Surprise team in the ACC this year

texstinger

Dodd-Like
I think, ACC record wise, it will be unc. I do not have a feel for GT yet, although I think we will be better with a more experienced QB. O line ?'s remain to me. Can not get a feel for the final record. UNC has a dangerous QB (remember #14?).

UNC

GT fans are chalking up UNC as a sure win. They forget that GT and UNC were tied after 3 quarters last year.
The game will be on the road this year, and UNC will be improved. It will be a tough battle.

Surprise! I think UVa could go 9-2 with their schedule. They get UNC, Clemson, Maryland, Syracuse, Akron, and Miami all at home. They should expect to win those except Miami. They have to go to Temple, Duke, FSU, GT, and VT. FSU is the only game they can expect to lose. The set up is nice, as they have a good shot to start 5-0.

Surprise! Clemson will not have a top 10 season like they are talking. The schedule is not conducive. They have a 3 game stretch at TX A&M, at FSU, and at UVa. In addition they travel to Miami later in the year. They also host Maryland and NC State back to back. Clemson could lose up to 5 games.

If Florida State can manage to sneak a win in the first game at Miami, they will go unbeaten. The only challenges will be at Maryland and at NC State (Thurs night game). Chris Rix could get serious Heisman talk in this scenario. Talk about surprises!

UNC should do better than the past 2 seasons. The defense should improve and QB Durant seems good but is puzzling. He makes good plays but always seems to make a big mistake or not come through in the clutch. Could be his surrounding cast. UNC has the schedule to win up to 7 if things fall right. In addition to William & Mary, they will have a decent chance against GT, Louisville, VT, @Utah, @Duke, @Wake. I don't expect them to win all those, 4 to 5 is more likely.

Maryland should win 7 to 8 games. A little down from past seasons.

NC State could lose 5 or 6 games. Ohio State, @VT, @Maryland, Miami, FSU look like sure losses.

GT is puzzling to me. The schedule is tough and front loaded. We really are looking at a potential 1-4 start. GT has to win a road game @Clemson or @UNC to have any chance of continuing the bowl streak.

Ga Tech!!!

The Yellow Jackets are not as bad as almost every single magazine thinks. Do not underestimate the value of an experienced Oline & a full yr's experience for our QB. The only place Tech hurts at is LB & Wilkinson will make things work there. Wilkinson is very good.
I see it as a Miami/FSU race because of their experienced QBs. GT/Clem for 3rd, again because of the QBs. UMd/UVa for 5th because of the lack of a bonafide QB. NCar(Durant) for 7th & might kick up to the fight for 5th. VT/NC St for 8th & Duke/WF just not having it.

Re: Ga Tech!!!

You know Ace, I was just thinking the same thing today after reading the preview just posted on the sports blog.

While I'm not going to say that we're going to contend for a national championship, or even an ACC title this year, I think we're going to surpise a lot of people. It seems that we're been getting the short end of the stick because we're a team that doesn't have any "stars", even with our defensive secondary that I believe is going to be one of the best in the nation. Maybe its just me, but it seems to me that we're getting the same treatment that our basketball team got during the fall of last year, you know, "decent, but probably middle/bottom of the ACC with a low postseason appearance".

Lets face it though, GT is going to be the underdog most of the time, cause people just don't think we can do it, we don't really fit the mold of what a university with a good sports program should look like and personally I like proving them. Third year seems to be a charm for us, and something tells me that Gailey, Tenuta, and crew are going to lead the Jackets to a suprising season.

I hope they don't prove me wrong, but the team I'm seeing come together has a lot of "want to" and that means a lot, and honestly thats what Tech fans want. Look at how loved Kelly Rhino was, he wasn't (by usual definition) that good, he didn't break every return for a bunch of yards but he took the ball and more often than not laid a hell of a hit on the guy trying to take him down. Thats what Tech wants, and I see it developing in our team(s) more now than in a while.

Re: Ga Tech!!!

Good posts by all. I agree with 3 predominate themes: Virginia could be very good, UNC may be better than a lot of people think, and that GT is once again underrated. You gentlemen may be interested to read what Sporting News has to say about the Jackets. They have an interesting feature entitled "An ACC Coach Says..." which is meant to be a candid appraisal of your team by an opposing coach. You have to wonder how candid the guy is and how much is coachspeak but it does have the ring of authenticity. "Reggie Ball scared us to death last year...." Talking about the defense he says: "Schemewise GT does as good a job as anyone in the conference. How they teach those kids all those blitzes is just amazing." He goes on to marvel at the complexities of both the offenses and defenses at Tech. He does say that Ball needs to do a better job of leading the team back from 4th quarter deficits e.g. FSU. Reading between the lines I gather that Chan has the respect of his peers. Secondly, I thought that the reason for all the blitzes would be clear namely; that our cornerbacks have not been all that great for a number of years. Thinking back to O'Leary's time I can recall only 1 bona fide cover corner that being Lethon Flowers. Being able to teach our players the complex schemes should not have been a mystery. Tech has intelligent boys blessed with good character and a willingness to be coachable. No mystery there. Overall I think the article reveals some of the reason why Tech through the years has done better than their recruiting rankings and talent level would suggest much to the consternation of recruiting analysts who almost invariably regard Tech recruits as mediocre at best. As always THWG

Back