Suggs and the modified option

techrod

Flats Noob
The modified option is run when the qb is slow ala Suggs. The running back who will get the pitchout 99% of the time can get hurt if the play is not exactly right. The line has to execute their blocks perfectly. I remember Luginbill who was also very slow tried it the first day Steagall was movedto tailback. Well the pitchout got to Derrick and wham so did a big Tar Hill. Steagalls arm was broken.

And your point is??

Should we not run it? Do we need more work on it? Does AJ need to keep it a few times to set it up better? What?

I remember the Stegall incident well. The reason he got hit hard was that Luginbill pitched when he had no reason to. The play was obviously going nowhere and he panicked. Stegall was hung out to dry. The broken arm was just one of those things but he did get nailed on the play.

Ncjacket, the example I gave and that you remember so well is the reason a slow footed, unathletic, and panicky qb should not run that option. I am referind to Suggs and his athletic likeness to Luginbill. We have been sucessful so far, because the line has carried out their assignments to the T. Suggs has run, but not on this type of play. the defense will really key on the trailing back and if the line messes up one time someone might get hurt. The defense will key the back until Suggs decides to tuck it under his arm himself. I don't think he will do that. Luginbill ran that play only ONCE and a player broke his arm. The ball arrived and the tackler hit his arm at the exact same moment.

okay, I just wasn't sure what your point was. IMO any poorly run option is dangerous, mainly the risk of turnovers. To be honest, I don't think the risk of injury is any different than any play where a guy can potentially get hit while making a play on the ball. Such as a WR getting nailed trying to catch a high pass. I think the execution on the Stegall play was very poor, but the injury was a freak occurrence.

ncjacket, no argument on your statement. My only point is to say we have a starting qb who reminds me a little too much Luginbill. He could not run or pass and we suffered. Tech now does have much better players today which has helped our record as opposed to Luginbill's team.

NCJacket, the defense will not honor the qb keep on the option if you don't make it a threat based on number of keeps, ability to hurt you, etc. We have not done either. That's not to say that an occaisional big play can occur (Godsey vs. Georgia in Athens), but overall, it is unlikely.

One of the great mysteries of this season is not giving Bilbo a chance to run the option. He comes in, runs his obligatory qb draw, throws a pass and goes and sits down.

Suggs doesn't seem comfortable running the option, and we should just can it at this point.

Except that it worked against FSU. It's not really an option in my mind but if it works, whatever it is why stop? Now it may not work against Ga and for that matter may not be in the game plan. It seemed to be just a way to get us to the outside against the FSU defense.

Back