Student Enthusiasm

thracer

Varsity Lurker
My personal experience was that the campus was absolutely rocking before the game. There were live bands playing all over at the fraternity houses. Music, noise, and pretty girls were everywhere. Weather was perfect for tailgating, and the campus had a pretty big-time feel. I was really proud.

And then the game started.

I almost wonder if a lot of students get so caught up in the pre-game partying that they end up missing the game altogether. Especially for a 4 PM kick.

18in32

Petard Hoister
I almost wonder if a lot of students get so caught up in the pre-game partying that they end up missing the game altogether. Especially for a 4 PM kick.
Maybe we should try some noon kick off's. Students and fans might respond better to that.

LeonardWood

Dodd-Like
a ton of student seating empty, so glad that the ones who showed were loud.... FYI...The announced attendance of 41,219 was the lowest for a homecoming game since 1994, when homecoming was celebrated on the second-to-last game of a season in which coach Bill Lewis was fired the previous week.

We are in the Bill Lewis ERA PartII

Link
https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/notes-from-georgia-tech-loss-pittsburgh/Dl8wWdOpwJFW8sP8U8b79I/
imagine that, students moving to good seats that alumni arent filling

thracer

Varsity Lurker
Oh yeah, one other thing. Bring back flashcards. What a party that section was. Lot of potential for application of new technology now in the age of vaping.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
Young people don’t have a problem with money down
Seriously, the geezers have no clue how to relate to the kids these days. I talked to the dad of one our 2020 recruits and he said the recruits absolutely loved the money down and he got a kick out of the young kids running around collecting all the fake dollars (family atmosphere he liked, I guess).

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
I've told the story on here once before but I thought the money down was cheesy AF during the first game and especially when we lost against Citadel. But then during the UNC game, I noticed three different groups of young kids (probably about 5 - 7 years old in 2 of the groups and the other group had about a 12'ish year old boy and a girl about 10 or so). All 3 of those groups would jump up and down on 3rd down and start yelling "It's money down! It's money down!"

It was at that point that my opinion of it changed because we are, by and large, a very old fan base. If we have any hope for the future of GT sports, we have to keep the youngsters interested in pulling for the white & gold and not being corrupted by the devils wearing red to our east. If the kids and recruits like this, then I'm all for it. It's not going to stop me from purchasing my seats and going to the games and if it brings in more talent, make it happen!

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
what is the block seating and what was it before?
Gross oversimplification: student tickets, even in blocks, used to be distributed on a game by game basis. Circa 2009 they went to season tickets for students and it's not simple to give your ticket to someone if you can't go.

If you're asking what blocks are, it's organizations, like Greeks, getting a blocked off section of seats so they all sit together.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
Gross oversimplification: student tickets, even in blocks, used to be distributed on a game by game basis. Circa 2009 they went to season tickets for students and it's not simple to give your ticket to someone if you can't go.

If you're asking what blocks are, it's organizations, like Greeks, getting a blocked off section of seats so they all sit together.
Blocks have not been the problem this season. The student section end divided into blocks has mostly filled up. The general seating in the south endzone has looked atrocious. The GDIs are really letting down the rest of us.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Young people don’t have a problem with money down
I have to keep telling my dad that if gray uniforms or money down or juice crews can help us get a DL and OL competitive with the factory schools then it doesn't matter what we think. I'd rather win.

What we ought to have is some sort of "money down" fan pledge where fans commit before the game to a certain donation per money down stop. So, it you pledge $5 per money down stop and we have 10 money down third down stops per game, you donate $50 to St. Jude or another charity

BainbridgeJacket

F*** Joe Biden
Blocks have not been the problem this season. The student section end divided into blocks has mostly filled up. The general seating in the south endzone has looked atrocious. The GDIs are really letting down the rest of us.
There used to be blocks in the south end zone prior to 2009.

moochie

Varsity Lurker
The south stands are awful and need to be either covered, razed or turned into some sort of premium area. It looks awful on tv, the recruits are looking straight at it, and it allows opposing fans in the corner an area where they are louder than we are. A chophouse style party deck would be awesome. Anything but what is there now.
AMEN x 10!!! spice it up, flow the liquor, require limited clothing (for coeds, not us) and use it to recruit. call it juiceland or something just as stupid. have some fun with it...it's entertainment for öööö's sake!!

savbandjacket

Dr. SBJ
They need to tie funding of all of these clubs and organizations to attendance at football and basketball games. Like if your Asian Student Club wants funding from student activity fees, then your club has to have 60% of members attend games. Something like that.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like

Actually, back in my day we didn't even need tickets. You got into the game by showing your student ID. The seats that are now the club seats were student seats and it was first come, first served. So students got there earlier to get the best seats in the place...and they were loud and right behind the visiting team's bench. Now the visiting team sits behind the quietest section in the stadium.