Student Tickets

GTFish

Varsity Lurker
I was reading the AJC and it mentioned GT students were given about 7500 tickets. This is including date passes etc. Dont we have around 14,000 students at Tech. If so, then we need to step it up with the student attendance. Home football games should be mandatory. If I told my parents I skipped a football game to study, work on my computer, hang out in the library, cook with curry, etc. they would cut off my funding to school. (Dont worry people I will never miss a game, nor do I cook with curry). If UGA has 35,000 students 34,999 of them would be in attendence if given the opportunity.

Originally posted by GTFish:
I was reading the AJC and it mentioned GT students were given about 7500 tickets. This is including date passes etc. Dont we have around 14,000 students at Tech. If so, then we need to step it up with the student attendance. Home football games should be mandatory. If I told my parents I skipped a football game to study, work on my computer, hang out in the library, cook with curry, etc. they would cut off my funding to school. (Dont worry people I will never miss a game, nor do I cook with curry). If UGA has 35,000 students 34,999 of them would be in attendence if given the opportunity.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">While I agree whole heartedly... it simply isn't reality.

Many refuse to believe that most students didn't come to Tech to attend football games. Much of the Tech student population (meaning most non-Greeks) will only attend when it is convenient, especially if you think F$U is going to hand our arse to us for the 23rd time in a row.

This reality carries over when these same students graduate. That is why MARKETING GT football PROPERLY is so important, and why we have such a hard time filling the stands.

I know plenty of people that are the biggest fans and nutcases on Saturday because of the tailgating experience, fellowship, and the chance to cheer the brave and bold. The other 6 days of the week they really don't consider GT football or the GTAA an important aspect of their life.

Policies that impede the tailgating "experience" only worsen the situation, but I digress.

The best solution to filling the seats with students, alumni, or sidewalk fans is simply to win. Everything else will sell itself... well hopefully.

Most of the Greeks show up late and leave early and spend the entire game time "seeing and being seen" rather than actually watching the game.

A tailgating story:

We showed up VERY early for a home game a few years ago to cook breakfast, when this guy pulled into the parking deck and parked right next to us. He was obviously from some county east of the Atlantic Ocean. He gave us the strangest looks for a few minutes while he was gathering up his books and putting on his backpack. He finally asked us what the hell we were doing on the top floor of the parking deck at 8am on a Saturday eating pancakes and drinking beer. We offered him a breakfast beer, he laughed, and quickly headed toward the computer cluster in the Student Center.

The poor guy didn't even know there was a football game.

We were entertained to say the least.

Go Jackets!

Duster, I mentioned this in another topic but I wanted to repeat that the AA changed the policies for Greek/Group blocks while I was there and penalized those groups that didn't show up or fill their block. The tickets they took away from the Greeks and other groups were then released to student body at large.

At this point, a lot of the holes you see are general student body tickets going unused.

Any student who doesn't take full advantage of their FREE football tickets is missing out BIG TIME in my opinion. Attending football games as a student was the best way I found to balance out all the labs, homework, computer projects, classes, and other BS you have to put up with at GT. Football season was a big part of my "college experience" that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Students:

buy more guest passes
take more friends to games
stand in line for big games
camp out for UGA tickets
demand more seats
use the seats you get
show up earlier
stand up the whole time
tailgate
get rowdy and loud
stay til the end
go to the road games (skip class if needed)

Go Jackets!

non-Greeks! We used to spit on Greeks in my day, I tell ya. Oh I was a member of a "fraternity" all right

GAMMA DELTA IOTA, babee

Originally posted by cropdusterengineer:
Most of the Greeks show up late and leave early and spend the entire game time "seeing and being seen" rather than actually watching the game.

Go Jackets!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">.
TOTAL BS!!!!! Greeks have been the leaders at Ga. Tech sporting events since the beginning. They go to the games, home and away, they bring dates, and they support the school after they graduate (in the stands and with their wallets). Greeks show more school spirit than the dorm geeks...hands down.
BOO

Ghost, you got that right!

Fall of '78 it was. I was a pledge at the best fraternity on campus. (Rip rah Rega). I found myself on some type of pledge double secret probation, and had to stay dorm bound the Friday night before a home game. Wandered down to the dorm community room, or whatever to check out the "party" atmosphere.

Silence except for the noise of textbook pages being turned... Worst college night of my life.

Back