and the down.

Third drive killed by bad interior blocking on a triple.

Fourth drive fumbled a pitch (unforced) on a triple that was going to go for yards.

Fifth drive fumbled another pitch on the triple due to conditions.

Sixth drive is one play to run out the clock before half after a PSU field goal.

First half ends 10-0 Penn State. PSU's offense was pretty much trash. Army able to rip off a couple of okay runs (20ish yards) but kept shooting themselves in the foot.

If they line up the MLB deep I expect Dedrick Mills to go for two bills.

JacketFan77

Bokonon High Priest
You ever play Bloodbowl, 77?

edit:

Here's a Treant Lineman. Wood elf teams could field two. They were great linemen but if the other team ever managed to knock them down they couldn't stand back up without a bunch of help, and the rest of the elves were pussies so it was hard to get them upright again.

Have not, but it's now definitely on my radar.

beej67

new around here
Have not, but it's now definitely on my radar.
It's a neat intro to Warhammer gaming because you don't have to buy five thousand dollars worth of miniatures to play. Basically just 12 minis and a board and some dice. Also, there's no crazy terrain or whatever. They used to sell the whole thing in a package, but I think they quit making it. Might be able to scare one up on Ebay. The stock set had orcs and humans in it I think, but there were probably something like ten different races you could play.

The fun part about the game is running seasons. If you can somehow find 8 people to play in a league, then someone acts as commissioner and runs the league, arranges a schedule, and everyone round robins, with standings and such. Unlike other warhammer games, each of your players can get XP for doing cool öööö, like scoring touchdowns or murdering other players on the field. You get money from the gate for each game, which you can spend to buy new free agents and stuff. The XPs cause your players to rank up and get special abilities or bonuses, but they can also get niggling injuries (permanent drawbacks) during the run of play as well. I used to paint bandages on the guys who had injuries for instance. It's a hoot.

The strategy is very unlike actual football, although there are linemen and such. I ran orcs and goblins (Ramblin Wreck from Goblin Tech) and also had a troll I used to anchor the line. On offense, I'd throw a goblin downfield, then throw the ball to the goblin and have him run it in for a score. Lots of weird öööö like that in the game. Mostly the game is just beating the öööö out of each other. My roommate played wood elves (see: Treant) and while he was very good at scoring, and could win some games, he could barely make it through the season because his roster kept getting killed. Instead of upgrades and such he spent a lot of his money just buying new elves to come in and get beat up.

The undead were a brutal team, because every time they killed an opposing player they'd reanimate him as a skeleton and add him to their own bench.

You could buy team doctors which would reduce injury chances, cheerleaders which would increase your attendance, etc.

Games took about two hours to complete. Looked something like this:

This is a pretty good paint job on the base orc squad that comes with the board:

This is the guy I used to use to throw goblins around:

Last edited:

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
It's a neat intro to Warhammer gaming because you don't have to buy five thousand dollars worth of miniatures to play. Basically just 12 minis and a board and some dice. Also, there's no crazy terrain or whatever. They used to sell the whole thing in a package, but I think they quit making it. Might be able to scare one up on Ebay. The stock set had orcs and elves in it I think, but there were probably something like ten different races you could play.

The fun part about the game is running seasons. If you can somehow find 8 people to play in a league, then someone acts as commissioner and runs the league, arranges a schedule, and everyone round robins, with standings and such. Unlike other warhammer games, each of your players can get XP for doing cool öööö, like scoring touchdowns or murdering other players on the field. You get money from the gate for each game, which you can spend to buy new free agents and stuff. The XPs cause your players to rank up and get special abilities or bonuses, but they can also get niggling injuries (permanent drawbacks) during the run of play as well. I used to paint bandages on the guys who had injuries for instance. It's a hoot.

The strategy is very unlike actual football, although there are linemen and such. I ran orcs and goblins (Ramblin Wreck from Goblin Tech) and also had a troll I used to anchor the line. On offense, I'd throw a goblin downfield, then throw the ball to the goblin and have him run it in for a score. Lots of weird öööö like that in the game. Mostly the game is just beating the öööö out of each other. My roommate played wood elves (see: Treant) and while he was very good at scoring, and could win some games, he could barely make it through the season because his roster kept getting killed. Instead of upgrades and such he spent a lot of his money just buying new elves to come in and get beat up.

The undead were a brutal team, because every time they killed an opposing player they'd reanimate him as a skeleton and add him to their own bench.

You could buy team doctors which would reduce injury chances, cheerleaders which would increase your attendance, etc.

Games took about two hours to complete. Looked something like this:

eneq

Junior Varsity Lurker
That clipping call on Army at 13:55 was total bullshit