Strength and Conditioning......

Patriot

Varsity Lurker
other than recruiting is one thing that I think needs to be addressed in the offseason(NOT just b/c we have had a number of injuries). I just think that we are not as strong as we could be at LB/DL along with other positions. I do believe that our O'line was one area where we looked like we could over match people at times.
It is my opinion that we will never be able to recruit neck and neck with FSU/UGA ect....
So, one area where we can work to gain an edge is in the weightroom!! I don't know if we need a new cordinator or if we need more committment in this area BUT... it has me worried!!!!!

The S&C program has been mentioned before on this board and the Hive as a potential problem. Some people have been grumbling. We'll see.

Disagree a little on the LBs. I think they are in good shape S&C wise, they are just undersized. The same is true to some extant for the DLs as well.

I have noticed the same thing Patriot and techsamillion have suggested, maybe our players are not conditioned properly.

I will add one caveat, technique is also involved and can make it appear the problem is lack of strength instead of lack of technique.

There is one good way to determine this if someone has enough tapes of the games and they are against teams with near equal ability.

Study the offense and then study the defense. If the offense is pushing people around, and the defense is being pushed around, it would tend to indicate the defense is using poor technique. If both are insufficient, it would tend to indicate a lack of strength.

Too get a good comparison, the tapes studied should be between teams with near equal size of players.

wink.gif

Originally posted by ncjacket:
techsamillion, I don't know anything about S&C either, but I do agree that I can't remember too many games where the more physical team lost. What I don't know is whether issues we seem to have had the last couple of years are due to S&C or what we have to work with. Best I can tell, you can only do so much with guys if they just aren't big enough. Other than the left side of our O-line, we aren't as big as most of the teams we play. Our biggest LB is only about 230 for example. You can be faster/quicker and still get it done to some level, but eventually it will catch up, especially if they are as quick as you but bigger.

What I hope we can do over the next few years is get to where we have a 300+ lb O-line, a couple of 290+ lb DTs, DEs at the 250+ who can run, LBs at least 230 (OLB) and 250 or so ILB. If that were the case I don't think we'd hear near as much about our S&C program.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good observations nc, you always show excellent insight and are a good balancer of thougts in a gentlemenly fashion. Thanks. Keep up the good work.

Here I go out on a limb again but I am in agreement with your concern Patriot. I don't know s--- from shinola in the weight room except for the scales. I can put those babies into a pretty good work out. After that I am ignorant and inexperienced, but two things stand out in my mind.

1. It seems that when a team is outstandingly strengthened and conditioned people/sportswriters (am I saying sportswriters aren't people? hmmmm); anyway, no. But there seems to be at least occasional reference to the S & C program when they are above average. I know that the guy at Georgia, formerly at FSU has always been given recognition and credit for a superb job. Do I want anyone killed in an S&C workout; no absolutely not. But I speak beyond that.
I know that we ourselves some years back had a man who just simply was well known and properly lauded for his performance in this capacity and the teams he put on the field. I am ashamed not to remember his name, and somehow I wonder if he did not die tragically? Sorry if I am far off base here.Anyway, it does seem that S&C programs get attention when they are unusually effective.

2. In football you either push people around or you get pushed around. A game often becomes almost a "tag or tackle" situation. I realize there are traps and misdirections, etc., but still all in all it is shove or get shoved. It just seems that too many people push us around. Ipso facto: something must be wrong somewhere.

Okay, I guess it is pile on time now, and somebody is itching to educate me, so (shudder) come on in. As long as you are a Tech Guy/Gal, I love you anyhow.

techsamillion, I don't know anything about S&C either, but I do agree that I can't remember too many games where the more physical team lost. What I don't know is whether issues we seem to have had the last couple of years are due to S&C or what we have to work with. Best I can tell, you can only do so much with guys if they just aren't big enough. Other than the left side of our O-line, we aren't as big as most of the teams we play. Our biggest LB is only about 230 for example. You can be faster/quicker and still get it done to some level, but eventually it will catch up, especially if they are as quick as you but bigger.

What I hope we can do over the next few years is get to where we have a 300+ lb O-line, a couple of 290+ lb DTs, DEs at the 250+ who can run, LBs at least 230 (OLB) and 250 or so ILB. If that were the case I don't think we'd hear near as much about our S&C program.

I think that the conditioning aspect of the S/C is the most important part.

I think that's a big reason why we lost our edge after half-time in several games.

Also, we don't exactly have the depth at several positions for subs to be brought in and out because our players are tired.

Originally posted by yellowfalcon56:

Also, we don't exactly have the depth at several positions for subs to be brought in and out because our players are tired.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Have to agree. And this makes conditioning even more important.
It also means that several years of good recruiting classes are essential.

BABY RUTH IN POOL COMING UP!!!

I needed some strength and conditioning while walking back to my car, up the hill, away from Sanford & Son stadium, after the historical lifetime thrashing that we took by the magnitude of 51-7, from them dawgs.

And we will all need strength and conditioning before this unnecessary downward spiral in our program is completed.

BW you need some S & C but between your ears so that you may finally understand that we have gotten your message why not be a man and go directly to DB and CG and tell them what you think and be done with it and leave us here on ST alone. I think most people have gotten your message.

Originally posted by beeware:
I needed some strength and conditioning while walking back to my car, up the hill, away from Sanford & Son stadium, after the historical lifetime thrashing that we took by the magnitude of 51-7, from them dawgs.

beeware: "Finish the Drill"
wink.gif

Your buddy,
techsamillion

Back